Simulating Self-Reproduction of Cells in a Two-Dimensional Cellular Automaton
Dept. of Product Engineering and Environmental Management, Nippon Institute of Technology, 4-1 Gakuendai, Miyasiro, Minami-Saitama, Saitama 345-8501, Japan
Clarifying generalized self-reproduction is basic to applications in fields such as molecular machine production in nanotechnology and synthetic biology. The two-dimensional cellular automaton model we developed simulated cellular self-reproduction using a few state transition rules.
-  J. von Neumann, “Theory of self-replicating automata,” University of Illinois Press, 1966.
-  D. Mange, A. Stauffer, L. Peparolo, and G. Tempesti, “A macroscopic view of self-replication,” Proc. of the IEEE 92, pp. 1929-1945, 2004.
-  C. Langton ed., “Artificial Life,” pp. 1-48, Addison-Wesley, 1989.
-  J. A. Reggia, J. D. Lohn, and H. H. Chou, “Self-replicating structures: Evolution, emergence, and computation,” Artificial Life, Vol.4, pp. 283-302, 1998.
-  M. Sipper, “Fifty years of research on self-replication: An overview,” Artificial Life, Vol.4, pp. 237-257, 1998.
-  P. Gray and S. K. Scott, “Autocatalytic reactions in the isothermal, continuous stirred tank reactor: oscillations and instabilities in the system A+2B→3B, B→C,” Chemical Engineering Science, Vol.39, pp. 1087-1097, 1984.
-  J. E. Pearson, “Complex patterns in a simple system,” Science, Vol.261, pp. 189-192, 1993.
-  A. M. Turing, “The chemical basis of morphogenesis,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, Vol.237, pp. 37-72, 1952.
-  F. G. Feugier, A. Mochizuki, and Y. Iwasa, “Self-organization of the vascular system in plant leaves: Inter-dependent dynamics of auxin flux and carrier proteins,” J. of Theoretical Biology, Vol.236, pp. 366-375, 2005.
-  T. Alarcón, H. M. Byrne, and P. K. Maini, “A cellular automaton model for tumour growth in inhomogeneous environment,” J. Theor. Biol., Vol.225, No.2, pp. 257-274, 2003.
-  H. Suzuki and P. Dittrich, “Artificial Chemistry,” Artificial Life, Vol.15, pp. 1-3, 2009.
-  M. Tomita, K. Hashimoto, K. Takahashi, T. Shimizu, Y. Matsuzaki, F. Miyashi, K. Saito, S. Tanida, K. Yugi, J. C. Venter, and C. Hutchison, “E-CELL: Software environment for whole-cell simulation,” Bioinformatics, Vol.15, pp. 72-84, 1999.
-  N. Le Novere et al., “The systems biology graphical notation,” Nat biotechnology, Vol.27, pp. 735-741, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.