A Conversion of a Cooperative Transportation System with Two Car-Like Mobile Robots into Two-Chain, Single-Generator Chained Form and its Steering
Hiroaki Yamaguchi* and Tamio Arai**
*Department of Integrated Information Technology, College of Science and Engineering, Aoyama Gakuin University, 5-10-1 Fuchinobe, Sagamihara-shi, Kanagawa 229-8558, Japan
**Department of Precision Engineering, School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
This paper presents a novel methodology for steering a cooperative transportation system comprising two car-like mobile robots coupled together via a carrier. The system is a three-input seven-variable drift-free nonholonomic mechanical system. The three control inputs are the moving velocity of the first mobile robot and the steering angular velocities of the two mobile robots. The seven variables are the positions of the first mobile robot along the x- and y-axes, its steering angle, its orientation, the orientation of the carrier, the steering angle of the second mobile robot, and its orientation. We first convert the system into two-chain, single-generator chained form, based on differential geometry. We secondly present a control method of the system with polynomial inputs derived in chained form. Validity of the conversion and the control method is verified by computer simulations performed on driving this cooperative transportation system into a garage.
This paper is the full translation from the transactions of JSME Vol.69, No.686.
-  J. Ota, Y. Buei, T. Arai, H. Osumi, and K. Suyama, “Transferring Control by Cooperation of Two Mobile Robots,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 109-116, 1996.
-  H. Osumi, “Design of Cooperative System Consisting of Multiple Position Controlled Robots,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, C, Vol.65, No.634, pp. 2405-2412, 1999.
-  K. Kosuge, T. Oosumi, K. Chiba and M. Satou, “Coordinated Transportation by Two Nonholonomic Mobile Robots based on Decentralized Control,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, C, Vol.65, No.634, pp. 2379-2385, 1999.
-  R. M. Murray, “Nilpotent Bases for A Class of Non-Integrable Distributions with Applications to Trajectory Generation for Nonholonomic Systems,” Mathematics of Controls, Signals, and Systems, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 58-75, 1994.
-  A. Isidori, “Nonlinear Control Systems,” New York: Springer-Verlag, Second Edition, 1989.
-  L. G. Bushnell, D. M. Tilbury, and S. S. Sastry, “Steering Three-Input Nonholonomic Systems: The Fire Truck Example,” the Int. Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 366-381, 1995.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.