Patient-Specific IVR Endovascular Simulator with Augmented Reality for Medical Training and Robot Evaluation
Seiichi Ikeda*, Carlos Tercero Villagran*, Toshio Fukuda*,
Yuta Okada*, Fumihito Arai**, Makoto Negoro***,
Motoharu Hayakawa***, and Ikuo Takahashi****
*Dept. of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Aichi 464-8603, Japan
**Dept. of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
***Dept. of Neurosurgery School of Medicine, Toyoake, Aichi 470-1192, Japan
****Dept. of Neurosurgery, Anjo Kosei Hospital
-  A. Molyneux, R. Kerr, I. Stratton, P. Sandercock, et al. ;International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT) Collaborative Group, “International Subarachnoid Aneurysm Trial (ISAT) of neurosurgical clipping versus endovascular coiling in 2143 patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a randomised trial,” Lancet, Vol.360, pp. 1267-1274, 2002.
-  P. Ng, M. S. Khangure, C. C. Phatouros, M. Bynevelt, et al., “Endovascular Treatment of Intracranial Aneurysms With Guglielmi Detachable Coils: Analysis of Midterm Angiographic and ClinicalOutcomes,” Stroke, Vol.33, pp. 210-217, 2002.
-  S. C. Johnston, D. R. Gress, and J. G. Kahn, “Which unruptured cerebral aneurysms should be treated?: A cost? utility analysis,” Neurology, Vol.52, pp. 1806-1815, 1999.
-  J. E. Jordan, M. P. Marks, B. Lane, and G. K. Steinberg, “Costeffectiveness of endovascular therapy in the surgical management of cerebral arteriovenous malformations,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.17, pp. 247-254, 1996..
-  P. Bairstow, A. Dodgson, J. Linto, and M. Khangure, “Comparison of cost and outcome of endovascular and neurosurgical procedures in the treatment of ruptured intracranial aneurysms,” Australasian Radiology, Vol.46, pp. 249-251, 2002.
-  M. Tanimoto, F. Arai, T. Fukuda, H. Iwata, et al., “Micro Force Sensor for Intravascular Neurosurgery,” ICRA 1997, pp 1561-1566, 1997.
-  M. Tanimoto, F. Arai, T. Fukuda, and M. Negoro, “Augmentation of Safety in Tele-operation System for Intravascular Neurosurgery,” ICRA 1998, pp. 2890-2895, 1998.
-  C. W. Kerber, C. B. Heilman, and P. H. Zanetti, “Transparent elastic arterial model I: a brief technical note,” Biorheology, Vol.26, pp. 1041-1049, 1998.
-  C. W. Kerber and C. B. Heilman, “Flowdynamics in the carotid artery: 1. Preliminary observations usig a transparent elastic model,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.13, pp. 173-180, 1992.
-  P. Gailloud, J. R. Pray, M. Muster, M. Piotin, J. H. D. Fasel, and D. A. Rufenacht, “An in vitro anatomic model of the human cerebral arteries with saccular arterial aneurysms,” Surg Radiol Anat, Vol.19, pp. 119-121, 1997.
-  P. Gailloud, J. R. Pray, M. Muster, M. Piotin, et al., “In vitro models of intracranial arteriovenous fistulas for evaluation of new endovascular treatment materials,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.20, pp. 291-295, 1999..
-  K. Sugiu, J. B. Martin, B. Jean, P. Gailloud, et al., “Artificial Cerebral AneurzsmModel forMedical Testing, Training, and Research,” Neurol Med Chir, Vol.43, pp. 69-73, 2003.
-  F. Mottu, P. Gailloud, D. Massuelle, D. A. Rufecacht, et al., “In vitro assessment of new embolic liquids prepared from preformed polymers and water-miscible solvents for aneurysm treatment,” Biomaterials, Vol.21, pp. 803-811, 2000.
-  B. W. Chong, C. W. Kerber, R. B. Buxton, and L. R. Frank, “Blood flow dynamics in the vertebrobasilar system: Correlation of a transparent elastic model and MR angiography,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.15, pp. 733-745, 1994.
-  S. Tateshima, Y. Murayama, J. P. Villablanca et al., “In vitro measurement of fluid-induced wall shear stress in unruptured cerebral aneuryms harboring blebs,” Stroke, Vol.34, pp. 193-199, 2003.
-  A. M. Norbash and R. J. Singera, “Videographic Assessment of the embolic characteristics of three polymeric compounds: Ethylene vinyl alcohol, cellulose acetate, and liquid urethane,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.22, pp. 334-340, 2001.
-  M. P. Marks, H. Chee, R. P. Liddell, G. K. Steinberg, et al., “A mechanically detachable coil for the treatment of aneurysms and occlusion of blood vessels,” Am. J. Neuroradiol, Vol.15, pp. 821-827, 1994.
-  T. A. Altes, H. J. Cloft, J. G. Short, A. DeGast, et al., “Creation of saccular aneurysms in the rabbit: A model suitable for tesintg endovasucular devices,” Am. J. Roentgenology, Vol.174, pp. 349-354, 2000.
-  R. A. Caldwell, J. E. Woodell, S. P. Ho, S. W, Shalaby, et al., “In vitro evaluation of phosphonylated low-density polyethylene for vascular appliations,” J. Biomed Mater Res, Vol.62, pp. 514-524, 2002.
-  S. Ikeda, F. Arai, T. Fukuda, M. Negoro, et al., “Patient-Tailored Cerebral Arterial Model for Simulating Neurovascular Intervention (1st In Vitro Reproduction of Vasculature Structure with Biomechanics),” Journal of Japan Society ofMechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.71, No.707, pp. 260-2672, 2005. (in Japanese).
-  S. Ikeda, F. Arai, T. Fukuda, M. Negoro et al., “An In Vitro Patient-Specific Biological Model of the Cerebral Artery Reproduced with a Membranous Configuration for Simulating Endovascular Intervention,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 327-334, 2005.
-  S. Ikeda, F. Arai, T. Fukuda, M. Negoro et al., “An In Vitro Patient-Tailored Model of Human Cerebral Artery for Simulating Endovascular Intervention,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, No.3749, pp. 925-932, 2005.
-  P. A. Turski, M. F. Stieghorst, C. M. Strother, et al. “Digital Subtraction Angiography “Road Map”,” AJR, Vol.139, pp. 1233-1234,
-  A. Chong, M. C. Soulen, R. A. Baum, et al. “Balloon Embolization of the Internal Iliac Artery before Aneurysm Endograft Deployment,” JVIR, Vol.12, pp. 637-639,
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.