Fluid-Resistive Bending Sensor Compatible with a Flexible Pneumatic Balloon Actuator
Satoshi Konishi*, Satoshi Sawano**, Shinya Kusuda**,
and Tsuyoshi Sakakibara**
*Department of Micro System Technology, Ritsumeikan University, Japan
**Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Ritsumeikan University, Japan
The bending sensor we propose for flexible microstructures, specifically the polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) pneumatic balloon actuator (PBA), features a soft structure and flexible movement restricted by conventional solid-state sensors. The proposed sensor detects fluid resistance changes based on the bending of the fluidic PBA. We can use a pneumatic channel as the fluid-resistive bending sensor. We also designed a 5×10 mm×300 μ m PDMS cantilevered stiffness sensor by combining the PBA and the bending sensor for medical applications.
-  S. Konishi, M. Nokata, O. C. Jeong, S. Kusuda, T. Sakakibara, M. Kuwayama and H. Tsutsumi, “Pneumatic micro hand and Miniaturized parallel link robot for micro manipulation robot system,” Proc. of the 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Orlando, Florida, May, 2006, pp. 1036-1041.
-  K. Suzumori, T. Hama and T. Kanda, “New Pneumatic Rubber Actuators to Assist Colonoscope Insertion,” Proc. of the 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Orlando, Florida, May, 2006, pp. 1824-1829.
-  N. Chen, J. Engel, S. Pandya, and C. Liu, “Flexible Skin with Two-Axis Bending Capability Made using Weaving-by-Lithography Fabrication Method,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. of MEMS 2006, Istanbul, Turkey, Jan. 22-26, 2006, pp. 330-333.
-  E. S. Hwang, J. H. Seo, and Y. J. Kim, “A Polymer- Based Flexible Tactile Sensor for Norman and Shear Load Detection,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. ofMEMS 2006, Istanbul, Turkey, Jan. 22-26, 2006, pp. 714-717.
-  F. Kawai, P. Cusin, and S. Konishi, “Thin Flexible End-Effecter using Pneumatic Balloon Actuator,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. of MEMS 2000, Miyazaki, Japan, Jan. 2000, pp. 391-396.
-  S. Konishi, F. Kawai, and P. Cusin, “Thin flexible end-effector using pneumatic balloon actuator,” SENSORS AND ACTUATORS 2001, pp. 28-35, 2001.
-  K. Noda, K. Hoshino, K. Matsusmoto, and I. Shimoyama, “Fabrication of the Flexible Sensor using SOIWafer by Removing the Thick Silicon Layer,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. of MEMS 2006, Istanbul, Turkey, Jan. 22-26, 2006, pp. 122-125.
-  Y. Lu and C. J. Kim, “Micro-Finger Articulation by Pneumatic Parylene Balloons,” Transducers’03, Boston, USA, June 8-12, 2003, pp. 276-279.
-  O. C. Jeong, S. Kusuda, and S. Konishi, “All PDMS Pneumatic Balloon Actuators for Bidirectional Motion of Micro Finger,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. of MEMS 2005, Miami Beach, Florida, USA, Jan. 30-Feb. 3, 2005, pp. 407-410.
-  O. C. Jeong, S. Konishi, and S. Kusuda, “All PDMS Pneumatic Microfinger With Bidirectional Motion and Its Application,” Journal of Microelectro-Mecahnical Systems, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 896-903, August, 2006.
-  S. Konishi, “Small, soft and safe actuator by using MEMS-based pneumatic balloon actuator,” Asia- Pacific Conf. of Transducers and Micro-Nano Technology —APCOT 2006, pp. 144-147, 2006.
-  S. Konishi, M. Nokata, O. C. Jeong, S. Kusuda, T. Sakakibara, M. Kuwayama, and H. Tsutsumi, “Pneumatic micro hand and miniaturized parallel link robot for Micro Manipulation Robot System,” 2006 IEEE Robotics and Automation Conf. (ICRA2006), pp. 1036-1041, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.