Design and Control of Librarian Robot System in Information Structured Environments
Bong Keun Kim*, Kenichi Ohara**, Kosei Kitagaki*, and Kohtaro Ohba*
*Intelligent Systems Research Institute
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
Central 2, 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8568, Japan
**Department of System Innovation, Osaka University
1-3, Machikaneyama, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-8531, Japan
An information structured environment enables robots to complete specific tasks based on the information and knowledge provided by the environment. In our study, an information structured environment called u-RT space enabled a librarian robot to arrange books on bookshelves using ambient intelligence. The librarian robot consists of a manipulator, which can recognize and manipulate books, and a mobile platform, which can localize itself and navigate using ambient RFID tags embedded in a floor. The proposed u-RT space connects physical and virtual space using physical hyperlinks. The performance of the proposed librarian robot in u-RT space is evaluated by considering a particular scenario.
-  M. Miyazaki, B. K. Kim, K. Ohba, N. Y. Chong, S. Hirai, M. Mizukawa, and K. Tanie, “Knowledge distributed robot system - Application of multi-agent system,” In Proc. 2004 SICE System Integration (SI2004), pp. 691-692, 2004.
-  K. Ohara, K. Ohba, B. K. Kim, T. Tanikawa, S. Hirai, and K. Tanie, “Ubiquitous robotics with ubiquitous functions activate module,” In Proc. 2005 Int. Workshop on Networked Sen sing Systems (INSS2005), pp. 97-102, 2005.
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K. Kitagaki, T. Kotoku, and W.-K. Yoon, “RT-middleware: Distributed component middleware for RT (robot technology),” In Proc. 2005 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2005), pp. 3555-3560, 2005.
-  B. K. Kim, M. Miyazaki, K. Ohba, S. Hirai, and K. Tanie, “Web services based robot control platform for ubiquitous functions,” In Proc. 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation (ICRA2005), pp. 703-708, 2005.
-  M. Prats, E. Martinez, P. J. Sanz, and A. P. d. Pobil, “The UJI librarian robot,” Intelligent Service Robotics, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 321-335, October 2008.
-  J. Suthakorn, S. Lee, Y. Zhou, R. Thomas, S. Choudhury, and G. S. Chirikjian, “A robotic library system for an off-site shelving facility,” In Proc. 2002 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation (ICRA2002), pp. 3589-3594, 2002.
-  T. Tomizawa, A. Ohya, and S. Yuta, “Book browsing system using an autonomous mobile robot teleoperated via the internet,” In Proc. 2002 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2002), pp. 1284-1289, 2002.
-  T. Tomizawa, A. Ohya, and S. Yuta, “Object posture recognition for remote book browsing robot system,” In Proc. 2003 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2003), pp. 3218-3223, 2003.
-  T. Tomizawa, A. Ohya, and S. Yuta, “Remote book browsing system using a mobile manipulator,” In Proc. 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation (ICRA2003), pp. 256-261, 2003.
-  B. K. Kim, N. Tomokuni, K. Ohara, K. Ohba, T. Tanikawa, and S. Hirai, “Ubiquitous function services based control for robots with ambient intelligence,” In Proc. 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. Industrial Electronics, Control, and Instrumentation (IECON2006), pp. 4546-4551, 2006.
-  B. K. Kim, N. Tomokuni, K. Ohara, T. Tanikawa, K. Ohba, and S. Hirai, “Ubiquitous localization and mapping for robots with ambient intelligence,” In Proc. 2006 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2006), pp. 4809-4814, 2006.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.