Development of Asparagus Harvester Coordinated with 3-D Vision Sensor
Naoki Irie*, Nobuyoshi Taguchi*, Takao Horie* and Takakazu Ishimatsu**
*Industrial Technology Center of Nagasaki
2-1303-8 Ikeda, Omura, Nagasaki 856-0026, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Nagasaki University
1-14 Bunkyo-machi, Nagasaki 852-8521, Japan
The automated asparagus harvesting robot we developed to replace manual labor, consists of a 3-D vision sensor to detect candidate asparagus by height, a robotic arm with an end-effector to grasp candidates and cut their stems, and a mobile cart to navigate asparagus furrows. Experiments in a greenhouse confirmed the robot’s feasibility.
-  N. Kondo, M. Monta, and N. Noguchi, “Agri-Robot (II),” CORONAPUBLISHING, 2006.
-  N. Kondo, M. Monta, and N. Noguchi, “Agri-Robot (I),” CORONAPUBLISHING, 2004.
-  N. Kondo and M. Monta,“Fruit Harvesting Robotics,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 321-325, 1999.
-  N. Kondo, Y. Nishitsuji, P. Ling, and K. C. Ting, “Visual feedback guided robotic cherry tomato harvesting,” Trans. of the ASAE, Vol.39, No.6, pp. 2331-2338, 1996.
-  T. Ishimatsu, N. Taguchi, T. Ochiai, and T. Ohata, “Fast Three-Dimensional Measurement Technique Using a Reference Table,” JSME Int. J., Series III, Vol.35, No.4, pp. 611-615, 1992.
-  K. Kawasue, S. Sakai, T. Wakiyama, S. Ohyama, and H. Senda, “Sewer Pipe Measurement Robot Using Parallel Laser Sheets,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.74, No.737, pp. 90-97, 2008.
-  J. Gou and S.Tsuji, “Three-dimensional vision,” Kyoritsu Shuppan, 1998.
-  S. Inokuchi and K. Satou, “3D Imaging Techniques for Measurement,” Shokodo, 1990.
-  M. Monta, N. Kondo, and K. C. Ting, “End-effectors for Tomato Harvesting Robot,” Artificial Intelligence for Biology and Agriculture, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 11-25, 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.