Nanoliters Discharge/Suction by Thermoresponsive Polymer Actuated Probe and Applied for Single Cell Manipulation
Masaru Takeuchi*, Masahiro Nakajima**, Masaru Kojima*,
and Toshio Fukuda*,**
*Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 464-8603, Japan
**Center For Micro-nano Mechatronics, Nagoya University
We propose the Thermoresponsive Polymer Actuated (TPA) probe which uses thermoresponsive polymer poly (N-isopropylacrylamide) (PNIPAAm) volume change as an actuator. The proposed probe is applicable to single cell analysis, especially single cell manipulation. The TPA probe can discharge and suck solution in several nanoliters (nl) using the volume change. Normally, it is difficult to realize solution discharge and suction less than several dozen nl by the conventional air- or oil-pressure-actuated probe. We designed the TPA probe for low-cost fabrication and disposable use. The probe also takes in and ejects on a nl order by simply switching a heater on and off. PNIPAAm solution volume change was evaluated in this paper. The manipulation of single microbead and the suction of target cell were also demonstrated by the TPA probe in the semi-closed microchip. It is considered that the TPA probe can contribute to the manipulation of single cell.
and Toshio Fukuda, “Nanoliters Discharge/Suction by Thermoresponsive Polymer Actuated Probe and Applied for Single Cell Manipulation,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.22, No.5, pp. 644-650, 2010.
-  Y. Wakamoto, J. Ramsden, and K. Yasuda, “Single-cell Growth and Division Dynamics Showing Epigenetic Correlations,” Analyst, Vol.130, pp. 311-317, 2005.
-  G. T. Roman, Y. Chen, P. Viberg, A. H. Culbertson, and C. T. Culbertson, “Single-cell Manipulation and Analysis using Microfluidic Devices,” Anal. Bioanal. Chem., Vol.387, pp. 9-12, 2007.
-  H. Takamatsu, S. Uchida, and T. Matsuda, “In Situ Harvesting of Adhered Target Cells using Thermoresponsive Substrate under a Microscope: Principle and instrumentation,” J. of Biotech., Vol.134, pp. 297-304, 2008.
-  K. Inoue, T. Tanikawa, and T. Arai, “Micro-manipulation System with a Two-fingered Micro-hand and Its Potential Application in Bioscience,” J. of Biotech., Vol.133, pp. 219-224, 2008.
-  P. J. Hung, P. J. Lee, P. Sabounchi, R. Lin, and L. P. Lee, “Continuous Perfusion Microfluidic Cell Culture Array for High-Throughput Cell-Based Assays,” Biotech. and Bioeng., Vol.89, No.1, 2005.
-  Y. Wang, Z. Z. Chen, and Q. L. Li, “Microfluidic Techniques for Dynamic Single-cell Analysis,” Microchim Acta, Vol.168, pp. 177-195, 2010.
-  R. W. Clarke, J. D. Piper, L. Ying, and D. Klenerman, “Surface Conductivity of Biological Macromolecules Measured by Nanopipette Dielectrophoresis,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol.98, pp. 198102, 2007.
-  S. Maruo, K. Ikuta, and H. Korogi, “Submicron Manipulation Tools Driven by Light in a Liquid,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.82, pp. 133-135, 2003.
-  F. Arai, K. Yoshikawa, T. Sakami, and T. Fukuda, “Synchronized Laser Micromanipulation of Multiple Targets along Each Trajectory by Single Laser,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.85, pp. 4301-4303, 2004.
-  H. Uvet, A. Hasegawa, K. Ohara, T. Takubo, Y. Mae, and T. Arai, “Vision-Based Automated Single-Cell Loading and Supply System,” IEEE Trans. on Nanobiosci., Vol.8, pp. 332-340, 2009.
-  Y. Sun and X. F. Yin, “Novel Multi-depth Microfluidic Chip for Single Cell Analysis,” J. of Chromatography A, Vol.1117, pp. 228-233, 2006.
-  D. D. Carlo, L. Y. Wu, and L. P. Lee, “Dynamic single cell culture array,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.6, pp. 1445-1449, 2006.
-  W. H. Tan and S. Takeuchi, “A Trap-and-release Integrated Microfluidic System for Dynamic Microarray Applications,” PNAS, Vol.104, pp. 1146-1151, 2007.
-  M. Takeuchi, M. Nakajima, and T. Fukuda, “Semi-closed Microchip for Probe Manipulation and the Target Cell Harvesting,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1838-1843, 2009.
-  M. Takeuchi, M. Nakajima, and T. Fukuda, “Semi-closed Microchip for Probe Manipulation and Its Application for Single Cell Analysis,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.75, pp. 3261-3266, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  H. Ushijima, K. Ishida, and H. Nagashima, “Bovine Nucleus Transplantation by Intracytoplasmic Injection,” J. of Reproduction and Development, Vol.48, pp. 619-626, 2002.
-  A. Ichikawa, F. Arai, K. Yoshikawa, T. Uchida, and T. Fukuda, “In Situ Formation of a Gel Microbead for Indirect Laser Micromanipulation of Microorganisms,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.87, p. 191108, 2005.
-  Y. Yamanishi, J. Teramoto, Y. Magariyama, A. Ishihama, T. Fukuda, and F. Arai, “On-chip Cell Immobilization and Monitoring System Using Thermosensitive Gel Controlled by Suspended Polymeric Microbridge,” IEEE Trans. on Nanobiosci., Vol.8, pp. 312-317, 2009.
-  D. Walsh, S. R. Hall, A. Moir, S. C. Wimbush, and B. Palazzo, “Carbonated Water Mediated Preparation of Poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) Thermoresponsive Gels and Liquids,” Biomacromol., Vol.8, pp. 3800-3805, 2007.
-  F. Arai, A. Ichikawa, T. Fukuda, and T. Katsuragi, “Isolation and Extraction of Target Microbes Using Thermal Sol-gel Transformation,” Analyst, Vol.128, pp. 547-551, 2003.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.