Two-Dimensional Wireless Power Supply to Ubiquitous Robots Using Microwaves
Hiroyuki Shinoda*1, Yasutoshi Makino*2, Naoshi Yamahira*3,
and Hiroto Itai*4
*1The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
*3JFE Steel Corporation
*4Cellcross Co. Ltd.
This paper proposes a wireless power supply method to ubiquitous small robots using microwaves propagated in a two-dimensional waveguide (2DW). A robot working anywhere on a 2DW sheet receives the power from the sheet. The communication signal is also transmitted through the identical sheet. The structure of 2DW sheet is simple and realized with various materials at low cost. Since the microwave power is confined inside the 2DW sheet, it enables safe power transmission and communication without strong interference with the space outside the sheet.
and Hiroto Itai, “Two-Dimensional Wireless Power Supply to Ubiquitous Robots Using Microwaves,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.22, No.6, pp. 777-783, 2010.
-  H. Ishihara and T. Fukuda, “Micro Autonomous Robotic System,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.5, pp. 443-447, 1999.
-  T. Sekitani, M. Takamiya, Y. Noguchi, S. Nakano, Y. Kato, T. Sakurai, and T. Someya, “A large-area wireless power-transmission sheet using printed organic transistors and plastic MEMS switches,” Nature Materials, Vol.6, pp. 413-417, 2007.
-  N. Shinohara, H. Matsumoto, and K. Hashimoto, “Solar Power Station/Satellite (SPS) with Phase Controlled Magnetrons,” IEICE Trans. Electron, Vol.E86-C, No.8, pp. 1550-1555, 2003.
-  A. Karalis, J. D. Joannopoulos, and M. Soljačić, “Efficient wireless non-radiative mid-range energy transfer,” Annals of Physics, Vol.323, No.1, pp. 34-48, 2008.
-  N. Yamahira, Y. Makino, H. Itai, and H. Shinoda, “Proximity Connection in Two-Dimensional Signal Transmission,” Proc. SICEICASE Int. Joint Conf. 2006, Oct., Busan, Korea, pp. 2735-2740, 2006.
-  A. Noda and H. Shinoda, “Power Transmission Coupler for Low Leakage 2D-Communication Sheet,” Proc. INSS2009, Pittsburgh, June 17-19, pp. 24-30, 2009.
-  Y. Monnai and H. Shinoda, “Converting 2D Microwave into 3D Beam Using Dielectric Grating Antenna,” Proc. INSS2009, Pittsburgh, June 17-19, pp. 183-187, 2009.
-  J. D. Kraus and D. A. Fleisch, “Electromagnetics with Applications, 5th Edition,” McGraw-Hill, pp. 480-487, 1999.
-  T. Miura, N. Shinohara, and H. Matsumoto, “Experimental Study of Rectenna Connection for Microwave Power Transmission,” Electronics and Communications in Japan, Part2, Vol.84, No.2, pp. 27-36, 2001.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.