Evaluation of Acceptability and Usability of a Parking Assistance System for Elderly Drivers – Relationship Between Experiment Results, Gender, Driving Frequency and Driving Styles –
Naohisa Hashimoto*, Shin Kato*, and Sadayuki Tsugawa*,**
*National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), AIST East, 1-2-1 Namiki, Tsukuba-Shi, Ibaraki-Ken 301-8564, Japan
**Meijo University, 1-501 Shiogamaguchi, Tempaku-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi-ken 468-8502, Japan
The safe, comfortable mobility of elderly drivers may be compromised by physical and mental aging problems. We have focused on parking assistance. Most parking assistance systems are on-board – and expensive, which means that those really needing assistance, such as elderly drivers, cannot afford them. We propose “guidance” and “education” parking systems and evaluated them in experiments with 18 elderly drivers to find relationships between system types and driving styles. Among other things, our results indicate that assistance systems are less effective with daily drivers than with those who drive less often daily.
-  Cabinet Office, “White Paper on Traffic Safety in Japan 2006,” p.11, 2006.
-  N. Hashimoto, S. Kato, N. Minobe, and S. Tsugawa, “Guidance System to Desired Spot for Charging by Communications,” EVS-22, 2006.
-  S. Wybo, R. Bendahan, S. Bougnoux, C. Vestri, F. Abad, and T. Kakinami, “Movement detection for safer backward maneuver,” 13th ITS-World Congress, 2006.
-  H. Satonaka, M. Okuda, S. Hayasaka, T. Endo, Y. Tanaka, and T. Yoshida, “Development of parking space detection using an ultrasonic sensor,” 13th ITS-World Congress, 2006.
-  H. Jung, C. Choi, D. Kim, and P. Yoon, “System Configuration of Intelligent Parking Assistant System,” 13th ITS-World Congress, 2006.
-  Y. Abramson and B. Steux, “Hardware-friendly pedestrian detection and impact prediction,” Proc. of IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2004.
-  A. Scheuer and C. Laugier, “Planning: Sub-Optimal and Continuous Curvature Paths for Car-Like Robots,” IEEE-RSJ, Intelligent Robots and Systems, 1998.
-  M. Wada, K. S. Yoon, and H. Hashimoto, “Development of Advanced Parking Assistance System,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.50, No.1, pp. 4-17, 2003.
-  J. Hermosillo, C. Pradalier, S. Sekhavat, and C. Laugier, “Machine Intelligence and Robotic Control Journal,” Vol.5, No.3, pp. 95-102, 2004.
-  M. Omae, N. Hashimoto, T. Fujioka, and H. Shimiz, “The Application of RTK-GPS and Steer-Bywire Technology to the Automatic Driving of Vehicles and an Evaluation of Driver Behavior,” IATSS RESEARCH, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 29-38, 2006.
-  K. Sakai and S. Hironaka, “A Study on System for Reducing Driver’s strain for parking assistance,” JSAE-Spring-Congress, No.10-06, pp. 9-12, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  N. Hashimoto, S. Kato, and S. Tsugawa, “HMI for Elderly Drivers in an Off-vehicle Parking Assistance System,” IEEE-Intelligent Vehicle, 2008.
-  N. Hashimoto, S. Kato, N. Minobe, and S. Tsugawa, “Autonoumous Vehicle Guidance Throgh Cooperation Between Vehicles,” Proc. of 13th ITS-WC, 2006.
-  N. Hashimoto, S. Kato, and S. Tsugawa, “A Study on System for Improving Parking Operation of Elderly Drivers –Assistance and Instruction–,” Pro.IEEE-ICVES, 2008.
-  M. Akamatsu, T. Kurahashi, and M. Ishibashi, “Driver’s Status Assessment Using Physical Measures,” Proc. of the XVth Triennial Congress of the Int. Ergonomics Association, 2003.
-  M. Kamata and M. Shino., “Mobility Devices for the Elderly –Silver Vehicle Feasibility–,” IATSS RESEARCH Vol.30, No.1, pp. 52-59, 2006.
-  K. Renge, “Driving incidents, performance, and hazard perception for elderly drivers,” 4th Int. Conf. on Traffic and Transport Psychology, 2003.
-  S. Tsugawa, “Elderly Driver Assistance Systems with Cooperation between Vehicles: the Concept and Experiments,” Proc. of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium, pp. 668-673, 2007.
-  M. Tokoro, “Driving behaviours of elderly drivers in the daily lives,” Proc.ICTTP2004, 2004.
-  M. Kawai, M. Kawasumi, T. Nakano, and S. Yamamoto, “Displaying method in on-board display- route guidance method based on sex differences,” Proc. of Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2003.
-  L. Galea and D. Kimura, “Sex difference in the Brain, Personality and Individual Differences,” Vol.14, pp. 53-65, 1993.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.