Evaluation of Acceptability and Usability of a Parking Assistance System for Elderly Drivers - Relationship Between Experiment Results, Gender, Driving Frequency and Driving Styles -
Naohisa Hashimoto*, Shin Kato*, and Sadayuki Tsugawa*,**
*National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), AIST East, 1-2-1 Namiki, Tsukuba-Shi, Ibaraki-Ken 301-8564, Japan
**Meijo University, 1-501 Shiogamaguchi, Tempaku-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi-ken 468-8502, Japan
-  Cabinet Office, “White Paper on Traffic Safety in Japan 2006,” p.11, 2006.
-  N. Hashimoto, S. Kato, N. Minobe, and S. Tsugawa, “Guidance System to Desired Spot for Charging by Communications,” EVS-22, 2006.
-  S. Wybo, R. Bendahan, S. Bougnoux, C. Vestri, F. Abad, and T. Kakinami, “Movement detection for safer backward maneuver,” 13th ITS-World Congress, 2006.
-  H. Satonaka, M. Okuda, S. Hayasaka, T. Endo, Y. Tanaka, and T. Yoshida, “Development of parking space detection using an ultrasonic sensor,” 13th ITS-World Congress, 2006.
-  H. Jung, C. Choi, D. Kim, and P. Yoon, “System Configuration of Intelligent Parking Assistant System,” 13th ITS-World Congress, 2006.
-  Y. Abramson and B. Steux, “Hardware-friendly pedestrian detection and impact prediction,” Proc. of IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2004.
-  A. Scheuer and C. Laugier, “Planning: Sub-Optimal and Continuous Curvature Paths for Car-Like Robots,” IEEE-RSJ, Intelligent Robots and Systems, 1998.
-  M. Wada, K. S. Yoon, and H. Hashimoto, “Development of Advanced Parking Assistance System,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.50, No.1, pp. 4-17, 2003.
-  J. Hermosillo, C. Pradalier, S. Sekhavat, and C. Laugier, “Machine Intelligence and Robotic Control Journal,” Vol.5, No.3, pp. 95-102, 2004.
-  M. Omae, N. Hashimoto, T. Fujioka, and H. Shimiz, “The Application of RTK-GPS and Steer-Bywire Technology to the Automatic Driving of Vehicles and an Evaluation of Driver Behavior,” IATSS RESEARCH, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 29-38, 2006.
-  K. Sakai and S. Hironaka, “A Study on System for Reducing Driver’s strain for parking assistance,” JSAE-Spring-Congress, No.10-06, pp. 9-12, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  N. Hashimoto, S. Kato, and S. Tsugawa, “HMI for Elderly Drivers in an Off-vehicle Parking Assistance System,” IEEE-Intelligent Vehicle, 2008.
-  N. Hashimoto, S. Kato, N. Minobe, and S. Tsugawa, “Autonoumous Vehicle Guidance Throgh Cooperation Between Vehicles,” Proc. of 13th ITS-WC, 2006.
-  N. Hashimoto, S. Kato, and S. Tsugawa, “A Study on System for Improving Parking Operation of Elderly Drivers –Assistance and Instruction–,” Pro.IEEE-ICVES, 2008.
-  M. Akamatsu, T. Kurahashi, and M. Ishibashi, “Driver’s Status Assessment Using Physical Measures,” Proc. of the XVth Triennial Congress of the Int. Ergonomics Association, 2003.
-  M. Kamata and M. Shino., “Mobility Devices for the Elderly –Silver Vehicle Feasibility–,” IATSS RESEARCH Vol.30, No.1, pp. 52-59, 2006.
-  K. Renge, “Driving incidents, performance, and hazard perception for elderly drivers,” 4th Int. Conf. on Traffic and Transport Psychology, 2003.
-  S. Tsugawa, “Elderly Driver Assistance Systems with Cooperation between Vehicles: the Concept and Experiments,” Proc. of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium, pp. 668-673, 2007.
-  M. Tokoro, “Driving behaviours of elderly drivers in the daily lives,” Proc.ICTTP2004, 2004.
-  M. Kawai, M. Kawasumi, T. Nakano, and S. Yamamoto, “Displaying method in on-board display- route guidance method based on sex differences,” Proc. of Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2003.
-  L. Galea and D. Kimura, “Sex difference in the Brain, Personality and Individual Differences,” Vol.14, pp. 53-65, 1993.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.