Flexible Tactile Sensor Skin Using Wireless Sensor Elements Coupled with 2D Microwaves
Hiroyuki Shinoda*, Hiromasa Chigusa**, and Yasutoshi Makino***
*The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
**Future Architect, Inc.
-  H. R. Nicholls and M. H. Lee, “A Survey of Robot Tactile Sensing Technology,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 3-30, 1989.
-  M. H. Lee and H. R. Nicholls, “Tactile sensing for mechatronics – a state of the art survey,” Mechatronics, Vol.9, pp. 1-31, 1999.
-  K. Kamiyama, K. Vlack, H. Kajimoto, N. Kawakami, and S. Tachi, “Vision-Based Sensor for Real-Time Measuring of Surface Traction Fields,” IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications Magazine, Jan-Feb, Jan-Feb, pp. 68-75, 2005.
-  Y. Ohmura, Y. Kuniyoshi, and A. Nagakubo, “Conformable and Scalable Tactile Sensor Skin for Curved Surfaces,” Proc. of the 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Orlando, Florida, pp. 1348-1353, May 2006.
-  A. Nagakubo, H. Alirezaei, and Y. Kuniyoshi, “A deformable and deformation sensitive tactile distribution sensor,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics 2007, Vol.15, Issue 18, pp. 1301-1308, 2007.
-  Y. Kato, T. Hayakawa, and T. Mukai, “Soft Areal Tactile Sensor Using Tomography Algorithm,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.4, 2008.
-  H. Kawaguchi, T. Someya, T. Sekitani, and T. Sakurai, “Cut-and-Paste Customization of Organic FET Integrated Circuit and Its Application to Electronic Artificial Skin,” IEEE J. of Solid-State Circuits, Vol.40, No.1, pp. 177-185, 2005.
-  J. Engel, J. Chen, Z. Fan, and C. Liu, “Polymer micromachined multimodal tactile sensors,” Sensors and Actuators A-Physical, Vol.117, No.1, pp. 50-61, 2005.
-  M. Shimojo, T. Arakil, M. Teranishi, A. Ming, and M. Ishikawa, “A net-structure tactile sensor covering freeform surface with reduced wiring,” SICE 2008 – 47th Annual Conf. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers of Japan, pp. 904-9, 2008.
-  M. Hakozaki, H. Oasa, and H. Shinoda, “Telemetric Robot Skin,” Proc. 1999 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 957-961, 1999.
-  M. Hakozaki and H. Shinoda, “Digital Tactile Sensing Elements Communicating through Conductive Skin Layers,” Proc. 2002 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 3813-3817, 2002.
-  K. V. Laerhoven, N. Villar, A. Schmidt, and H. W. Gellersen, “Pin & Play: The Surface as Network Medium,” IEEE Communication Magazine, pp. 90-95, 2003.
-  J. Lifton and J. Paradiso, “Pushpin Computing System Overview: A Platform for Distributed, Embedded, Ubiquitous Sensor Networks,” Proc. Perv. Comp., LNCS 2414, pp. 139-151, 2002.
-  H. Chigusa, Y. Makino, and H. Shinoda, “Large Area Sensor Skin Based on Two-Dimensional Signal Transmission Technology,” Proc.World Haptics 2007, Tsukuba, Japan, pp. 151-156, Mar. 2007.
-  Y. Makino, K. Minamizawa, and H. Shinoda, “Two Dimensional Communication Technology for Networked Sensing System,” Proc. INSS 2005, pp. 168-173, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.