Effect of Reduced Plantar Sensation on Human Gaits on Various Terrains
Shinichiro Suzuki, Akira Chaki, Kentaro Sekiguchi,
Ming Ding, Hiroshi Takemura, and Hiroshi Mizoguchi
Tokyo University of Science, 2641 Yamazaki, Noda, Chiba 278-8510, Japan
-  T. Furuna and H. Shimada, “Gait and Fall of Elderly – From the Findings of Epidemiological Research –,” Society of Biomechanism Japan, Vol.30, No.3, 2006.
-  S. Hiromitsu and T. Maeno, “Stick/slip Distribution on the Fingerpad and Response of Tactile Receptors when Human Grasp an Object,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.68, No.667, pp. 914-919, 2002.
-  J. K. Richardson, S. B. Thies, T. K. DeMott, and J. A. Ashton-Miller, “A Comparison of Gait Characteristics Between Older Women with and Without Peripheral Neuropathy in Standard and Challenging Environments,” JAGS SEPTEMBER Vol.52, No.9, 2004.
-  E. Eils, S. Behrens, O. Mersa, L. Thorwesten, K. Volker, and D. Rosenbaum, “Reduced plantar sensation causes a cautious walking pattern,” Gait and Posture Vol.20, pp. 54-60, 2004.
-  A. J. Taylor, H. B.Menz, and A.-M. Keenan, “Effects of experimentally induced plantar insensitivity on forces and pressures under the foot during normal walking,” Gait and posture Vol.20, pp. 232-237, 2004.
-  M. A. Nurse and B. M. Nigg, “The effect of changes in foot sensation on plantar pressure and muscle activity,” Clinical Biomechanics Vol.16, pp. 719-727, 2006.
-  W. P. Berg, H. M. Alessio, E. M. Mills, and C. Tong, “Circumstances and consequences of falls in independent communitydwelling older adults,” Oxford Journals, Age and Ageing Vol.26, pp. 261-268, 1997.
-  S. Morioka “Effect of Perceptual Learning Training of Foot Sole on Standing Posture Balance in Elderly,” Theses for research promotion of Health and Medical Science, Vol.21, pp. 107-113, 2006.
-  H. Asai, I. Nara, K. Tachino, K. Fujiwara, and M. Yamashita, “The Effect of Cooled Soles by Cold Air on Standing Postural Control and Extent of Valid Supporting Base,” Physicotherapeutics (Japan), Vol.18, No.1, pp. 19-25, 1991.
-  M. Miwa,“Influence of the Cold Therapy on Nurve Conduction Velocity,” Physicotherapeutics (Japan), Vol.32(supplement 2), p. 234, 2005.
-  A. A. Algafly and K. P. George, “The effect of cryotherapy on nerve conduction velocity, pain threshold and pain tolerance,” British J. of sports medicine, Vol.41, No.6, pp. 365-369, 2007.
-  K. Sekiguchi, S. Suzuki, H. Takemura, and H. Mizoguchi, “Walking Analysis by 6-axis Force Sensor for Simultaneous Measuring of Plantar Deformation,” IEEE SENSORS 2009 CONFERENCE (SENSORS 2009), pp. 177-180, 2009.
-  H. Maruyama, “Motor Function and Gait in the Aged,” Physicotherapeutics (Japan), Vol.14, No.3 , pp. 101-105, 2009.
-  H. B. Menz, L. S. Rord, and R. C. Fitzpatrick, “Age-related differences in walking stability,” Age Ageing, Vol.32, No.2, pp. 137-142, 2003.
-  O. Ishihara, “Cognitive Function and Biomechanism of Elderly,” Society of Biomechanism Japan, Vol.27, No.1, pp. 6-9, 2003.
-  A. Gabell and U. S. L. Nayak, “The Effect of Age on Variability in Gait,” J. of Gerontology, Vol.39, No.6, pp. 662-666, 1984.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.