Fault Diagnosis and Fault-Tolerant Control of a Joystick-Controlled Wheelchair
Masafumi Hashimoto*, Yuuki Nakamura**,
and Kazuhiko Takahashi*
*Faculty of Science and Engineering, Doshisha University, 1-3 Miyakodani, Tatara, Kyotanabe, Kyoto 610-0321, Japan
**Chugai Technos Corporation, 2-14-2 Nakahiro-machi, Nishi-ku, Hiroshima 733-0012, Japan
This paper presents a method of fault diagnosis and fault-tolerant control for a nonholonomic powered wheelchair. Hard faults of sensors and actuators in two drive/steering units of the wheelchair are handled. The fault diagnosis is based on the interacting multiple-model (IMM) estimator. In order to improve fault decisions, we implement mode probability averaging and heuristic decision-making rule in the IMM-based algorithm. A fault-tolerant controller designed based on Ackerman geometry enables safe motion of the wheelchair even if sensors and actuators have partially failed. Experimental results verify the proposed method.
-  J. Chen and R. J. Patton, “Robust Model-Based Fault Diagnosis for Dynamic Systems,” Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
-  J. Carlson, “Technical Report for the Safety Security Rescue Research Center: ICRA 2004 Robot Fault Diagnosis Workshop,” 2004.http://www.csee.usf.edu/˜jcarlso1/papers/FaultDiagnosisWorkshopReport.pdf
-  D. T. Magill, “Optimal Adaptive Estimation of Sampled Stochastic Processes,” IEEE Transaction on Automatic Control, AC-10, pp. 434-439, 1965.
-  S. I. Roumeliotis, G. S. Sukhatime, and G. A. Bekey, “Fault Detection and Identification in a Mobile Robot using Multiple-Model Estimation,” Proc. of 1998 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 2223-2228, 1998.
-  S. I. Roumeliotis, G. S. Sukhatime, and G. A. Bekey, “Sensor Fault Detection and Identification in a Mobile Robot,” Proc. of 1998 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 98), pp. 1383-1388, 1998.
-  P. Goel, G. Dedeoglu, S. I. Roumeliotis, and G. S. Sukhatme, “Fault Detection and Identification in a Mobile Robot Using Multiple-Model Estimation and Neural Network,” Proc. of 2000 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 2302-2307, 2000.
-  P. S. Maybeck and P.D.Hanlon, “Performance Enhancement of a Multiple Model Adaptive Estimator,” IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol.31, No.4, pp. 1240-124, 1995.
-  M. Hashimoto, H. Kawashima, T. Nakagami, and F. Oba, “Sensor Fault detection and Identification in Dead-Reckoning System of Mobile Robot: Interacting Multiple Model Approach,” Proc. of 2001 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2001), CD-ROM, 2001.
-  M. Hashimoto, H. Kawashima, and F. Oba, “A Multi-Model Based Fault Detection and Diagnosis of Internal Sensor forMobile Robot,” Proc. of 2003 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2003), CD-ROM, 2003.
-  H. A. P. Blom and Y. Bar-Shalom, “The Interacting Multiple Model Algorithm for Systems with Markovian Switching Coefficient,” IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol.33, No.8, pp. 780-783 1988.
-  V. Verma, G. Gordon, R. Simmons, and S. Thrun, “Real-Time Fault Diagnosis, “ IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, pp. 56-66, June, 2004.
-  W. Dixon, I. D. Walker, and D. M. Dawson, “Fault Detection for Wheeled Mobile Robots with Parametric Uncertainty,” Proc. of IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), pp. 1245-1250, 2001.
-  R.Washington, “On-Board Real-Time State and Fault Identification for Rovers,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 1175-81, 2000.
-  R. K. Prasad, J. H. Aylor, and B.W. Johnson, “Fault Tolerant Motor Drives for Powered Wheelchairs,” Proc. of Twenty-Second Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, pp. 420-425, 1990.
-  R. Tinos, M. H. Terra, and M. Bergerman, “Fault Tolerance in Cooperative Manipulators,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 470-475, 2002.
-  M. J. I. Zhang and G. Biswas, “Hybrid Fault Adaptive Control of a Wheeled Mobile Robot,” IEEE/ASME Transaction on Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 226-233, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.