Stepwise Locomotion on a Deformable Surface Using Shear Displacement Produced by a Pneumatic Suction Device
Toshiaki Horie* and Satoshi Konishi**
*Panasonic Electronic Device Co., Ltd. Corporate Components Development Center. Material&Process Laboratory, 1453 Tastutachou, Moriyama-City, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
**Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Nojihigashi, Kusatsu-City, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
The present paper introduces a stepwise locomotion of a micro robot using the shear displacement of a deformable object by a pneumatic suction device. We consider a locomotion function of a micro robot for medical application. A medical micro robot introduced into the abdominal cavity has been investigated as an extension of endoscopic technology. A micro robot with a locomotion function can be made to move within the body when performing medical examinations or surgery. The proposed locomotion mechanism employs suction devices in order to provide a shear displacement as well as stable contact with the object. The proposed stepwise locomotion mechanism does not require an additional stretching actuator for inchworm motion. The present paper describes the design, implementation, characterization, and demonstration of a micro robot based on the proposed locomotion principle. The micro robot will successfully demonstrate one-dimensional, two-dimensional, and diagonal movements, and an in vitro experiment will be conducted as a representative medical application.
-  K. J. Rebello, “Applications of MEMS in Surgery,” Proc. of the IEEE, Vol.92, No.1, Jan., 2004.
-  Y. Haga and M. Esashi, “Biomedical Microsystems for Minimally Invasive Diagnosis and Treatment,” Proc. of the IEEE, Vol.92, No.1, Jan., 2004.
-  D. B. Camarillo, T. M. Krummel, and J. K. Salisbury, “Robotic technology in surgery: past, present, and future,” The American Journal of Surgery, 188, 2s-15s, Oct., 2004.
-  http://www.intuitivesurgical.com Intuitive Surgical Co., CA.
-  G. Iddan, G. Meron, A. Glukhovsky, and P. Swain, “Wireless Capsule Endoscopy,” Nature, Vol.405, pp. 417-420, May, 2000.
-  K. Ikuta, K. Yamamoto, and K. Sasaki, “Development of Remote Microsurgery Robot and New Surgical Procedure for Deep and Narrow Space,” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 1103-1108, Sep., 2003.
-  B. Kim, S. Lee, J. H. Park, and J. O. Park, “Design and Fabrication of a Locomotive Mechanism for Capsule-Type Endoscopes Using Shape Memory Alloys (SMA),” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.10, No.2, Feb., 2005.
-  T. S. Kim, B. Kim, D. D. Cho, S. Y. Song, P. Dario, and M. Sitti, “Fusion of Biomedical Microcapsule Endoscope and Microsystem Technology,” The 13th Int. Conf. on Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems, Transducers'05, pp. 9-14, Jun., 2005.
-  N. A. Patronik, C. N. Riviere, S. El. Qarra, and M. A. Zenati, “The HeartLander: A Novel Epicardial Crawling Robot for Myocardial Injections,” Int. Congress Series, 1281, pp. 735-739, 2005.
-  O. C. Jeong and S. Konishi, “Fabrication and Drive Test of Pneumatic PDMS Micro Pump,” Sensors and Actuator A, Vol.135, No.2, pp. 849-856, Apr., 2007.
-  M. Nokata, S. Kitamura, T. Nakagi, T. Inubushi, and S. Morikawa, “Magnetic Drive of a Medical Micro Robot in Abdominal Cavity,” The Japan Society of Computer Aided Surgery Conf. 2006, pp. 147-148, Oct., 2006.
-  T. Horie and S. Konishi, “Medical Micro Crawling Robot by Controllable Sucking Mechanism,” JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics 2006, 1P1-C14, Jun., 2006.
-  K. Autumn, Y. A. Liang, S. T. Hsieh, W. Zesch, W. P. Chan, T. W. Kenny, R. Fearing, and R. J. Full, “Adhesive Force of a Single Gecko Foot-Hair,” Nature, Vol.405, pp. 681-685, Jun., 2000.
-  T. Horie, S. Sawano, and S. Konishi, “Micro Switchable Sucker for Fixable and Mobile Mechanism of Medical MEMS,” IEEE of MEMS Conf., pp. 691-694, Jan, 2007.
-  O. C. Jeong and S. Konishi, “All PDMS Pneumatic Microfinger with Bidirectional Motion and Its Application,” Journal of Micro Electromechanical Systems, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 896-903, Aug., 2006.
-  S. Konishi, “Small, Soft and Safe Actuator by Using MEMS-Based Pneumatic Balloon Actuator,” Asia-Pacific Conf. of Transducers and Micro-Nano Technology-APCOT 2006, Jun., 2006.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.