Mechanical Design and Basic Run Experiments with the Tri-StarIII – Horizontal Polyarticular Expandable 3-Wheeled Planetary Rover –
Kenjiro Tadakuma*, Masatsugu Matsumoto**,
and Shigeo Hirose***
*Mechanical Engineering and Intelligent Systems, The University of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1, Chofugaoka, Chofu-shi, Tokyo, Japan
**Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, LTD, 43-209-S302, Ozakiyama, Narumi-cho, Midori-ku, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
***Tokyo Institute of Technology Dept. of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-Ku, Tokyo, Japan
-  E.A. LeMaster, M. Matsuoka, and S. M. Rock, “Mars navigation system utilizes GPS,“ Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, IEEE Vol.18, Issue 4, pp. 3-8, 2003.
-  S. B. Goldberg, M. W. Maimone, and L. Matthies, “Stereo vision and rover navigation software for planetary exploration,“ Aerospace Conf. Proc., 2002. IEEE, Vol.5, pp. 9-16, pp. 5-2025–5-2036, 2002.
-  B. Wilcox, L. Matthies, D. Gennery, B. Cooper, T. Nguyen, T. Litwin, A. Mishkin, and H. Stone, “Robotic vehicles for planetary exploration,“ Proc., 1992 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp. 175-180, 1992.
-  R.A. Lindemann, and C.J. Voorhees, “Mars Exploration Rover mobility assembly design, test and performance,“ 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 450-455, 2005.
-  S. Hirose, H. Kuwahara, Y. Wakabayashi, and N. Yoshioka, “The Mobility Design Cocepts/Characteristics & Ground Testing of an Offset-Wheel Rover Vehicle,“ Proc. Int. Conf. On Mobile Planetary Robots & Rover Roundup, pp. 1-14, 1997.
-  http://www-robotics.jpl.nasa.gov/news/newsStory.cfm?NewsID=62
-  E. Rollins, J. Luntz, A. Foessel, B. Shamah, andW.Whittaker, “Nomad: a demonstration of the transforming chassis,“ Proc.. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp. 611-617, 1998.
-  S. Hirose, N. Ootsukasa, T. Shirasu, H. Kuwahara, and K. Yoneda, “Fundamental Considerations for the Design of a Planetary Rover,“ Proc. ICRA, Vol.2, pp. 1939-1944, 1995.
-  K. Tadakuma, M. Matsumoto, and S. Hirose, “Mechanical Design of Joint Braking Mechanism and Underactuated Performance of Horizontal Polyarticular Arm Equipped 3-Wheeled Expandable Mobile Robot: “Tri-Star3“,“ Proc. of The IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (IROS 2006), 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.