Development of an Automated Microscope for Supporting Qualitative Asbestos Analysis by Dispersion Staining
Kuniaki Kawabata*1, Soichiro Morishita*2, Hiroshi Takemura*3, Kazuhiro Hotta*4, Taketoshi Mishima*5, Hajime Asama*2,
Hiroshi Mizoguchi*3, and Haruhisa Takahashi*4
*1Kawabata Intelligent System Research Unit, RIKEN, Hirosawa 2-1, Wako, Saitama 351-0198, Japan
*2RACE, The University of Tokyo
*3Faculty of Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Science
*4Department of Information and Communication Engineering, The University of Electro-Communications
*5Department of Information and Computer Science, Saitama University
This paper introduces automated microscopic observation supporting qualitative asbestos analysis. Visual qualitative asbestos evaluation generally involves dispersion staining. Operators conventionally check and count asbestos fibers visually by microscope. We are developing automated microscopic observation to support qualitative asbestos analysis. The system images fibers by microscope and saves them automatically to a database. We introduce system concepts and performance using the prototype we developed.
Hiroshi Mizoguchi, and Haruhisa Takahashi, “Development of an Automated Microscope for Supporting Qualitative Asbestos Analysis by Dispersion Staining,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.21, No.2, pp. 186-192, 2009.
- M. Moss and P. Nolanm, “Geological Society of America,” Special Edition, Y. Diek and S. Newcomb (Eds.), 447, 2003.
- R. L. Vitra, “United States Geological Survey,” Open File Report, 2, 2002.
- S. Furuo, F. Nagakura, Y. Natori, and S. Nakachi, “Japanese Situation on Asbestos Issues and BANJAN's Activities,” Asbestos Taisakujouhou, No.29-3, pp. 42-63, 2001.
- A. Kuroda, T. Nishimura, T. Ishida, R, Hirota, and K. Nomura, “Detection of chrysotile asbestos by using a chrysotile-binding protein,” Biotechnol Bioeng.,99(2), pp. 285-289, Feb. 1, 2008.
- Y. Uno, “Optical Identification of Asbestos by Dispersion Staining Method,” Journal of the Clay Science Society of Japan, Vol.32, No.1, pp. 42-52, 1992.
- B. A. Lane and J. C. Haartz, “Determination of Microgram Quantities of Asbestos by X-Ray Diffraction: Chrysotile in Thin Dust Layers of Matrix Material,” Anal Chem, 51:520, 1979.
-  JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) A 1481: 2006(J) Determination of asbestos in building material products, 2006.
- P. A. Baron and S. A. Shulman, “Evaluation of the Magiscan image analyzer for asbestos fiber counting,” Am Ind Hyg Assoc J, 48(1), pp. 39-46, 1987.
- L. C. Kenny, “Asbestos fibre counting by image analysis - the performance of the Manchester asbestos program on Magiscan,” Anm Occup Hyg, 28(4), pp. 401-415, 1984.
- Y. Inoue, A. Kaga, and K. Yamaguchi, “Development of an automatic system for counting asbestos fibers using image processing,” Particul Sci Technol, 16(4), pp. 263-279, 1998.
- Y. Inoue, A. Kaga, and K. Yamaguchi, “Cross-check between automatic counting system and visual counting facilities of asbestos fibers,” J Aerosol Res Jpn, 14(2), pp. 129-137, 1999.
- Y. Inoue, N. Yamamoto, and Y. Yanagisawa, “Development of an image processing method to automatically count asbestos fibers by using an edge recognition algorithm,” Environmental Information Science/Extra, No.21, pp. 467-470, 2007.
-  H. Kumagai, S. Morishita, K. Kawabata, H. Asama, and T. Mishima, “Accuracy Improvement of Counting Asbestos in Particles using a Noise Redacted Background Subtraction,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Multisensor Fusion and Integration for Intelligent Systems, pp. 74-79, 2008.
-  T. Watanabe, S. Morishita, K. Kawabata, H. Asama, and T. Mishima, “An Analysis of the Higher Order Local Auto-correlation Features for Counting Asbestos in Particles,” Proc. of 8th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf., pp. 431-432.
-  K. Ishizu, H. Takemura, K. Kawabata, H. Asama, T. Mishima, and H. Mizoguchi, “Image Processing of Particle Detection for Asbestos Qualitative Analysis Support Method - Particle Counting System Based on Classification of Background Area -,”Proc. of Int. Conf. on Control Automation Robotics and Vision, pp. 868-873, 2008
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.