Usability Evaluation of Variable-Scale Microteleoperation System
Takahiro Kanno* and Yasuyoshi Yokokohji**
*Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University, Yoshida-honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
**Graduate School of Engineering, Kobe University, 1-1 Rokkohdaicho, Nada-ku, Kobe 657-8501, Japan
The usability of variable-scale micromanipulation system we developed previously, which consists of manipulation and vision subsystems, is evaluated. Based on preliminary usability testing results, we introduced a modified user interface providing more intuitive operation and conducted usability testing of the system including the improved interface. Results showed that variable scaling is significantly more effective than fixed scaling – but only for subjects used to the system.
-  G. S. Guthart and J. K. Salisbury, Jr., “The IntuitiveTM Tele-surgery System: Overview and Application,” Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 618-621, 2000.
-  J. E. Colgate, “Robust Impedance Shaping Telemanipulation,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 374-384, 1993.
-  H. Kobayashi and H. Nakamura, “A Scaled Teleoperation,” IEEE Int. Workshop on Robot and Human Communication, pp. 269-274, 1992.
-  Y. Yokokohji, N. Hosotani, J. Ueda, and T. Yoshikawa, “A Micro Teleoperation System for Compensating Scaling Effects Based on Environment Model,” Proc. of Japan-U.S.A. Symposium on Flexible Automation, pp. 709-716, 1994.
-  R. V. Dubey, S. E. Everett, and N. Pernalete, “Teleoperation Assistance Through Variable Velocity Mapping,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.17, No.5, pp. 761-766, 2001.
-  D. Botturi, S. Galvan, M. Vicentini, and C. Secchi, “Perception-Centric Force Scaling Function for Stable Bilateral Interaction,” Proc. of the 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4051-4056, 2009.
-  A. Sano, H. Fujimoto, and T. Takai, “Human-Centered Scaling in Micro-Teleoperation,” Proc. of the 2001 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 380-385, 2001.
-  M. Boukhnifer, A. Ferreira, and J. G. Fontaine, “Scaled Teleoperation Controller Design for Micromanipulation over Internet,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4577-4583, 2004.
-  M. Boukhnifer and A. Ferreira, “Wave-based Passive Control for Transparent Micro-teleoperation System,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.54, No.7, pp. 601-615, 2006.
-  E. B. Vander Poorten, T. Kanno, and Y. Yokokohji, “Robust Variable-Scale Bilateral Control for Micro Teleoperation,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2008), pp. 655-662, 2008.
-  P. Apkarian, P. Gahinet and G. Becker, “Self-Scheduled H∞ Control of Linear Parameter-Varying Systems: A Design Example,” Automatica, Vol.31, No.9, pp. 1251-1261, 1995.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.