Massive Parallel Assembly of Microbeads for Fabrication of Microtools Having Spherical Structure and Powerful Manipulation by Optical Tweezers
Hisataka Maruyama*, Ryo Iitsuka**, Kazuhisa Onda**,
and Fumihito Arai*
*Department of Mechanical Science & Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
**Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
-  A. Fuchs et al., “A microelectronic chip opens new fields in rare cell population analysis and individual cell biology,” Proc. Micro Total Analysis system, California, USA, pp. 911-914, 2003.
-  F. Arai, T. Endo, R. Yamauchi, and T. Fukuda, “3D 6DOF Manipulation of Microbead by Laser Tweezers,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 153-159, 2006
-  A. Ashkin, “Acceleration and trapping of particles by radiation pressure,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol.24, No.4, pp. 156-159, 1970.
-  A. Ashkin and J. M. Dziedzic, “Internal cell manipulation using infrared laser traps,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA., Vol.86, pp. 7914-7918, 1989.
-  A. Ashkin et al., “Observation of a single-beam gradient force optical trap for dielectric particles,” Opt. Lett., Vol.11, No.5, pp. 288-290, 1986.
-  D. G. Grier, “A revolution in optical manipulation,” Nature, Vol.424, pp. 21-27, 2003.
-  F. Arai et al., “3D Manipulation of Lipid Nanotubes with Functional Gel Microbeads,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 198-204, 2007.
-  H. Maruyama, F. Arai, T. Fukuda, and T. Katsuragi, “Immobilization of individual cells by local photo polymerization on a chip,” The Analyst, Vol.130, No.3, pp. 304-310, 2005.
-  F. Arai et al., “Synchronized laser micromanipulation of multiple targets along each trajectory by single laser,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.85, No.19, pp. 4301-4303, 2004.
-  H. Maruyama, T. Fukuda, and F. Arai, “Functional gel-microbead manipulated by optical tweezers for local environment measurement in mi-crochip,” Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Vol.6, pp. 383-390, 2009.
-  D. Dendukuri et al., “Cntinuous-flow Lithography for Highthroughput Microparticle Synthesis,” Nature Materials, Vol.5, pp. 365-369, 2006
-  S. Maruo, O. Nakamura, and S. Kawata, “Three-dimensional Microfabrication with Two-photon-absorbed Photopolymerization,” Optics Lett., Vol.22, pp. 132-134, 1997.
-  F. Arai, K. Onda, R. Iitsuka, and H. Maruyama, “Multi-beam Laser Micromanipulation of Microtool, by Integrated Optical Tweezers,” Proc. of ICRA2009, pp. 1832-1837, 2009, .
-  R. L. Eriksen, P. C. Mogensen, and J. Glückstad, “Multiplebeam optical tweezers generated by the generalized phase-contrast method,” Opt. Lett., Vol.27, No.4, pp. 267-269, 2002
-  M. Capitanio, G. Romano, R. Ballerini, M. Giuntini, D. Dunlap, and L. Finzi, “Calibration of optical tweezers with differential interference contrast signals,” Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol.73, pp. 1687-1696, 2002
-  Y. Yin and Y. Xia: “Self-Assembly of Monodispersed Spherical Colloids into Complex Aggregates with Well-Defined Sizes, Shapes, and Structures,” Advanced Materials, Vol.13, No.4, pp. 267-271, 2001.
-  T. Onodera et al., “Ordered Array of Polymer Microspheres on Patterned Silicon Substrate Fabricated Using Step-by-Step Deposition Method,” Japanese J. of Applied Physics, Vol.47, No.2, pp. 1404-1407, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.