Measurement of Three-Dimensional Environment with a Fish-Eye Camera Based on Structure from Motion – Error Analysis
Kenji Terabayashi*,**, Hisanori Mitsumoto***, Toru Morita*,
Yohei Aragaki****, Noriko Shimomura****, and Kazunori Umeda*,**
*Dept. of Precision Mechanics, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Chuo University 1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
**CREST Program, Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
***Toyota Motor Corporation
375-1 Imazato, Susono, Shizuoka 410-1104, Japan
****Nissan Motor Co.,Ltd. 1-1 Morinosatoaoyama, Atsugi-shi Kanagawa 243-0123, Japan
This paper proposes a method for measuring 3-dimensional (3D) environment and estimating camera movement with two fish-eye images. This method deals with large distortion of images from a fish-eye camera to calibrate internal and external camera parameters precisely by simultaneous estimation. In this paper, we analyze 3D measurement accuracy based on a theoretical model and evaluate it in practical analysis in experimental and real environments. These analyses show that the theoretical measurement error model works over a wide range of fish-eye views.
Yohei Aragaki, Noriko Shimomura, and Kazunori Umeda, “Measurement of Three-Dimensional Environment with a Fish-Eye Camera Based on Structure from Motion – Error Analysis,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.21, No.6, pp. 680-688, 2009.
-  R. Bunschoten and B. Krose, “Robust scene reconstruction from an omnidirectional vision system,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, 19, pp. 351-357, 2003.
-  R. Kawanishi, A. Yamashita, and T. Kaneko, “Construction of 3D Environment Model from an Omni-Directional Image Sequence,” Proc. 3rd Asia Int. Symposium on Mechatronics (AISM2008), pp. 152-157, 2008.
-  L. Shigang, “Monitoring Around a Vehicle by a Spherical Image Sensor,” IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 7, pp. 541-550, 2006.
-  L. Shigang and Y. Shimomura, “Lane marking detection by side Fisheye Camera,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2008), pp. 606-611, 2008.
-  S. Gehrig, C. Rabe, and L. Krueger, “6D Vision Goes Fisheye for Intersection Assistance,” Proc. of Canadian Conf. on Computer and Robot Vision (CRV2008), pp. 34-41, 2008.
-  Nissan Motor Co. Ltd., http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2007/_STORY/071012-01-e.html
-  T. Nishimoto and J. Yamaguchi, “Three dimensional measurement using fisheye stereo vision,” Proc. of SICE Annual Conf. 2007, pp. 2008-2012, 2007.
-  D. Xiaoming, W. Fuchao, W. Yihong, and W. Chongwei, “Automatic spherical panorama generation with two fisheye images,” Proc. of 7th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation (WCICA2008), pp. 5955-5959, 2008.
-  R. Okutsu, K. Terabayashi, Y. Aragaki, N. Shimomura, and K. Umeda, “Generation of Overhead View Images by Estimating Intrinsic and Extrinsic Camera Parameters of Multiple Fish-Eye Cameras,” Proc. of IAPR Conf. on Machine Vision Applications (MVA2009), 2009.
-  B. Triggs, P. McLauchlan, R. Hartley, and A. Fitzgibbon, “Bundle Adjustment -A Modern Synthesis,” Vision Algorithms: Theory & Practice, Springer-Verlag LNSC 1883, 2000.
-  J. Y. Bouguet, “Pyramidal Implementation of the Lucas Kanade Feature Tracker Description of the Algorithm,” OpenCV, Intel Corporation, 2000.
-  D. G. Lowe, “Object Recognition from Local Scale Invariant Features,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV), pp. 1150-1157, 1999.
-  W. H. Press, S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, et al., “Numerical Recipes in C," Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 408-412, 1992.
-  R. I. Hartley, “In Defense of the Eight-Point Algorithm,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine intelligence, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 580-593, 1997.
-  M. A. Fischler and R. C. Bolles, “Random Sample Consensus: A Paradigm for Model Fitting with Applications to Image Analysis and Automated Cartography,” Communications of the ACM, Vol.24, No.6, pp. 381-395, 1981.
-  J. Kannala and S. S. Brandt, “A generic camera model and calibration method for conventional, wide-angle, and fish-eye lenses,” Vol.28, No.8, pp. 1335-1340, 2006.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.