Fault Diagnosis and Fault-Tolerant Control of a Joystick-Controlled Wheelchair
Masafumi Hashimoto*, Yuuki Nakamura**,
and Kazuhiko Takahashi*
*Faculty of Science and Engineering, Doshisha University, 1-3 Miyakodani, Tatara, Kyotanabe, Kyoto 610-0321, Japan
**Chugai Technos Corporation, 2-14-2 Nakahiro-machi, Nishi-ku, Hiroshima 733-0012, Japan
This paper presents a method of fault diagnosis and fault-tolerant control for a nonholonomic powered wheelchair. Hard faults of sensors and actuators in two drive/steering units of the wheelchair are handled. The fault diagnosis is based on the interacting multiple-model (IMM) estimator. In order to improve fault decisions, we implement mode probability averaging and heuristic decision-making rule in the IMM-based algorithm. A fault-tolerant controller designed based on Ackerman geometry enables safe motion of the wheelchair even if sensors and actuators have partially failed. Experimental results verify the proposed method.
and Kazuhiko Takahashi, “Fault Diagnosis and Fault-Tolerant Control of a Joystick-Controlled Wheelchair,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.20, No.6, pp. 903-911, 2008.
-  J. Chen and R. J. Patton, “Robust Model-Based Fault Diagnosis for Dynamic Systems,” Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
-  J. Carlson, “Technical Report for the Safety Security Rescue Research Center: ICRA 2004 Robot Fault Diagnosis Workshop,” 2004.http://www.csee.usf.edu/˜jcarlso1/papers/FaultDiagnosisWorkshopReport.pdf
-  D. T. Magill, “Optimal Adaptive Estimation of Sampled Stochastic Processes,” IEEE Transaction on Automatic Control, AC-10, pp. 434-439, 1965.
-  S. I. Roumeliotis, G. S. Sukhatime, and G. A. Bekey, “Fault Detection and Identification in a Mobile Robot using Multiple-Model Estimation,” Proc. of 1998 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 2223-2228, 1998.
-  S. I. Roumeliotis, G. S. Sukhatime, and G. A. Bekey, “Sensor Fault Detection and Identification in a Mobile Robot,” Proc. of 1998 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 98), pp. 1383-1388, 1998.
-  P. Goel, G. Dedeoglu, S. I. Roumeliotis, and G. S. Sukhatme, “Fault Detection and Identification in a Mobile Robot Using Multiple-Model Estimation and Neural Network,” Proc. of 2000 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 2302-2307, 2000.
-  P. S. Maybeck and P.D.Hanlon, “Performance Enhancement of a Multiple Model Adaptive Estimator,” IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol.31, No.4, pp. 1240-124, 1995.
-  M. Hashimoto, H. Kawashima, T. Nakagami, and F. Oba, “Sensor Fault detection and Identification in Dead-Reckoning System of Mobile Robot: Interacting Multiple Model Approach,” Proc. of 2001 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2001), CD-ROM, 2001.
-  M. Hashimoto, H. Kawashima, and F. Oba, “A Multi-Model Based Fault Detection and Diagnosis of Internal Sensor forMobile Robot,” Proc. of 2003 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2003), CD-ROM, 2003.
-  H. A. P. Blom and Y. Bar-Shalom, “The Interacting Multiple Model Algorithm for Systems with Markovian Switching Coefficient,” IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol.33, No.8, pp. 780-783 1988.
-  V. Verma, G. Gordon, R. Simmons, and S. Thrun, “Real-Time Fault Diagnosis, “ IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, pp. 56-66, June, 2004.
-  W. Dixon, I. D. Walker, and D. M. Dawson, “Fault Detection for Wheeled Mobile Robots with Parametric Uncertainty,” Proc. of IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), pp. 1245-1250, 2001.
-  R.Washington, “On-Board Real-Time State and Fault Identification for Rovers,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 1175-81, 2000.
-  R. K. Prasad, J. H. Aylor, and B.W. Johnson, “Fault Tolerant Motor Drives for Powered Wheelchairs,” Proc. of Twenty-Second Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, pp. 420-425, 1990.
-  R. Tinos, M. H. Terra, and M. Bergerman, “Fault Tolerance in Cooperative Manipulators,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 470-475, 2002.
-  M. J. I. Zhang and G. Biswas, “Hybrid Fault Adaptive Control of a Wheeled Mobile Robot,” IEEE/ASME Transaction on Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 226-233, 2003.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.