Disposable Inkjet Mechanism for Microdroplet Dispensing
Takehito Mizunuma*, Yoko Yamanishi**, Shinya Sakuma*, Hisataka Maruyama*, and Fumihito Arai*
*Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**PRESTO, Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST), 6-6-01 Aramaki-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
-  K. Ahn, C. Kerbage, T. P. Hunt, R. M. Westervelt, D. R. Link, and D. A. Weitz, “Dielectrophoretic Manipulation of Drops for High-Speed Microfluidic Sorting Devices,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.88, Issue 2, 2006.
-  T. Arakawa, Y. Shirasaki, T. Aoki, T. Funatsu, and S. Shoji “Three-Dimensional Sheath Flow Sorting Microsystem Using Thermosensitive Hydrogel,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.135, Issue 1, pp. 99-105, 2007.
-  S. Gaward, L. Schild, and P. Renaud, “Micromachined Impedence Spectroscopy Flow Cytometer for Cell Analysis and Particle Sizing,” Lab Chip, Vol.1, pp. 76-82, 2001.
-  M. H. Wu, J. P. G. Urban, Z. Cui, and Z. F. Cui, “Development of PDMS Microbioreactor with Well-Defined and Homogenous Culture Environment for Chondrocyte 3-D Culture,” Biomedical Microdevices, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 331-340, 2006.
-  J. Sang and S. Shoji, “A disposable, Dead Volume-Free and Leak-Free in-Plane PDMS Microvalve,” Sensors and Actuators A Physical, Vol.114, Issues 2-3, pp. 438-444, 2003.
-  T. Dvash, Y. Mayshar, H. Darr, M. McElhaney, D. Barker, O. Yanuka, K. J. Kotkow, L. L.Rubin, N. Benvenisty, and R. Eiges, “Temporal Gene Expression During Differentiation of Human Embryonic Stem Cells and Embryoid Bodies,” Human Reproduction, Vol.19, No.12, pp. 2875-2883, 2004.
-  S. Singh, V. Bhattacherjee, P. Mukhopadhyay, C. A. Worth, S. R. Wellhausen, C. P. Warner, R. M. Greene, and M. M. Pisano, “Fluorescence-Activated Cell Sorting of EGFP-Labeled Neural Crest Cells From Murine Embryonic Craniofacial Tissue,” J. of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, pp. 232-237, 2005.
-  U. Huseyin, T. Arai, Y. Mae, T. Takubo, and M. Yamada, “Miniaturized Vision System for Microfluidic Devices,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.22, No.11, pp. 1207-1222, 2008.
-  Y. Yamanishi, S. Sakuma, K. Onda, and F. Arai, “Biocompatible Polymeric Magnetically Driven Microtool for Particle Sorting,” J. of Micro and Nano Mechatronics, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 49-57, 2008.
-  Y. Yamanishi, Y. C. LIN, and F. Arai, “Magnetically modified PDMS microtools for micro particle manipulation,” Proc. of the 2007 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, pp. 753-758, 2007.
-  A. Clow, P. Gaynor, and Björn Oback, “Coplanar Film Electrodes Facilitate Bovine Nuclear Transfer Cloning,” Biomed Microdevices, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 851-859, 2009.
-  M. R. Melamed, T. Lindmo, and M. L. Mendelsohn, “Flow Cytometry and Sorting,” 2nd ed. Wiley, New York, 1991.
-  T. Lindmo, D. C. Peters, and R. G. Sweet, “Flow Sorters for Biological Cells,” Flow Cytometry and Sorting, 2nd ed.: Wiley-Liss, Inc., New York, pp. 145-169, 1990.
-  K. Asano, Y. Funayama, K. Yatsuzuka, and Y. Higashiyama, “Spherical Particle Sorting by Using Droplet Deflection Technology,” J. of electrostatics, Vol.35, No.1, pp. 3-12, 1995.
-  M. Nakamura, Y. Nishiyama, and C. Henmi, “3D Micro-fabrication by Inkjet 3D Biofabrication for 3D Tissue Engineering,” Micro-Nano Mechatronics and Human Science, 2008, Int. Symposium on., pp. 451-456, 2008.
-  M. Nakamura, A. Kobayashi, F. Takagi, A. Watanabe, Y. Hiruma, K. Ohuchi, Y. Iwasaki, M. Horie, I. Morita, and S. Takatani, “Biocompatible Inkjet Printing Technique for Designed Seeding of Individual Living Cells,” Tissue, Eng., Vol.11, pp. 1658-1666, 2005.
-  H.-C. Wu, W.-S. Hwang, and H.-J. Lin, “Development of A Three-Dimensional Simulation System for Micro-Inkjet and Its Experimental Verification,” Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol.373, Issues 1-2, pp. 268-278, May 25, 2004.
-  P. Onnerfjord, J. Nilsson, L. Wallman, T. Laurell, and G. Marko-Varga, “Picoliter Sample Preparation in MALDI-TOF MS Using a Micromachined Silicon Flow-Through Dispenser,” Analytical Chemistry, Vol.70, No.22, pp. 4755-4760, November 15, 1998.
-  J. D. Lee, J. B. Yoon, J. K. Kim, H. J. Chung, C. S. Lee, H. D. Lee, H. J. Lee, C. K. Kim, and C. H. Han, “A Thermal Inkjet Printhead with a Monolithically Fabricated Nozzle Plate and Self-Aligned Ink Feed Hole,” J. MEMS , Vol.8, No.3, pp. 229-236, 1999.
-  T. Mizunuma, S. Sakuma, Y. Yamanishi, H. Maruyama, and F. Arai, “On-chip Micro-Droplet Dispenser With Disposable Structure,” µ-TAS2009, pp. 1778-1780, 2009.
-  A. Bransky, N. Korin, and S. Levenberg, “Experimental and Theoretical Study of Selective Protein Deposition Using Focused Micro Laminar Flows,” Biomedical Microdevices, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 421-428, 2008.
-  R. Rodriguez-Trujillo, O. Castillo-Fernandez, M. Garrido, M. Arundell, A. Valencia, and G. Gomila, “High-Speed Particle Detection in A Micro-Coulter Counter with Two-Dimensional Adjustable Aperture,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Vol.24, Issue 2, pp. 290-296, October 15, 2008.
-  T. D. Perroud, J. N. Kaiser, J. C. Sy, T. W. Lane, C. S. Branda, A. K. Singh, and K. D. Patel “Microfluidic-Based Cell Sorting of Francisella tularensis Infected Macrophages Using Optical Forces,” Analytical Chemistry, Vol.80, No.16, pp. 6365-6372, August 15, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.