Hovering Control of a Tail-Sitter VTOL Aerial Robot
Koichi Kita, Atsushi Konno, and Masaru Uchiyama
Department of Aerospace Engineering,
Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University,
6-6-01 Aramaki-aza-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
This paper describes system development and hovering control of a tail-sitter VTOL aerial robot. The tail-sitter VTOL aerial robot developed from model aircraft parts, sensors, microcomputers, and other components hovers autonomously thanks to attitude, altitude, and position control. Attitude control error averages 1-2°and altitude control error several centimeters. The aerial robot demonstrated both fixed-point hovering and trajectory tracking in hover mode.
-  T. Cord, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, “SkyTote Advanced Cargo Delivery System,” AIAA Int. Air and Space Symposium and Exposition, The Next 100 Years, AIAA-2003-2753, 2003.
-  C. Schaefer and L. Baskett, “GOLDENEYE: The Clandestine UAV,” 2nd AIAA Unmanned Unlimited Systems, Technologies, and Operations, AIAA-2003-6634, 2003.
-  H. Stone and G. Clarke, “Optimization of Transition Maneuvers for a Tail-Sitter Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV),” Australian Int. Aerospace Congress, p. 105, 2001.
-  H. Stone, “Control Architecture for a Tail-Sitter Unmanned Air Vehicle,” Proc. of the 5th Asian Control Conf., Vol.2, pp. 736-744, 2004.
-  D. Kubo and S. Suzuki, “Tail-Sitter Vertical Takeoff and Landing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle: Transitional Flight Analysis,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol.45, No.1, pp. 292-297, 2008.
-  A. Frank et al., “Hover, Transition, and Level Flight Control Design for a Single-Propeller Indoor Airplane,” AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conf. and Exhibit, AIAA-2007-6318, 2007.
-  N. Knoebel et al., “Preliminary Modeling, Control, and Trajectory Design for Miniature Autonomous Tailsitters,” Proc. of the AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conf. and Exhibit, AIAA-2006-6713, 2006.
-  E. N. Johnson et al., “Flight Test Results of Autonomous Fixed-Wing UAV Transitions to and from Stationary Hover,” Proc. of the AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conf. Exhibit, AIAA-2006-6775, 2006.
-  E. N. Johnson et al., “Flight-Test Results of Autonomous Airplane Transitions Between Steady-Level and Hovering Flight,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol.31, No.2, pp. 358-370, 2008.
-  B. Wie, H. Weiss, and A. Arapostathis, “Quaternion Feedback Regulator for Spacecraft Eigenaxis Rotations,” Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 375-380, 1989.
-  D. Fujiwara and K. Nonami, “H∞ Hovering and Guidance Control for Autonomous Small-Scale Unmanned Helicopter,” Proc. of 2004 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2463-2468, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.