A Study on the Mechanism and Locomotion Strategy for New Snake-Like Robot Active Cord Mechanism – Slime model 1 ACM-S1
Saori Sugita*, Kazunori Ogami**, Guarnieri Michele*,
Shigeo Hirose*, and Kensuke Takita***
*Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
**Canon Inc. Robot Development Propulsion Project, 70-1 Yanagi-cho, Saiwai-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa 212-8602, Japan
***HiBot Corporation, 201 University Corporate Relations Bldg., 2-10-1 Kamata, Ota-ku, Tokyo 144-0052, Japan
This paper presents ACM-S1 (Active Cord Mechanism – Slime model 1), a snake-like robot. Conventional snake-like robots have difficulty negotiation uneven ground. In this paper, we propose “a bending and expanding joint unit” which has three degrees of freedom (3DOF) in inchworm/angleworm-like motion and has been developed to solve this problem. The ACM-S1 we developed is composed of a series of these joint units. Experiments conducted to evaluate ACM-S1’s performance demonstrate the effectiveness of inchworm motion over uneven ground and of angleworm motion over flat, smooth ground.
-  S. Hirose, “Biologically Inspired Robots (Snake-like Locomotor and Manipulator),” Oxford University Press, 1987.
-  M. Mori and S. Hirose, “Development of Active Cord Mechanism ACM-R3 with Agile 3D mobility,” Proc. Of IROS, pp. 1552-1557, 2001.
-  M. Mori and S. Hirose,“Three-dimentional serpentine motion and lateral rolling by Active Cord Mechanism ACM-R3,” Proc. Of IROS, pp. 829-834, 2002.
-  M. Mori, H. Yamada, and S. Hirose, “Design and development of Active Cord Mechanism ‘ACM-R3’ and its 3-dimentional locomotion control,” The Journal of Robotics Society Japan, Vol. 23, No.7, 2005.
-  M. Mori and S. Hirose, “ Locomotion of 3D Snake-Like Robots –Shifting and Rolling Control of Active Cord Mechanism ACMR3–,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No. 5, 2006.
-  H. Ohno and S. Hirose, “Design of Slim Slime Robot and its Gait of Locomotion,” Proc. Of IROS, pp. 707-715, 2001.
-  H. Yamada, S. Chigisaki, M. Mori, K. Takita, K. Ogami, and S. Hirose, “Development of Amphibious Snake-like Robot ACM-R5,” Proc. Of 36th Int. Symposium on Robotics, pp. TH3C4, 2005.
-  A. Crespi, A. Badertscher, A. Guiqnard, A. J. Ijspeert, “Swimming and Crawring with an Amphibious Snake Robot,” Proc. of ICRA, pp. 3024-3028, 2005.
-  G. S. Chirikjian and J. W. Burdick, “Design and Experiments with a 30 DOF Robot,” Proc. Of ICRA, pp. 113-119, 1993.
-  G. S. Chirikjian and J. W. Burdick, “The Kinematics of Hyperredundant Robot Locomotion,” Proc. Of ICRA, pp. 781-793, 1995.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.