Functions of Mobile-Robot Step-On Interface
Takafumi Matsumaru and Kosuke Akai
Graduate School of Engineering, Shizuoka University,
3-5-1 Johoku, Naka, Hamamatsu, 432-8561 Japan
To improve HFAMRO-1 mobile robot maneuverability and safety, we added a step-on interface (SOI) to direct robotic or mechatronic tasks and operations (HFAMRO: “human-friendly amusing” mobile robot). To do so, a projector displays a direction screen on a floor or other surface, and an operator specifies a button showing the selected movement by stepping or pointing. We modified the direction screen so that among buttons displayed on two lines, stepped-on buttons directing movement are displayed only on the lower line. We also shortened retention time and had selected movement executed only when the foot was removed from the stepped-on button. The robot has 2 SOIs and multiple projection screens, and can be controlled from either direction for the same function. We synchronized direction and preliminary-announcement screens to inform passers-by which way the robot would move. Using range scanner data, the robot distinguishes feet from other objects based on size and autonomous movement fusion control to avoid obstacles is implemented.
-  S. Honda, K. Akai, M.T. Lin, and T. Matsumaru, “Teleoperation of Human-Friendly Robot (41st report) -Examination of hardware constitution of HFAMRO-,” SICE-Chubu Shizuoka 2006, 2D1, 2006.
-  K. Akai, S. Honda, M. T.Lin, and T. Matsumaru, “Teleoperation of Human-Friendly Robot (43th report) -Examination of software constitution of HFAMRO-,” SICE-Chubu Shizuoka 2006, 2D3, 2006.
-  K. Ishikawa, H. Aoyama, J. Seki, M. Okamura, S. Ishimura, K. Ozaki, K. Yokota, and S. Yamamoto, “Practical Design and Use of Autonomous Robot for Outdoor Cleaning,” J. RSJ, Vol.25, No.6, pp. 802-812, 2007.
-  T. Sakai, D. Nizhimura, H. Uematsu, R. Murai, T. Nakahara, and Y. Kitano, “Autonomous Cleaning Robot SuiPPi,” 2006 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1A1-E02, 2006.
-  T.Kouno and S.Kanda, “Robot for carrying food trays to the aged and disabled,” J. RSJ, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 317-320, 1998.
-  T. Sakai, H. Nakajima, D. Nishimura, H. Uematsu, and Y. Kitano, “Autonomous Mobile Robot System for Delivery in Hospital,” Panasonic Electric Works Technical Report, Vol.53, No.2, pp. 62-67, 2005.
-  Y. Shimosasa, K. Wakabayashi, T. Ariki, T. Omachi, D. Suetomi, M. Sugiura, and K. Kotani, “Development and Safety Policy of the Outdoor Security Robot ALSOK Guardrobo i,” J. RSJ, Vol.24, No.2, pp. 156-158, 2006.
-  S. Kanda, Y. Murase, K. Okabayashi, and T. Asada, “Development of ”enon” Service Robot,” Fujitsu, Vol.57, No.3, pp. 307-313, 2006.
-  Y. Hosoda, “An approach to development of a human-symbiotic robot,” J. RSJ, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 296-299, 2006.
-  K. Matsukuma, “Service robot applications,” Yasukawa technical review, Vol.72, No.2, pp. 99-103, 2008.
-  K. Onishi, “wakamaru, the robot for your home,” J. JSME, Vol.109, No.1051, pp. 448-449, 2006.
-  H. Mizoguchi, T. Yoshimi, and N. Matsuhira, “Person Following Robot, ApriAttenda,” J. RSJ, Vol.24, No.2, p. 173, 2006.
-  T. Umezaki, “Playing tag robot ASKA,” J. RSJ, Vol.24, No.2, p. 202, 2006.
-  A. Holzinger, “Finger Instead of Mouse: Touch Screens as a means of enhancing Universal Access,” in Universal Access, Theoretical Perspectives, Practice, and Experience N. Carbonell, C. Stephanidis (Eds), Springer, pp. 387-397, 2003.
-  S. Kanda, M. Yuichi, N. Sawasaki, and T. Asada, “Development of the Service Robot ”enon',” J. RSJ, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 288-291, 2006. bibitemOffice-Conversant H. Asoh, I. Hara, and T. Matsui, “Dynamic Structured Multi-Agent Architecture for Controlling Office-Conversant Mobile Robot,” Proc. IEEE ICRA'98, pp. 1552-1557, 1998.
-  K. Nakadai, D. Matsuura, H.G. Okuno, and H. Kitano, “Applying scattering theory to robot audition system: Robust sound source localization and extraction,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ IROS 2003, Vol.2, pp. 1157-1162, 2003.
-  T. Shibata, Y. Matsumoto, T. Kuwahara, M. Inaba, and H. Inoue, “Hyper Scooter: A mobile Robot sharing visual information with a human,” Proc. 1995 IEEE ICRA, Vol.1, pp. 1074-1079, 1995.
-  S.Esaki, Y.Ebisawa, A.Sugioka, and M.Konishi, “Quick menu selection using eye blink for eye-slaved nonverbalcommunicator with video-based eye-gaze detection,” Proc. 19th Annual Int. Conf. IEEE EMBS 1997, Vol.5, pp. 2322-2325, 1997.
-  Center for Art and Media in Karlsruhe, Small Fish, http://hosting.zkm.de/wmuench/small_fish
-  Solidray Co., Taptalk2, http://www.solidray.co.jp/product/eizou/TapTalk2/
-  H.E. Korth, “Method and device for optical input of commands or data,” EP patent 0554492, 1992.02.07.
-  S. Hiura, K. Tojo, and S. Inokuchi, “3-D Tele-direction Interface using Video Projector,” ACM SIGGRAPH 2003 Sketches & Applications, 2003.
-  T. Machino, Y. Nanjo, Y. Yanagihara, H. Kawata, S. Iwaki, and K. Shimokura, “Robot-augmented communication: a remote-collaboration system based on a shared field of view in real space,” IEEE/RSJ IROS 2005, pp. 2203-2209, 2005.
-  R. Raskar, P. Beardsley, J.v. Baar, Y. Wang, P. Dietz, J. Lee, D. Leigh, and T. Willwacher, “RFIG lamps: interacting with a self-describing world via photosensing wireless tags and projectors,” ACM Trans. on Graphics (TOG), Vol.23, No.3, pp. 406-415, 2003.
-  M. Terashima and S. Sakane, “A Human-Robot Interface Using an Extended Digital Desk,” Proc. IEEE ICRA'99, pp. 2874-2880, 1999.
-  S. Sato and S. Sakane, “A human-robot interface using an interactive hand pointer that projects a mark in the real work space,” Proc. IEEE ICRA'00, pp. 589-595, 2000.
-  M. Yamashita and S. Sakane, “Adaptive Annotation Using a Human-Robot Interface System PARTNER,” Proc. IEEE 2001 ICRA, pp. 2661-2667, 2001.
-  Y. Wakita, S. Hirai, T. Suehiro, T. Hori, and K. Fujiwara, “Information Sharing via Projection Function for Coexistence of Robot and Human,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 267-277, 2001.
-  T. Matsumaru, “Mobile Robot with Preliminary-announcement and Display Function of Following Motion using Projection Equipment,” IEEE RO-MAN 06, pp. 443-450, 2006.
-  S. Honda, K. Akai, M.T. Lin, and T. Matsumaru, “Teleoperation of Human-Friendly Robot (42nd report) -Examination of foot position sensing with a URG sensor-,” SICE-Chubu Shizuoka 2006, 2D2, 2006.
-  National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) and National Institute of Technology and Evaluation (NITE), Anthropometric Database 1997-98, 2001.
-  O. Hikosaka, “Neural Mechanism of Attention,” in M. Ito, Y. Anzai, M. Kawato, S. Ichikawa, H. Nakashima, and K. Hashida (Eds.), “Cognitive Science Vol.9 Attention and Consciousness,” Iwanami Shoten, pp. 90-168, 1996.
-  K. Goldberg, B. Chen, R. Solomon, S. Bui, B. Farzin, J. Heitler, D. Poon, and G. Smith, “Collaborative teleoperation via the Internet,” Proc. IEEE ICRA '00, Vol.2, pp. 2019-2024, 2000.
-  T. Matsumaru, “Evaluation Experiment in Simulated Interactive Situation between People and Mobile Robot with Preliminary-Announcement and Indication Function of Upcoming Operation,” Trans. Human Interface Society, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 11-20, 2008.
-  T. Matsumaru, S. Kudo, H. Endo, and T. Ito, “Examination on a Software Simulation of the Method and Effect of Preliminary-announcement and Display of Human-friendly Robot's Following Action,” Trans. SICE, Vol.40, No.2, pp. 189-198, 2004.
-  T. Matsumaru, K. Hagiwara, and T. Ito, “Examination on The Combination Control of Manual Operation and Autonomous Motion for Teleoperation of Mobile Robot Using a Software Simulation,” Trans. SICE, Vol.41, No.2, pp. 157-166, 2005.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.