Furniture Model Creation Through Direct Teaching to a Mobile Robot
Kimitoshi Yamazaki*, Takashi Tsubouchi**, and Masahiro Tomono***
*Grad. School of Science. and Inf. The Univ. of Tokyo ,7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan
**Grad. School of Syst. and Inf. Eng. Univ. of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Iabaraki, Japan
***Dept. of Syst. Robotics, Toyo Univ., 2100 Kujirai, Kawagoe, Saitama, Japan
If mobile robots can handle these furniture autonomously, it is expected that multiple daily jobs, for example, storing a small object in a drawer, can be performed by the robots. However, it is a perplexing process to give several pieces of knowledge about the furniture to the robots manually. In our approach, by utilizing sensor data from a camera and a laser range finder which are combined with direct teaching, a handling model can be created not only how to handle the furniture but also an appearance and 3D shape. Experimental results show the effectiveness of our methods.
-  K. Nagatani and S. Yuta, “Autonomous Mobile Robot Navigation Including Door Opening Behavior-System Integration of Mobile Manipulator to Adapt Real Environment,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Field and Service Robotics, pp. 208-215, 1997.
-  J. Miura, Y. Shirai, and N. Shimada, “Development of a Personal Service Robot with User-Friendly Interfaces,” 4th Int. Conf. on Field and Service Robotics, pp. 293-298, 2003.
-  L. Petersson, P. Jensfelt, D. Tell, M. Strandberg, D. Kragic, and H. I. Christensen, “Systems Integration for Real-World Manipulation Tasks,” Proc. 2002 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 2500-2505, 2002.
-  N. Y. Chong and K. Tanie, “Object Directive Manipulation Through RFID,” Proc. Int. Conf. on Control, Automation, and Systems, pp. 22-25, 2003.
-  R. Katsuki, J. Ohta, T. Mizuta, T. Kito, T. Arai, T. Ueyama, and T. Nishiyama, “Design of Artificial Marks to Determine 3D Pose By Monocular Vision,” Proc. 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 995-1000, 2003.
-  E. S. Neo, K. Maruyama, T. Sakaguchi, Y. Kawai, and K. Yokoi, “A Behavior Level Operation System for Humanoid Robots,” Proc. IEEE-RAS Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, pp. 327-332, 2006.
-  K. Okada, M. Kojima, Y. Sagawa, T. Ichino, K. Sato, and M. Inaba, “Vision based behavior verification system of humanoid robot for daily environment tasks,” 6th IEEE-RAS Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, pp. 7-12, 2006.
-  J. D. Todd, “Door Opening and Handle Manipulation by Automatic Guided Vehicles,” Computer. Aided Production Engineering. edited by V.C. Venkatesh and J.A.McGeough Elsevier, pp. 373-378, 1991.
-  T. Inamura, N. Kojo, and M. Inaba, “Situation Recognition and Behavior Induction based on Geometric Symbol Representation of Multimodal Sensorimotor Patterns,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5147-5152, 2006.
-  H. Tominaga, J. Takamatsu, K. Ogawara, H. Kimura, and K. Ikeuchi, “Symbolic Representation of Trajectories for Skill Generation,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.4, pp. 4077-4082, 2000.
-  K. Okada, T. Ogura, A. Haneda, J. Fujimoto, F. Gravot, and M. Inaba, “Humanoid Motion Generation System on HRP2-JSK for Daily Life Environment,” 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 1772-1777, 2005.
-  S. Nakaoka, A. Nakazawa, K. Yokoi, H. Hirukawa, and K. Ikeuchi, “Generating Whole Body Motions for a Biped Humanoid Robot from Captured Human Dances,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3905-3910, 2003.
-  H. Asada and Y. Asari, “The Direct teaching of tool manipulation skills via the impedance identification of human motion,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1269-1274, 1988.
-  http://www.hokuyo-aut.jp/products/urg/urg.htm
-  D. G. Lowe, “Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints,” Int. Journal of Computer Vision, Vol.60, No.2, pp. 91-110, 2004.
-  J. Shi and C. Tomasi, “Good Features to Track,” IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pettern Recognition, pp. 593-600, 1994.
-  M. J. Swain and D. H. Ballard, “Color Indexing,” Int. Journal of Computer Vision, Vol.7, pp. 11-32, 1991.
-  K. Yamazaki, T. Tsubouchi, and M. Tomono, “Motion Plannning for a Mobile Manipulator Based on Joint Motions for Error Recovery,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 7-12, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.