Compact Force Sensor Using AT-Cut Quartz Crystal Resonator Supported by Novel Retention Mechanism
Keisuke Narumi*, Ayumi Asakura*, Toshio Fukuda**, and Fumihito Arai*
*Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University
6-6-01 Aramaki-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University
Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
The compact force sensor we developed uses an AT-cut quartz crystal resonator whose resonance frequency changes under external force, and features high sensitivity, high-speed response, a wide measurement range, and superior temperature and frequency stability. Quartz crystal resonators were rarely used in force measurement due to their poor stress concentration during bending. The objective of this study was to construct a sensor mechanism that safely maintains the quartz crystal resonator under external force. We designed and analyzed the novel retention mechanism of the quartz crystal resonator. The proposed structure is flat, small, and sensitive. Moreover, we designed and produced a compact case for mounting the retention mechanism. Sensor output is expected to be changed by thermal expansion, so we evaluated the temperature characteristics of the assembled sensor, finding the relationship of the temperature and sensor output to be linear and temperature easily compensated for.
-  J. G. da Silva, A. A. de Carvalho, and D. D. da Silva, “A Strain Gauge Tactile Sensor for Finger-Mounted Applications,” IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol.51, No.1, pp. 18-22, 2002.
-  URL:http://www.olympus.co.jp Dec. 1999.
-  M.T. S.R. Gomes, A.C. Duarte, and J. A.B.P. Oliveira, “Detection of CO2 using a quartz crystal microbalance,” Sens. Actuators B, Vol.26-27, pp. 191-194, 1995.
-  M.T. S.R. Gomes, M. I.S. Verissimo, and J. A.B.P. Oliveira, “Detection of volatile amines using a quartz crystal with gold electrodes,” Sens. Actuators B, Vol.57, pp. 261-267, 1999.
-  L. Spassov, V. Georgiev, L. Vergov, and N. Vladimirova, “Thermosensitive quartz resonators at cryogenic temperatures,” Sens. Actuators A, Vol.62, pp. 484-487, 1997.
-  T. G. Leblois and C. R. Tellier, “Some investigations on doubly-rotated quartz resonant temperature sensors,” Sens. Actuators A, Vol.99, pp. 256-269, 2002.
-  F. P. Delannoy, B. Sorli, and A. Boyer, “Quartz Crystal Microbalance (QCM) used as humidity sensor,” Sens. Actuators A, Vol.84, pp. 285-291, 2000.
-  Y. Zhang, K. Yu, R. Xu, D. Jiang, L. Luo, and Z. Zhu, “Quartz crystal microbalance coated with carbon nanotube films used as humidity sensor,” Sens. Actuators A, Vol.120, pp. 142-145, 2005.
-  K. Kon, N. Tsukahara, and M. Shimomura, “DNA sensing with a quartz crystal device for determination of microorganisms,” Sens. Actuators B, Sep. 2006.
-  A. Ballato and R. Bechman, “Effect of initial stress in vibrating quartz plates,” Proc. IRE, Vol.48, pp. 261-262, 1960.
-  J. Ratajski, “Force frequency coefficient of singly rotated vibrating quartz crystals,” IBM J. Dev. Res., pp. 92-99, Jan. 1968.
-  B. Dumlet, R. Bourquin, and N. Shibanova, “Frequency-output force sensor using a multimode doubly rotated quartz resonator,” Sens, Actuators A, Vol.48, pp. 109-116, 1995.
-  E. Bens, M. Groschl, W. Burger, and M. Schmid, “Sensors based on piezoelectric resonators,” Sens. Actuators A, Vol.48, pp. 1-21, 1995.
-  S. Muraoka, “Force sensor with quartz resonators by differential method,” Trans. SICE, Vol.33, No.12, p. 1117-1123, 1997.
-  L. D. Clayotn, and E. P. EerNisse, “Quartz Thickness-shear mode pressure sensor design for enhanced sensitivity,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelect., Freq. Contr., Vol.45, No.5, pp. 1196-1203, Sep. 1998.
-  Y. G. Dong, J. S. Wang, G. P. Feng, and X. H. Wang, “Self-Temperature-Testing of the Quartz Resonant Force Sensor,” IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol.48, No.6, pp. 1038-1040, Dec. 1999.
-  E. P. EerNisse, “Review of Thickness-Shear Mode Quartz Resonator Sensors for Temperature and Pressure,” IEEE Sens. J., Vol.1, No.1, pp. 79-87, Jun. 2001.
-  Z. Wang, H. Zhu, Y. Dong, and G. Feng, “A thickness-shear quartz force sensor with dual-mode temperature compensation,” IEEE Sens. J., Vol.3, No.4, pp. 490-497, Aug. 2003.
-  S. Muraoka and H. Nishimura, “Characteristics of a rectangular AT cut quartz resonator as a force sensor, Collected papers of the society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.32, No.4, pp. 604-606, 1996.
-  P. Kim, “Microcontroller oscillator design guide,” AN588 by Microchip Technology Inc., 1997.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.