Nanoliters Discharge/Suction by Thermoresponsive Polymer Actuated Probe and Applied for Single Cell Manipulation
Masaru Takeuchi*, Masahiro Nakajima**, Masaru Kojima*,
and Toshio Fukuda*,**
*Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 464-8603, Japan
**Center For Micro-nano Mechatronics, Nagoya University
-  Y. Wakamoto, J. Ramsden, and K. Yasuda, “Single-cell Growth and Division Dynamics Showing Epigenetic Correlations,” Analyst, Vol.130, pp. 311-317, 2005.
-  G. T. Roman, Y. Chen, P. Viberg, A. H. Culbertson, and C. T. Culbertson, “Single-cell Manipulation and Analysis using Microfluidic Devices,” Anal. Bioanal. Chem., Vol.387, pp. 9-12, 2007.
-  H. Takamatsu, S. Uchida, and T. Matsuda, “In Situ Harvesting of Adhered Target Cells using Thermoresponsive Substrate under a Microscope: Principle and instrumentation,” J. of Biotech., Vol.134, pp. 297-304, 2008.
-  K. Inoue, T. Tanikawa, and T. Arai, “Micro-manipulation System with a Two-fingered Micro-hand and Its Potential Application in Bioscience,” J. of Biotech., Vol.133, pp. 219-224, 2008.
-  P. J. Hung, P. J. Lee, P. Sabounchi, R. Lin, and L. P. Lee, “Continuous Perfusion Microfluidic Cell Culture Array for High-Throughput Cell-Based Assays,” Biotech. and Bioeng., Vol.89, No.1, 2005.
-  Y. Wang, Z. Z. Chen, and Q. L. Li, “Microfluidic Techniques for Dynamic Single-cell Analysis,” Microchim Acta, Vol.168, pp. 177-195, 2010.
-  R. W. Clarke, J. D. Piper, L. Ying, and D. Klenerman, “Surface Conductivity of Biological Macromolecules Measured by Nanopipette Dielectrophoresis,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol.98, pp. 198102, 2007.
-  S. Maruo, K. Ikuta, and H. Korogi, “Submicron Manipulation Tools Driven by Light in a Liquid,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.82, pp. 133-135, 2003.
-  F. Arai, K. Yoshikawa, T. Sakami, and T. Fukuda, “Synchronized Laser Micromanipulation of Multiple Targets along Each Trajectory by Single Laser,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.85, pp. 4301-4303, 2004.
-  H. Uvet, A. Hasegawa, K. Ohara, T. Takubo, Y. Mae, and T. Arai, “Vision-Based Automated Single-Cell Loading and Supply System,” IEEE Trans. on Nanobiosci., Vol.8, pp. 332-340, 2009.
-  Y. Sun and X. F. Yin, “Novel Multi-depth Microfluidic Chip for Single Cell Analysis,” J. of Chromatography A, Vol.1117, pp. 228-233, 2006.
-  D. D. Carlo, L. Y. Wu, and L. P. Lee, “Dynamic single cell culture array,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.6, pp. 1445-1449, 2006.
-  W. H. Tan and S. Takeuchi, “A Trap-and-release Integrated Microfluidic System for Dynamic Microarray Applications,” PNAS, Vol.104, pp. 1146-1151, 2007.
-  M. Takeuchi, M. Nakajima, and T. Fukuda, “Semi-closed Microchip for Probe Manipulation and the Target Cell Harvesting,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1838-1843, 2009.
-  M. Takeuchi, M. Nakajima, and T. Fukuda, “Semi-closed Microchip for Probe Manipulation and Its Application for Single Cell Analysis,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.75, pp. 3261-3266, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  H. Ushijima, K. Ishida, and H. Nagashima, “Bovine Nucleus Transplantation by Intracytoplasmic Injection,” J. of Reproduction and Development, Vol.48, pp. 619-626, 2002.
-  A. Ichikawa, F. Arai, K. Yoshikawa, T. Uchida, and T. Fukuda, “In Situ Formation of a Gel Microbead for Indirect Laser Micromanipulation of Microorganisms,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.87, p. 191108, 2005.
-  Y. Yamanishi, J. Teramoto, Y. Magariyama, A. Ishihama, T. Fukuda, and F. Arai, “On-chip Cell Immobilization and Monitoring System Using Thermosensitive Gel Controlled by Suspended Polymeric Microbridge,” IEEE Trans. on Nanobiosci., Vol.8, pp. 312-317, 2009.
-  D. Walsh, S. R. Hall, A. Moir, S. C. Wimbush, and B. Palazzo, “Carbonated Water Mediated Preparation of Poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) Thermoresponsive Gels and Liquids,” Biomacromol., Vol.8, pp. 3800-3805, 2007.
-  F. Arai, A. Ichikawa, T. Fukuda, and T. Katsuragi, “Isolation and Extraction of Target Microbes Using Thermal Sol-gel Transformation,” Analyst, Vol.128, pp. 547-551, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.