Facial-Expression-Based Arousal Evaluation by NST
Hirotoshi Asano and Hideto Ide
Dept. of Electronics Eng. Col. of Sci. and Eng., Aoyama Gakuin University, 5-10-1 Fuchinobe, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 229-8558, Japan
Fatigue accumulation and poor attention could cause accidents in situations such as flight control, and automobile operation. This has contributed to international interest in intelligent transport system (ITS) research and development. We evaluated human sleepiness arousal based on facial thermal image analysis, in doing so based on nasal skin temperature for different levels of sleepiness during vehicle driving, we found that nasal skin temperature can replace facialexpression in evaluating sleep transition.
-  K. Hioki, A. Nozawa, T. Mizuno, and H. Ide, “Physiology evaluation of the mental work load under a time pressure situation,” T. IEE Japan, Vol.127, No. 7, pp. 1000-1006, 2007.
-  R. Seki, “ITS(Intelligent transport system),” Automobile technology Vol.61, No.8, pp. 165-171, 2007.
-  A. Kishi and S. Hideji, “The degree evaluation of awakening by the selection reaction work which imitated prolonged operation,” Printing-before Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan academic lecture meeting collection, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 2.193-2.196, 1990.
-  K. Kato and T. Kitazaki, “Examination of the driver state change at the time of prolonged operation,” Printing-before Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan academic lecture meeting collection, No.128-05, pp. 19-22, 2005.
-  C. Nishimura, A. Kosaka, K. Tsunemitsu, S. Yoshizawa, and J. Nagumo, “Trial 1 of the awakening level evaluation at the time of automobile operation by the skin potential level,” Human engineering, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 103-110, 1987.
-  K. Tairagi, M. Shigeta, Y. Nishikawa, S. Kawamuro, and K. Soda, “Change of the correlation of the brain waves accompanying change of an awakening level and eyeball movement,” Clinical pathology, Vol.41, No.7, pp. 813-818, 1993.
-  S. Kumakura, T. Hara, and K. Goi, “The degree appraisal method of awakening at the time of automobile operation using the time winked and closed,” The collection of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan papers, Vol.29, No.1, pp. 155-159, 1998.
-  R. Hagimoto, A. Nozawa, H. Tanaka, and H. Ide, “Measurement of nasal part skin temperature fluctuation about a awakening level,” Vol.IM-06, No.36-44, pp. 31-34, 2006.
-  A. Nozawa, H. Misawa, H. Tanaka, and H. Ide, “Evaluation of the mental work load of the driver about the conversation form by the face heat picture,” E. IEE Japan, Vol.126, No.7, pp. 804-809, 2006.
-  R. Sakamoto, A. Nozawa, H. Tanaka, T. Mizuno, and H. Ide, “Evaluation of the driver’s temporary arousal level by facial skin thermogram ∼ Effect of surround-ing temperature and wind on the thermogram ∼,” T. IEE Japan, Vol.2005, pp. GS4-4, September 2005.
-  Japanese physiology anthropology meeting, Measurement research section, “Human science measurement handbook,” Gihodo Shuppan, 1996.
-  K. Shimada, H. Tanaka, and H. Ide, “Appraisal method of the awakening level in the partial fractal dimension analysis of facial skin temperature,” Vol.120, No.10, pp. 1429-1434, 2000.
-  N. Numata, H. Kitajima, K. Goi, and M. Yamamoto, “Detection and nap warning of sleepiness by an automobile driver’s physiology and action index,” MITSUBISHI MOTORS technical review, No.10, pp. 67-75, 1998.
-  H. Kitajima, N. Numata, M. Yamamoto, and K. Goi, “Research on the anticipation technique of the sleepiness at the time of automobile operation,” (The first news, About the method of conferring sleepiness expression, and an index effective in prediction of sleepiness change), The collection of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers papers, Vol.63, No.613, pp. 3059-3066.
-  M. Osuga, “An interface and physiology measurement, heart beat and heart beat change as an index of a mental state,” HIS, Vol.6, No.1, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.