Development of a Robot Balanced on a Ball - First Report, Implementation of the Robot and Basic Control -
Masaaki Kumagai* and Takaya Ochiai**
*Tohoku Gakuin University
**Graduate school, Tohoku Gakuin University
-  M. Kumagai, T. Ochiai, and N. Konno, “Development of Inverted Pendulums that Move on Floor –Balancing Robot on a Ball and Hopping Robot using a Linear Motor–,” Proc. Robomec08, 2P1-C11, 2008.
-  M. Kumagai and T. Ochiai, “Cooperative Transport using Robots Balanced on Balls,” Proc. Robomec09, 2P1-D18, 2009.
-  M. Kumagai and T. Ochiai, “Development of a Robot Balancing on a Ball,” Proc. ICCAS 2008, pp. 433-438, 2008.
-  M. Kumagai, and T. Ochiai, “Development of a robot balanced on a ball –Application of passive motion to transport–,” Proc. ICRA 2009, pp. 4106-4111, 2009.
-  H. G. Nguyen, J. Morrell, K. Mullens, A. Burmeister, S. Miles, N. Farrington, K. Thomas, and D. Gage, “Segway robotic mobility platform,” SPIE Proc. 5609: Mobile Robots XVII, pp. 207-220, 2004.
-  Y. Hosoda, S. Egawa, J. Tamamoto, K. Yamamoto, R. Nakamura, and M. Togami, “Development of Human-Symbiotic Robot “EMIEW” –Design Concept and System Construction–,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 195-202, 2006.
-  T. Emura and T. Sakai, “Study on Inverted Pendulum that Maintains Erect Position using Reaction Wheel,” Biomechanism, pp. 321-328, 1973 (in Japanese, available at CiNii, NAID:110004695233).
-  T. B. Lauwers, G. A. Kantor, and R. L. Hollis, “A Dynamically Stable Single-Wheeled Mobile Robot with Inverse Mouse-Ball Drive,” Proc. ICRA 2006, pp. 2884-2889, 2006.
-  U. Nagarajan, M. Anish Mampetta, G. Kantor, and R. Hollis, “State Transition, Balancing, Station Keeping, and Yaw Control for a Dynamically Stable Single Spherical Wheel Mobile Robot,” Proc. ICRA 2009, pp. 998-1003, 2009.
-  T. Endo and Y. Nakamura, “An Omnidirectional Vehicle on a Basketball,” Proc. ICAR’05, pp. 573-578, 2005.
-  D. Chugo, K. Kawabata, H. Kaetsu, H. Asama, and T. Mishima, “Development of Omni-directional Vehicle with Step-Climbing Ability,” Proc. ICRA 2003, pp. 3849-3854, 2003.
-  H. Asama, H. Kaetsu, I. Endo, and M. Sato, “Wheel for Omnidirectional Mobile Robot,” JP-patent No.3421290, 2003.
-  N. Hiraoka and T. Noritsugu, “Sliding Mode Posture Control of a Parallel Biwheel Vehicle Driven with Stepping Motor,” Trans. of the JSME. C, Vol.62, No.601, pp. 3580-3587, 1996.
-  N. Hiraoka and T. Noritsugu, “Reaction Force Control of a Parallel Biwheel Vehicle Driven with a Stepping Motor,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.5, pp. 356-361, 1999.
-  T. Emura, M. Kumagai, and K. Ogawa, “Expansion of Frequency Response Using Multiple Sensors and Subtraction Type of Filter,” Proc. Machatronics Vol.96, No.2, pp. 197-202, 1996.
-  C. Y. Chung, J. W. Lee, S. M. Lee, and B. H. Lee, “Balancing of an Inverted Pendulum with a Redundant Direct-Drive Robot,” Proc. ICRA 2000, pp. 3952-3957, 2000.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.