The Joint Interface of RT Components for Mobile Robots: The Activity Report Inform the Mobile Robot Working Group of the NEDO Intelligent RT Software Project
Masaharu Shimizu*1, Nobuyuki Kita*2, Toshihisa Saito*3,
Eijiro Takeuchi*4, Yusuke Nakajima*2, Naohito Takegawa*2,
Hiroki Igarashi*5, Yasuo Hayashibara*1, Hideaki Yamato*1,
Kengo Toda*1, Takayuki Furuta*1, and Makoto Mizukawa*6
*1Chiba Institute of Technology, 2-17-1 Tsudanuma, Narashino, Chiba 275-0016, Japan
*2National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba Central 2, 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8568, Japan
*3Segway Japan, Ltd., Bankokubashi Soko 303, 4-24 Kaigandori, Naka-ku, Yokohama 231-0002, Japan
*4Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba, Aramaki-Aza Aoba, Sendai, Miyagi 982-0011, Japan
*5The University of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu-shi, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
*6Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3-7-5 Toyosu, Koto-ku, Tokyo 135-8548, Japan
RT-middleware enables an interface between RT components by means of interface description language IDL, but it does not prescribe any specific format. If a unique representation format is used, it leads to a reduction in the reusability of a Robotic Technology Component (RTC). A working group of three research bodies engaged in the research and development of mobile robots was organized in the NEDO Intelligent RT Software Project, and this working group is involved in activities aimed at the jointing of RTCs for mobile robots. This paper describes specific this working group’s attempts enhance the sustainability and reusability of common RT components for mobile robots by achieving the jointing of RTCs for mobile robots.
-  T. Kotoku and M. Mizukawa, “Robot Middleware and its Standardization in OMG –Report on OMG Technical Meetings in St. Louis and Boston–,” Proc. of SICE-ICCAS2006, pp. 2028-2031, 2006.
-  “Robotic Technology Component Specification Version 1.0,” OMG Document Number: formal/2008-04-04, 2008.
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K, Kitagaki, T. Kotoku, and W.-K. Yoon, “RTmiddleware: distributed component middleware for RT (robot technology),” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on robots and intelligent systems, pp. 3555-3560, 2005.
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K. Kitagaki, and T. Kotoku, “RT(Robot Technology)-Component and its Standardization –Towards Component Based Networked Robot Systems Development–,” Proc. of SICE-ICCAS2006, pp. 2633-2638, 2006.
-  K. Okano and Y. Yasukawa, “Overview of Intelligent RT Software Project,” Proc. of the 27th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, RSJ2009AC1D1-01, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  S. Nishino, “Standard for Robotic Localization,” Workshop Proc. of SIMPAR 2008 Int. Conf. on Simulation, Modeling and Programming for Autonomous Robots, pp. 604-615, 2008.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.