Wheel Locomotion of a Biped Robot Using Passive Rollers – Large Biped Robot Roller Walking Using a Variable-Curvature Truck –
Masaaki Kumagai* and Kaoru Tamada**
*Tohoku Gakuin University
This paper proposes the leg-wheel locomotion of a biped robot. The feet of the robot consist of wheels that move forward with the periodic motion of a leg under a double-leg support. There are many types of approach leg-wheel hybrid systems; however, biped system with passive wheels is rarely used. A special axle mechanism is introduced so that the wheels could smoothly track a curved path for propulsive motion. Finally, the robot achieves not only straight and circular motion but also pivoting motion that is significantly faster than walking, while implementing a minimal number of simple components. The concept of locomotion, function of the mechanism, and experimental results are described in this paper.
-  S. Nakajima, E. Nakano, and T. Takahashi, “Motion Control Technique for Practical Use of a Leg-Wheel Robot on Unknown Outdoor Rough Terrains,” Proc. of 2004 IROS, Japan, pp. 1353-1358, 2004.
-  J. A. Smith, I. Sharf, and M. Trentini, “PAW: a HybridWheeled-Leg Robot,” Proc. of 2006 ICRA, Florida, pp. 4043-4048, 2006.
-  J. A. Smith, I. Sharf, and M. Trentini, “Bounding Gait in a Hybrid Wheeled-Leg Robot,” Proc. of 2006 IROS, China, pp. 5750-5755, 2006.
-  G. Endo and S. Hirose, “Study on Roller-Walker (Multi-mode Steering Control and Self-contained Locomotion),” Proc. 2000 ICRA, CA, pp. 2808-2814, 2000.
-  K. Hashimoto, T. Hosobata, Y. Sugahara, Y. Mikuriya, H. Sunazuka, M. Kawase, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Realization by Biped Legwheeled Robot of Biped Walking and Wheel-driven Locomotion,” Proc. of 2005 ICRA, Spain, pp. 2970-2975, 2005.
-  W. Weiguo, W. Yu, and L. Feng, “Development, Stability Locomotion Analysis and Experiments of Wheeled-Locomotion Mechanism for a Humanoid and Gorilla Robot,” Proc of Int. Conf on Robotics and Biomimetics, China, pp. 1390-1395, 2006.
-  O. Matsumoto, S. Kajita, and K. Komoriya, “Flexible Locomotion Control of a Selft-contained Biped Leg-wheeled System,” Proc. of 2002 IROS, Switzerland, pp. 2599-2604, 2002.
-  M. Miwa and K. Maeda, “High-speed Sliding of Two-Legged Robot with Passive Roller,” Proc. of Robomec 07, JSME, Japan, pp. 2A1-K06, 2007, (in Japanese).
-  M. Higano, Y. Ujita, and T. Taguchi, “Development of biped skating robot ”BSR-1”,” Proc. of Robomec 06, JSME, Japan, pp. 1A1-D32, 2006, (in Japanese).
-  K. Hashimoto, Y. Sugahara, et al., “Sliding Motion of Biped Walking Robots Mounted on PassiveWheels —1st Report: Realization of Swizzle Motion by Inline Skates—,” Proc. of Robomec 07, JSME, Japan, pp. 1A1-E11, 2007, (in Japanese).
-  G. Endo, “Robot system and its control method, and passive wheels,” Japanese Patent, Japan, patent application laid-open disclosure number 2006-68884, 2004/2006, (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.