Emulation of Human Walking by Biped Humanoid Robot with Heel-Contact and Toe-Off Motion
Hideki Kondo*, Yu Ogura*, Kazushi Shimomura*,
Shimpei Momoki*, Tatsu Okubo*, Hun-Ok Lim**,
and Atsuo Takanishi***
*Graduate School of Advanced Science and Engineering, Waseda University, 17 Kikui-cho, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-0044, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kanagawa University, 3-27-1 Rokkakubashi, Kanagawa-ku, Yokohama 221-8686, Japan
***Department of Modern Mechanical Engineering, Waseda University, 2-2 Wakamatsu-cho, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-8480, Japan
The foot mechanism and pattern generation we propose for a biped humanoid robot achieves human-like heel-contact toe-off walking. Placing its heel and toes simultaneously on the ground while walking makes it difficult for a robot to take long strides and mimic human gaits. To solve this problem, we developed a biped foot with one passive toe joint based on human gaits analyzed by motion capture and propose pattern generation for human-like walking based on the zero moment point (ZMP) criterion. Using a genetic algorithm, we optimize walking parameters to generate continuous, smooth foot trajectories. Results of experiments in heel-contact toe-off walking in ground reaction force (GRF) using the biped humanoid robot WABIAN-2 demonstrated the similarity between proposed and human walking.
Shimpei Momoki, Tatsu Okubo, Hun-Ok Lim, and
and Atsuo Takanishi, “Emulation of Human Walking by Biped Humanoid Robot with Heel-Contact and Toe-Off Motion,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.20, No.5, pp. 739-749, 2008.
-  Robotics Society of Japan (Ed.), “Handbook of Robotics,” Corona Publishing Co., Ltd., 2005.
-  S. Kajita, “Humanoid Robot,” Ohmsha, Ltd., 2005.
-  Y. Ogura, T. Kataoka, K. Shimomura, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “A Novel Method of Biped Walking Pattern Generation with Predetermined Knee Joint Motion,” Proc. of 2004 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2831-2836, 2004.
-  H. Takemura, H. Iwama, J. Ueda, Y. Matsumoto, and T. Ogasawara, “A Study of the Toe Function for Human Walking,” Proc. of 2003 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1P1-3F-E1, 2003.
-  T. Saida, Y. Yokokohji, and T. Yoshikawa, “A Functional Model of Human Toe Mechanisms during Locomotion,” Proc. of the 26th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 2L18, 2004.
-  N. Kanamori, M. Sakaguchi, and J. Furusho, “Development of 14-DOF Biped Walking Robot,” Proc. of 1996 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, pp. 295-296, 1996.
-  S. Makita, S. Ikeda, J. Furusho, and M. Sakaguchi, “Going Up and Down by Biped Walking Robot with Toe Joint,” Proc. of the 15th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, pp. 431-432, 1997.
-  K. Nishiwaki, Y. Murakami, T. Sugihara, S. Kagami, M. Inaba, and H. Inoue, “Expansion of Walking and Fullbody Motion Abilities of Humanoid Robot with Toe Joint,” Proc. of the 6th Robotics Symposia, pp. 113-118, 2001.
-  T. Takahashi and A. Kawamura, “Fast Walking by Biped Walking Robot with Toe Joint,” Proc. of the 19th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 2D14, 2001.
-  K. Nishiwaki, S. Kagami, Y. Kuniyoshi, M. Inaba, and H. Inoue, “Toe Joints that Enhance Bipedal and Fullbody Motion of Humanoid Robots,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3105-3110, 2002.
-  K. Yoshida, “Principle of Structural Medicine –Basic Edition–,” Enterprise Co., Ltd., 1991.
-  R. Suzuki (Ed.), “Proceedings of Gait Analysis Based on Orthopedic Viewpoint,” Therapeia Co., Ltd., 1991.
-  M. Vukobratovic and B. Borovac, “Zero-Moment Point – Thirty Five Years of its Life,” Int. Journal of Humanoid Robotics, Vol.1, pp. 157-173, 2004.
-  A. Takanishi, “Biped Walking Robot Compensating for Moment by Trunk Motion,” Journal of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 348-353, 1993.
-  R. Nakamura and H. Saito, “Clinical Kinematics,” Ishiyaku Publishers, Inc., 1990.
-  M. Kawauchi and M. Mochimaru, “2005 AIST Human Body Properties Database,” Digital Human Laboratory (AIST, Japan).
-  S. Momoki, K. Shimomura, T. Okubo, Y. Ogura, H. Kondo, A. Morishima, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Development of Biped Foot Mechanism Capable of Mimicking Human Foot Motion,” Proc. of the 15th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 3H13, 2006.
-  P. Sardain and G. Bessonnet, “Gait Analysis of a Human Walkerwearing Robot Feet as Shoes,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2285-2292, 2001.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.