Control of a Two-Joint, Two-Steering Snake-Like Robot
Department of Integrated Information Technology, College of Science and Engineering, Aoyama Gakuin University, 5-10-1 Fuchinobe, Sagamihara-shi, Kanagawa 229-8558, Japan
This paper introduces and describes a new type of snake-like robot, a two-joint, two-steering snake-like robot, and its control method. We first present a mechanical design of this snake-like robot that is inspired by a mathematical perspective on conversion of its kinematical equation into three-chain, single-generator chained form in a mathematical framework, differential geometry. Especially, we assume a virtual steering system at the head of the first link of the snake-like robot, which makes the conversion possible. We secondly present a path following feedback control method based on chained form that enables the first link to follow straight paths at a constant velocity. Of course, it is also possible for the first link to have any desired position and orientation by combining some followings of straight paths under this feedback control method. Validity of the mechanical design of the snake-like robot, the conversion of its kinematical equation, and its control method is verified by computer simulations.
This paper is the full translation from the transactions of JSME Vol.71, No.706.
-  S. Hirose, “Biomimetic Mechanical Engineering,” Kogyo Chosakai Publishing, Japan, 1987.
-  M. Sampei, “Exact Linearlization and Its Application to Trajectory Control of Vehicles Towing Trailers,” Journal of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE), Vol.31, No.8, pp. 851-858, 1992.
-  M. Sampei and T. Kobayashi, “Path Tracking Control of Articulated Vehicle with Multi Trailers Using Nonlinear Control Theory,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 587-592, 1993.
-  C. Samson, “Control of Chained Systems: Application to Path Following and Time-Varying Point-Stabilization of Mobile Robots,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol.40, No.1, pp. 64-77, 1995.
-  Y. Nakamura, H. Ezaki and W. Chung, “Design of Steering Mechanism and Control of Nonholonomic Trailer Systems,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.17, No.6, pp. 839-847, 1999.
-  Y. Nakamura, H. Ezaki, Y. Tan, and W. Chung, “Design of Steering Mechanism and Control of Nonholonomic Trailer Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 367-374, 2001.
-  H. Yamaguchi and T. Arai, “A Path Following Feedback Control Method for A Cooperative Transportation System with Two Car-Like Mobile Robots,” Transactions of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers (SICE), Vol.39, No.6, pp. 575-584, 2003.
-  A. Isidori, “Nonlinear Control Systems,” New York: Springer-Verlag, Second Edition, 1989.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.