Standing-Up Motion Support Device by Using Elbow Support Face to Adapt to Human Physical and Motion Characteristics
Takuro Hatsukari*, Norihisa Miyase*, Jun'ichi Higuchi**,
Yasuhisa Hirata***, and Kazuhiro Kosuge***
*Paramount Bed Co. Ltd., Higashisuna 2-14-5, Koutou-ku, Tokyo, 138-8670, Japan
**IT Systems Middleware Lab., IT Systems Laboratories, Fujitsu, 4-1-1 Kamikodanaka, Nakahara-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa 211-8588, Japan
***Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01, Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
The standing-up support device with an elbow-support face we propose for elderly people and physically-handicapped persons, enables comfortable and stable posture changes based on physical and motion characteristics. Using electromyogram (EMG), posture holding moment (PHM), and subjective evaluation, we demonstrate its effectiveness.
Yasuhisa Hirata, and Kazuhiro Kosuge, “Standing-Up Motion Support Device by Using Elbow Support Face to Adapt to Human Physical and Motion Characteristics,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.20, No.6, pp. 828-835, 2008.
-  “National Livelihood Survey in Japan 2004,” Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare of Japan, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  “Nursing-Care Insurance Works’ Report in Japan 2001,” Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare of Japan, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  I. Tsuji, “Manual of the comprehensive system prevented nursing care,” Health, Labour andWelfare Ministry, Health andWelfare Bureau for the Elderly, Division of Health for the Elderly, p. 9, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  “Project to Collect Medical Near-Miss/Adverse Event Information Vol.5,” Center for Medical Event Prevention, Japan Council for Quality Health Care, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Mano, R. Nakane, et al., “Walking of Elderly Persons and Revelation of Falling Accidents,” pp. 8-12, Ishiyaku Publishers, Inc., 1999 (in Japanese).
-  S. Ujiie, Y. Aso, et al., “Basic Nursing Technique I,” Igaku-Shoin Ltd., 2005 (in Japanese).
-  C. Oogawara and K. Sakai, “Nursing Ergonomics Supporting Health Care Works,” Ishiyaku Publishers, Inc., 2002 (in Japanese).
-  K. Tokunaga, “Changing patients’ positions based on the concepts of kinaesthetik,” Japanese Journal of Pressure Ulcers, 3(3), pp. 259-267, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Sawaguchi, R. Sakamoto, et al., “Method of Assistance Used By the Concept of Kinaesthetics,” Nursing Technique, Vol.47, No.14, pp. 1700-1709, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  P. J.Millington, B.M.Myklebust, et al., “Biomechanical analysis of the sit-to-stand motion in elderly persons,” Arch PhysMed Rehabil, Vol.73, pp. 609-617, 1994.
-  A. B. Schults, B. N. Alexander, et al. “Biomechanical analysis of rising from a chair,” Journal of Biomechanics, Vol.25, No.12, pp. 1383-1391, 1992.
-  T. Kizuka, T. Kiryuu, et. al., “Surface Electromyogram - Biomechanism Library-,” Tokyo Denki University Press, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  M. Fujisawa, H. Nagashima, et. al., “The Ergonomics Evaluation of A Rising Aided Chair,” Research Report of Iwate Prefectural Institute of Technology, Vol.9, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  T. Hatsukari, H. Kazuno, et al., “Evaluation on Standing-up Motion Support System by using Posture Holding Moment (PHM),” Corrected Papers of the 23th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 2J12, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Yamamoto, M. Kato, et al., “Assistant Motion Support Manual to Prevent Low Back Pain,” Igaku-Shoin Ltd., 2002 (in Japanese).
-  M. Schenkman, R. A. Berger, et al., “Whole-body movement during rising to standing from sitting,” Physical Therapy, Vol.70, No.10, pp. 638-651, 1990.
-  HughesMA,Weiner DK, et al., “Chair rise strategies in the elderly,” Clin Biomech 9, pp. 187-192, 1994.
-  I. A. Kapandji, “Articular Physiology I. Superior Member,” Ishiyaku Publishers, Inc., 1986 (in Japanese).
-  S. Takeuchi, “Anatomy with Interests Part 2,” Kodansha Ltd., 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Research Institute of Human Engineering for Quality Life, “Japanese body size data 1992-1994,” 1997 (in Japanese).
-  M. Ohashi, Y. Ehara, et al., “Hip, Knee and Ankle Torque Measurement during Standing-up and Sitting-down Motion by Link Model Method,” The Japanese Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.27, No.2, pp. 107-113, 1990 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Asai, S. Kaneko, et al., “Analysis of relationship between trunk movement and joint moment during sit-to-stand motion,” The Journal of Japan Academy of Health Sciences, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 51-58, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  K. Miyawaki, T. Iwami, et al., “Evaluation of Standing Up and Sitting Down of Elderly People,” JSME Annual Meeting, Vol.2000, No.1, pp. 353-354, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  A. Kawaguchi, M. Yamamoto, “Biomechanical Analysis on Usability of Vertical Assisting Standing-up Motion,” Technical Report Published by Matsushita Electric Works, Ltd., 2001 (in Japanese).
-  E. Okada, D. Chugo, et. al., “A Study of Assisting Device Based on Kinematic Analysis of Standing Up Motion Assistance on Nursing,” Digest of The Society of Instrument and Control Engineers System Integration Division Annual Conference, pp. 165-166, 2005 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.