Performance Evaluation of Rotor Flux-Oriented Control on FPGA for Advanced AC Drives
Stéphane Simard*, Rachid Beguenane*,
and Jean-Gabriel Mailloux*
Department of Applied Sciences, University of Quebec at Chicoutimi, 555, boul. de l'université, Chicoutimi, Quebec, G7H 2B1, Canada
Hardware implementation of mechatronic systems become more and more feasible with the constant development of simulation software tools and more performing computer hardware. The work presented here explains the use of Matlab/Simulink and Xilinx System Generator tools and FPGA hardware in designing, simulating and evaluating control laws for mechatronic systems. Particularly, this paper reports improved results for FPGA implementation and hardware/software co-simulation of a rotor flux-oriented control loop for three-phase AC induction motors. On FPGA, the computation time achieved for the complete control loop proves to be short enough that many enhancements proposed in theory become possible, including the use of neural networks, matrix calculations, on-line monitoring, advanced control of PWM inverter-fed AC machines, and multiple hybrid controls, without affecting system performance or sacrificing precision.
and Jean-Gabriel Mailloux, “Performance Evaluation of Rotor Flux-Oriented Control on FPGA for Advanced AC Drives,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.21, No.1, pp. 113-120, 2009.
-  C. Ilas, A. R. Giuclea, and L. Kreindler, “Using TMS320 Family DSPs in Motion Control Systems,” Texas Instruments Application Report SPRA327, Sep. 1996.
-  Andrzej M. Trzynadlowski, “DSP Controllers – An Emerging Tool for Electric Motor Drives,” IEEE Electronics Society Newsletter, Vol.45, No.3, 1998.
-  Y. Y. Tzou, H.-J. Hsu, “FPGA realization of space-vector PWM control IC for three-phase PWM inverters,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol.12, pp. 953-963, Nov. 1997.
-  J.-Y. Jyang and Y.-Y. Tzou, “A CPLD-Based Voltage/Current Vector Controller for 3-Phase PWM Inverters,” IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conf. Record, pp. 262-268, May 1998.
-  M.-F. Tsai and H.-C. Chen, “Design and Implementation of a CPLD-based SVPWM ASIC for Variable-speed Control of AC Motor Drives,” Proc. IEEE Power Electronics and Drive Systems Conf., pp. 322-328, Oct. 2001.
-  F. Blaschke, “The principle of field orientation as applied to the new transvector closed loop control for rotating machines,” Siemens Review, Vol.30, No.5, pp. 217-220, 1972.
-  J. A. Santisteban and R. M. Stephan, “Vector Control Methods for Induction Machines: An Overview,” IEEE Trans. on Education, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 170-175, May 2001.
-  D. Casadei, F. Profumo, G. Serra, and A. Tani, “FOC and DTC: Two Viable Schemes for Induction Motor Torque Control,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol.17, No.5, 2002, pp. 779-787.
-  T. M. Wolbank, A. Moucka, and J. L. Machl, “A comparative study of field-oriented and direct-torque control of induction motors reference to shaft-sensorless control at low and zero-speed,” Proc. 2002 IEEE Int. Symposium on Intelligent Control, Oct. 2002.
-  M. N. Cirstea, A. Aounis, and M. McCormick, “Rapid Prototyping of Induction Motor Vector Control System Based on Reusable VHDL Digital Architectures and FPGA Implementation,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Power Conversion & Intelligent Motion, pp. 199-202, May 2002.
-  J. Vásárhelyi, M. Imecs, C. Szab'o, and I. I. Incze, “FPGA Implementation Vector Control of Tandem Converter Fed Induction Machine,” Proc. 6th Int. Symposium of Hungarian Researchers on Computational Intelligence, Nov. 2005.
-  R. Beguenane, J.-G. Mailloux, S. Simard, and A. Tisserand, “Towards the System-on-Chip Realization of a Sensorless Vector Controller with Microsecond-order Computation Time,” Proc. IEEE Canadian Conf. on Electrical and Computer Engineering, pp. 908-912, May 2006.
-  J. G. Mailloux, S. Simard, and R. Beguenane, “Rapid Testing of XSG-based Induction Motor Vector Controller Using Free-running Hardware Co-simulation and SimPowerSystems,” Proc. 5th Int. Conf. on Computing, Communications and Control Technologies, Orlando (FL), USA, July 2007.
-  F. de Dinechin, C. Lauter, and G. Melquiond, “Assisted verification of elementary functions using Gappa,” Proc. ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, pp. 1318-1322, 2006.
-  S. Simard, J.-G. Mailloux, and R. Beguenane, “Optimal FPGA implementation of unsigned bit-serial division,” Int. Review on Computers and Software, Vol.2, No.5, pp. 561-564, Sept. 2007.
-  S. Simard, J.-G. Mailloux, and R. Beguenane, “Optimized FPGA Mapping of a Bit-serial Square Root Operator with Minimum Output Delay,” Int. Review on Computers and Software, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 661-665, Nov. 2007.
-  T. Sukegawa, K. Kamiyama, and K. Minzuno, “Fully Digital, Vector-Controlled PWM VSI-Fed AC Drives with an Inverter Dead-Time Compensation Strategy,” IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 552-559, 1991.
-  Bilam K. Bose, “Neural Network Applications in Power Electronics and Motor Drives'n Introduction and Perspective,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.54, No.1, pp. 14-32, Feb. 2007.
-  M. Barut, S. Bogosyan, and M. Gokasan, “Speed-Sensorless Estimation for Induction Motors Using Extended Kalman Filters,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.54, No.1, pp. 272-280, Feb. 2007.
-  F.-J. Lin, C.-K. Chang, and P.-K. Huang, “FPGA-Based Adaptive Backstepping Sliding-Mode Control for Linear Induction Motor Drive,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 1222-2231, Jul. 2007.
-  Y.-S. Kung and M.-H. Tsai, “FPGA-Based Speed Control IC for PMSM Drive With Adaptive Fuzzy Control,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 2476-2486, Nov. 2007.
-  F.-J. Lin and P.-H. Shen, “Robust Fuzzy Neural Network Sliding-Mode Control for Two-Axis Motion Control System,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.53, No.4, pp. 1209-1225, Aug. 2006.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.