Design and Prototype of Variable Gravity Compensation Mechanism (VGCM)
Naoyuki Takesue*, Takashi Ikematsu*,
Hideyuki Murayama**, and Hideo Fujimoto***
*Tokyo Metropolitan University, 6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino-shi, Tokyo 191-0065, Japan
**Toyota Motor Corporation, Japan
***Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan
A machine moving vertically requires strong gravitational resistance. Gravity compensation mechanisms devised to reduce actuator force mostly compensate for constant weight, but practical use requires that the mechanism compensate for weight variations. This paper presents a Variable Gravity Compensation Mechanism (VGCM) that uses two types of linear springs and changes the equilibrium position of one. The mechanism principle is described and the prototype is designed. Performance is experimentally confirmed.
Hideyuki Murayama, and Hideo Fujimoto, “Design and Prototype of Variable Gravity Compensation Mechanism (VGCM),” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.2, pp. 249-257, 2011.
-  T. Rahman, R. Ramanathan, R. Seliktar, and W. Harwin, “A simple technique to passively gravity-balance articulated mechanism,” ASME Trans. on Mechanisms Design, Vol.117, No.4, pp. 655-658, 1995.
-  T. Morita, F. Kurihara, Y. Shiozawa, and S. Sugano, “MECHANICAL WEIGHT COMPENSATION APPARATUS,” Japan Patent, Registration No.4144021.
-  T. Morita, F. Kuribara, Y. Shiozawa, and S. Sugano, “A Novel Mechanism Design for Gravity Compensation in Three Dimensional Space,” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM2003), pp. 163-168, 2003.
-  Y. Araki, T. Nakayama, and H. Fujimoto, “Development of Gravity Compensation System for Engine Carrier,” Proc. of the 2010 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1A2-A22, 2010.
-  N. Ulrich and V. Kumar, “Passive Mechanical Gravity Compensation for Robot Manipulators,” Proc. of the 1991 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA1991), pp. 1536-1541, 1991.
-  G. Endo and S. Hirose, “A Weight Compensation Mechanism with a Non-Circular Pulley and a Spring – Application to a Parallel Link Manipulator –,” Proc. of the 2008 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1A1-G20, 2008.
-  G. Endo, H. Yamada, M. Ogata, and S. Hirose, “Development of a Light Duty Arm for a Cellular Manufacturing System – Effectiveness of aWeight Compensation Mechanism with a Non-circular Pulley and a Spring –,” Proc. of The 26th Annual Conf. of The Robotics Society of Japan, RSJ2008AC3A3-05, 2008.
-  G. Endo, H. Yamada, A. Yajima, M. Ogata, and S. Hirose, “A Weight Compensation Mechanism with a Non-Circular Pulley and a Spring: Application to a Parallel Four-Bar Linkage Arm,” SICE J. of Control, Measurement, and System Integration, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 130-136, 2010.
-  Y. Yamada and T. Morita, “Mechanical Gravity Canceller with Oscillating Block Slider Crank Mechanism,” Trans. JSME Series C, Vol.76, No.767, pp. 1797-1803, 2010.
-  K. Koser, “A cam mechanism for gravity-balancing,” Mechanics Research Communications, Vol.36, pp. 523-530, 2009.
-  N. Takesue, T. Ikematsu, H. Murayama, and H. Fujimoto, “Design and Development of Gravity Compensation Mechanism Using Cam and Spring,” Proc. of The 27th Annual Conf. of The Robotics Society of Japan, RSJ2009AC3K1-01, 2009.
-  N. Takesue, T. Ikematsu, H. Murayama, and H. Fujimoto, “Design and Development of Gravity Compensation Mechanism Using Rotational Cam and Spring,” Proc. of 10th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf., 3J1-4, pp. 1779-1780, 2009.
-  N. Nakagawa, T. Okuno, and Y. Sekiguchi, “A Study on Improvement of Constant Repulsive Force Characteristic,” Trans. JSME Series C, Vol.74, No.739, pp. 536-541, 2008.
-  N. Nakagawa and T. Okuno, “LIFTING DEVICE,” Japan Patent, Publication No.2008-222348.
-  T. Ogiso, F. Tajima, and F. Ozawa, “GRAVITATION BALANCING DEVICE, ARTICULATED ROBOT, AND WRIST DEVICE FOR ROBOT,” Japan Patent, Publication No.05-069378.
-  T. Kakebayashi, “LOAD COMPENSATING MECHANISM,” Japan Patent, Publication No.2007-119249.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.