Development and Control of a Small Biped Walking Robot Using Shape Memory Alloys
Mami Nishida*, Hua O. Wang**, and Kazuo Tanaka*
*Department of Mechanical Engineering and Intelligent Systems, The University of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu, Tokyo 182-8585 Japan
**Department of Aerospace and Mecanical Engineering, Boston University
-  M. Vukobratovic and D. Juricic, “Contribution to the Synthesis of Biped Gai,” IEEE Trans. on Bio-Medical Engineering, Vol.BME-16, No.1, pp. 1-6, 1969.
-  K. Hirai, “Current and Future Perspecive of Honda Humanoid Robot,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.2, pp. 500-508, 1997.
-  Y. Kuroki, “A small biped entertainment robot,” Int. Symposium on Micromechatronics and Human Science, pp. 3-4, 2001.
-  S. M. Dutta and F. H. Ghorbel, “Differential Hysteresis Modeling of a Shape Memory Alloy Wire Actuator,” IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 189-197, April, 2005.
-  M. Hashimoto, M. Takeda, H. Sagawa, I. Chiba, and K. Sato, “Shape memory alloy and robotic actuators,” Journal of Robotic Systems, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 3-25, 1985.
-  K. Y. Tu, T. T. Lee, C. H. Wang, and C. A. Chang, “Design of Fuzzy Walking Pattern (FWP) for a Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) Biped Robot,” Robotica, Vol.17, pp. 373-382, 1999.
-  J. Kudva, B. Sanders, J. Pinkerton-Florance, and E. Garcia, “Overview of the DARPA/AFRL/NASA smart wing Phase 2 program,” in Proc. SPIE, Vol.4332, pp. 383-389, 2001.
-  M. Ikuta, M. Tsukamoto, and S. Hirose, “Shape memory alloy servo actuator system with electric resistance feedback and application for active endoscope,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp.427-430, 1988.
-  M. Bergamasco, F. Salsedo, and P. Dario, “Shape memory alloy micromotors for direct-drive actuation of dexterous artificial hands,” Sensors Actuat., Vol.7, No.1, pp. 115-119, 1989.
-  K. Gabriel, W. Trimmer, and J. Walker, “A micro rotary actuator using shape memory alloys,” Sensors Actuat., Vol.15, No.1, pp. 95-102, 1988.
-  R. Jebens, F. Salsedo, and P. Dario, “Microactuators for aligning optical fibers,” Sensors Actuat., Vol.20, No.1, pp. 65-72, 1989.
-  J. Harrison and D. Hodgson, “Use of TiNi in mechanical and electrical connectors,” in Proc. Int. Symp. Shape Memory Effects and Applications, pp. 517-523, 1975.
-  V. Michaud, “Can shape memory alloy composites be smart?,” Script. Mater. Vol.50, No.2, pp. 249-253, 2004.
-  Y. Sugiyama and S. Hirai, “Deformation movement of Soft Circle Robot using SMAfibers,” Proc. of 4th SICE sysmposium on System Integration, pp. 1112-1113, Dec. 2003.
-  A. Baz, S. Poh, J. Ro et al., “Active Control of NitiNol-Reinforced Composite Beam,” Intelligent Structure System, Solid Mechanics and its Applications, Vol.13, Kluwer Academic Publisher, pp. 169-212, 1992, 7.
-  Y. Aoki, Y. Iwase, and G. Ben, “Vibration Monitoring and Vibration Suppression for FRP Structure by Using SMA/GF HybridLaminates,” Proc. of Third Japan-Korea Joint Symposium on Composite Materials, Oct. 2002.
-  “Council of Forest Industries Canada,”
-  F. Inoue, K. Kurita, R. Moroto et al., “Development of Adaptive Structure by Variable Geometry Truss,” Proc. of 22th Int. Symposium on Automationand obotics in Construction, pp. 63-68, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.