VR Applied Asobi-Litation System for Dementia Elderly in Group Homes
Mieko Ohsuga*, Yumiko Inoue**, Wataru Hashimoto**,
and Fumitaka Nakaizumi*
*Biomedical Engineering, Osaka Institute of Technology, 5-16-1 Omiya, Asahi-ku, Osaka 535-8585, Japan
**Faculty of Information Science and Technology, Osaka Institute of Technology, 1-79-1 Kitayama, Hirakata, Osaka 573-0196, Japan
-  H. Miyoshi, F. Ueno, and N. Shimoyama, “Asobi-litation,” Kirara Shobo, 1999.
-  M. Ohsuga, “VR aiming at mental and physical activation of the elderly,” Journal of the Virtual Reality Society of Japan, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 81-86, 2003.
-  H. Wakamatsu, T. Uzuka, K. Tanaka, S. Togo, K. Ishibashi, and T. Nakabayashi, “A training of psychological and physiological functions of slightly senile elderly patients based on their enjoyment of “play time” using virtual reality,” Proc. of the 10th Symposium on Biomedical and Physiological Engineering, Vol.10, pp. 73-76, 1995.
-  K. Tsukamoto and T. Wada, “VR sports for rehabilitation,” Journal of the Virtual Reality Society of Japan, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 112-119, 2002.
-  J. Furusho, K. Koyanagi, U. Ryu, A. Inoue, and K. Oda, “Development of Rehabilitation Robot System with Functional Fluid Devices for Upper Limbs,” Int. Journal of Human-friendly Welfare Robotics Systems, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 23-27, 2003.
-  M. Ohsuga, K. Hashima, K. Hirasawa, T. Sakaguchi, S. Miwa, N. Kobayashi, and S. Shiono, “Development of an “Asobi-litation” System for activation of mental and physical functions of the elderly and its applicability to group recreation program,” Transactions of the Virtual Reality Society of Japan, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 61-68, 2004.
-  T. Fuchimoto, J. Hasegawa, and M. Kaneko, “Physical fitness and walking ability of the elderly – I. A kinematic analysis of foot movement during walking,” Physical Education. Vol.27, pp. 109-118,1998.
-  T. Ikai, H. Tatsuno, and S. Miyano, “Relationship between walking ability and balance functioin,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.43, No.12, pp. 828-833, 2006.
-  M. Maeda, R. Yanagihashi, Y. Sawada, M. Ohira, and T. Fujiwara, “A mehod of assessment on physical activity and performance of elderly and its application for residents in a group home,” The Japanese Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol.30, No.13, pp. 2157-2167, 2004.
-  K. Kubota, “Exercise and prefrontal cortex,” Journal of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, Vol.52, No.12, pp. 934-941, 2002.
-  Y. Inoue and M. Ohsuga, “An interactive system using moving images for facilitating exercises,” Image Lab, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 7-14, 2005.
-  E. Bisson, B. Contant, H. Sveistrup, and Y. Lajoie, “Functional balance and dual-task reaction times in older adults are improved by virtual reality and biofeedback training,” Cyberpsychology and Behavior, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 16-23, 2007.
-  J. Y. Kim, C. G. Song, and N. G. Kim, “A new VR bike system for balance rehabilitation training,” Proc. of 7th Int. Conf. on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, pp. 790-799, 2001.
-  T. Nishizawa, “Measurement of walking ability in older adults,” Handbook on human measurement, Asakura Publishing Co. Ltd., pp. 781-783, 2003.
-  D. Podsiadlo and S. Richardson, “The timed “Up & Go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.39, No.2, pp. 142-148, 1991.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.