Performance Evaluation of Teleoperation for Manipulating Micro Objects Using Two-Fingered Micro Hand
Kenji Inoue*, Daisuke Nishi**, Tomohito Takubo***,
Tamio Tanikawa****, and Tatsuo Arai***
*Department of Bio-System Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Yamagata University, 4-3-16 Jonan, Yonezawa, Yamagata 922-8510, Japan
***Department of Systems Innovation, Graduate School of Engineering Science, Osaka University, 1-3 Machikaneyama, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-8531, Japan
****National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, AIST Tsukuba Central 2, 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8568, Japan
We developed a dexterous micromanipulation system consisting of a two-fingered micro hand, an autofocusing optical microscope, an image processor, and user interfaces. The micro hand has 6 degrees of freedom (DOF), 3 DOF each for two fingers that work similar to a thumb and forefinger or chopsticks. This hand grasps, moves, rotates and releases micron-scale objects. In teleoperation mode, the user controls hand motion with a joystick or keyboard while observing the microscope image on a TV monitor. We evaluate teleoperation performance for manipulating micron-scale objects. Several types of motion command methods proposed include a keyboard or joystick as operation device, and position or rate command modes. The tasks experimentally evaluated are picking, grasping, moving, and releasing micron-size objects, i.e., a glass grain in air and a yeast cell in liquid. These are compared in positioning accuracy and task execution time.
-  K. Ikuta, “The Application of Micro/Miniature Mechatronics to Medical Robotics,” Proc. of IROS 1988, pp. 9-14, 1988.
-  F. Arai, K. Morishima, T. Kasugai, and T. Fukuda, “Bio-Micro-Manipulation (New Direction for Operation Improvement),” Proc. of IROS 1997, 1997.
-  S. Yu and B. J. Nelson, “Microrobotic Cell Injection,” Proc. of IEEE ICRA 2001, pp. 620-625, 2001.
-  T. Tanikawa and T. Arai, “Development of a Micro-manipulation System Having a Two-fingered Micro Hand,” IEEE Trans. Robotics and Automation, pp. 152-162, 1999.
-  T. Tanikawa, M. Ukiana, K. Morita, Y. Koseki, K. Ohoba, K. Fujii, and T. Arai, “Design of 3DOF Parallel Mechanism with Thin Plate for Micro Finger Module in Micro Manipulation,” Proc. of 2002 IEEE ICIRS, pp. 1778-1783, 2002.
-  T. Arai, A. Suzuki, Y. Kato, Y. Mae, K. Inoue, and T. Tanikawa, “Automated Calibration for Micro Hand Using Visual Information,” Proc. of IROS 2002, pp. 293-298, 2002.
-  Y. Katoh, T. Arai, K. Inoue, Y. Mae, and T. Tanikawa, “Vision System for Micromanipulation,” J. Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 203-209, 2002.
-  T. Arai, A. Suzuki, Y. Mae, K. Inoue, M. Taya, and T. Tanikawa, “Automated Micro Handling System for Micro-scale Objects,” Proc. of JUSFA 2004, 2004.
-  J. E. Colgate, “Power and Impedance Scaling in Bilateral Manipulation,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 2292-2297, 1991.
-  T. Sakaki, Y. Inoue, and S. Tachi, “Tele-Existence Virtual Dynamic Display Using Impedance Scaling with Physical Similarity,” Proc. of the 1993 JSME Int. Conf. on Advanced Mechatronics, pp. 127-132, 1993.
-  Y. Yokokohji, N. Hosotani, and T. Yoshikawa, “Analysis of maneuverability of micro-teleoperation systems,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 237-242, 1994.
-  K. Kaneko, H. Tokashiki, K. Tanie, and K. Komoriya, “Impedance Shaping based on Force Feedback Bilateral Control in Macro-Micro Teleoperation System,” Proc. of IEEE ICRA, pp. 710-715, 1997.
-  Y. Ando, H. Sawada , Y. Okazaki, Y. Ishikawa, T. Kitahara, Y. Tatsue, and K. Furuta, “Development of Micro Grippers,” Micro System Techonologies 90, 1st Int. Conf. on Micro Electro, Opto., Mechanic Systems and Components, pp. 844-849, 1990.
-  C. J. Kim, A. P. Pisano, and R. S. Muller, “Silicon processed overhanging microgripper,” J. of Micro Electro Mechanics Systems, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 31-36, 1992.
-  F. Arai, D. Ando, T. Fukuda, Y. Nonoda and T. Oota “Micro Manipulation Based on Micro Physics,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 236-241, 1995.
-  Y. Suzuki, “Flexible Microgripper and its Application to Micromeasurement of Mechanical and Thermal Properties,” Proc. of The Ninth Annual Int. Workshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 406-411, 1996.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.