Automatic ROI Detection and Evaluation in Video Sequences Based on Human Interest
Mohammad Rokunuzzaman, Kosuke Sekiyama, and Toshio Fukuda
Dept. of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Nagoya-shi 464-8603, Japan
-  S. Inagaki, T. Suzuki, T. Ito, and W. Shidan, “Design of Autonomous/Man-Machine-Cooperative Mobile Robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 252-259, 2009.
-  D. J. Levitin, “Foundations of cognitive psychology: core readings, edition: illustrated,” MIT Press, 2002, ch.15, pp. 363-398.
-  E. A. Styles, “The Psychology of Attention, edition: illustrated, reprint,” Psychology Press, 1997, ch.5, pp. 87-112.
-  D. Sperber, F. Cara, and V. Girotto, “Relevance theory explains the selection task,” Cognition, 57, pp. 31-95, 1995.
-  W. Osberger and A. J. Maeder, “Automatic identification of perceptually important regions in an image,” Proc. of the 11th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, 1, pp. 701-704, 1998.
-  L. Itti et al., “A model of saliency-based visual attention for rapid scene analysis,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 20-11, pp. 1254-1259, 1998.
-  M. Privitera and W. Stark, “Algorithms for Defining Visual Regions-of-Interest: Comparison with Eye Fixations,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 22-9, pp. 970-982, 2000.
-  H. Cheng et al., “Automatic video region-of-interest determination based on user attention model,” IEEE Int. Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 4, pp. 3219-3222, 2005.
-  M. Privitera et al., “Locating regions-of-interest for the Mars Rover expedition,” Int. J. Remote sensing, 21-17, pp. 3327-3347, 2000.
-  H. Liu et al., “Region-Based Visual Attention Analysis with Its Application in Image Browsing on Small Displays,” Proc. of the 15th Int. Conf. on Multimedia, pp. 305-308, 2007.
-  T. Sevilmi et al., “Automatic detection of salient objects and spatial relations in videos for a video database system,” Int. J. of Image and Vision Computing, 26, pp. 1384-1396, 2008.
-  N. Butko et al., “Visual Saliency Model for Robot Cameras,” Proc. of the Int. Conf. of Robotics and Automation, ICRA, pp. 2398-2403, 2008.
-  Y. Li et al., “Salient Region Detection and Tracking in Video,” Int. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo, 2, pp. 269-272, 2003.
-  M. Clauss, P. Bayerl, and H. Neumann, “A Statistical Measure for Evaluating Regions-of-Interest Based Attention Algorithms,” Pattern Recognition, 3175, pp. 383-390, 2004.
-  R. H. Huesman, “A new fast algorithm for the evaluation of regions of interest and statistical uncertainty in computed tomography,” Phys. Med. Biol., 29-5, pp. 543-552, 1984.
-  P. Correia and F. Pereira, “Estimation of Video Object’s Relevance,” Proc. of the European Signal processing conference (EUPSICO), Finland, pp. 925-928, 2000.
-  Intel’s Open Computer Vision (OpenCV) Library,
-  C. Stauffer and W. Grimson, “Adaptive Background Mixture Models for Real-Time Tracking,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. of Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 246-252, 1999.
-  P. Kaewtrakulpong and R. Bowden, “An Improved Adaptive Background Mixture Model for Real-time Tracking with Shadow Detection,” Proc. 2nd European Workshop on Advanced Video Based Surveillance Systems, AVBS01, pp. 135-144, 2001.
-  S. T. Mueller and J. Zhang, “Upper and lower bounds of area under ROC curves and index of discriminability of classifier performance,” Proc. of the ICML 2006 Workshop on ROC Analysis in Machine Learning, pp. 41-46, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.