Evaluation of On-Demand Bus Services Applicability to Older Persons
Hiroyuki Yamato*, Kota Tsubouchi*, Kazuo Hiekata**,
Ken Honda*, and Chika Sugimoto*
*Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa-shi, Chiba 277-8563, Japan
**Department of Systems Innovation, Graduate School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa-shi, Chiba 277-8563, Japan
This paper describes evaluation of applicability of an on-demand bus system for older persons as a public transportation alternative that passengers use after making reservations. An on-demand bus service, in which buses arrive when reserved by users, has been developed and demonstrated by the community test conducted in City of Kashiwa’s Kashiwa-no-ha area, Chiba Prefecture to evaluate its effectiveness. Results suggest that services are used by those 65 years old and older, who rate services more highly and are more willingness to pay on the average than the younger persons, as found in a questionnaire.
Ken Honda, and Chika Sugimoto, “Evaluation of On-Demand Bus Services Applicability to Older Persons,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.20, No.6, pp. 810-817, 2008.
-  Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, “The report of a model project of demand transportation system in inconvenient area,” 2002.
-  H. Yamato, K. Tsubouchi, and K. Hiekata, “A Research on Realtime Scheduling Algorithm for On-demand Bus and Evaluation by Simulation,” Transport Policy Studies’ Review, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 002-010, 2008.
-  K. Tsubouchi, H. Yamato, and K. Hiekata, “A Demand Responsive Transit Service with Emphasizing on Better Punctuality,” Proc. the 5th Int. Workshop on Intelligent Transportation 2007, pp. 93-98.
-  K. Tsubouchi, H. Yamato, and K. Hiekata, “The Development of A New Public Transportation System: On-Demand Bus,” Proc. AEARU Joint Workshop-ICASS 2007, China, pp. 363-366, 2007.
-  J. Jaw, A. R. Odoni, H. N. Psaraftis, and N. H. M. Wilson, “A Heuristic Algorithm for the Multivehicle Advance Request Dial-ARide Problem with Time Windows,” Transportation Research Part B, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 243-257, 1986.
-  A. Fabri and P. Recht, “On dynamic pickup and delivery vehicle routing with several time windows and waiting times,” Transportation Research Part B, Vol.40, No.4, pp. 335-350, 2006.
-  Top page of On demand Bus,
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.