Versatile Robotic Biomanipulation with Haptic Interface
Gilgueng Hwang, Preeda Chantanakajornfung,
and Hideki Hashimoto
Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, Japan
This paper presents a multi-scale extension of versatile robotic biomanipulation powered by single-master multislave (SMMS) bilateral teleoperation. We tested the potential possibility of SMMS multiscale extension to variety of biomanipulation applications. Our target goal is to design a multi-scale biotweezing tool. The SMMS configuration was previously proven useful for single manipulation control. First, cell handling experiments such as pick-and-place, injection, and cell indentation with probing from meso- to nanoscale are shown using salmon roe, modeled styren block and a dried yeast cell representing biological applications. A simulation environment was constructed to emulate potential experiments on the subnanoscale. Based on our lab-on-a-tip approach, we expect our proposal to become a multifunctional platform for biomanipulation. We describe an SMMS biomanipulation experiment on the extracellular scale and simulation for potential subcellular applications. Virtual reality (VR) simulation is used in rapid prototype manipulation or assembly models prior to actual biomanipulation experiments and is used as an experimental platform.
and Hideki Hashimoto, “Versatile Robotic Biomanipulation with Haptic Interface,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.19, No.5, pp. 585-591, 2007.
-  Y. Sun and B. J. Nelson, “Autonomous Injection of Biological Cells Using Visual Servoing,” Experimental Robotics VII, D. Rus and S. Singh (Eds.), Springer-Verlag London Ltd., pp. 169-178, 2001.
-  G. G. Hwang, P. Szemes, N. Ando, and H. Hashimoto, “Development of a single-master multi-slave tele-micromanipulation system,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.21, No.3-4, pp. 329-349, February 2007.
-  M. Sitti, “Atomic Force Microscope Probe Based Controlled Pushing for Nanotribological Characterization,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.9, No.2, June 2004.
-  D. G. Grier, “A revolution in optical manipulation,” Nature, Vol.424, Aug 2003.
-  W. B. Griffin, W. R. Provancher, and M. R. Cutkosky, “Feedback Strategy for Shared Control in Dexterous Telemanipulation,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2791-2796, 2003.
-  S. Wong, J. Harper, P. Lansbury, and C. Liebor, “Carbon Nanotube Tips: High-Resolution Probes for Imaging Biological Systems,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 120(4), pp. 603-604, 1998.
-  C. Mueller-Falcke, S. D. Gouda, S. Kim, and S.-G. Kim, “A nanoscanning platform for bio-ngineering: an in-plane probe with switchable stiffness,” Nanotechnology, Vol.17, No.4, pp. S69-S76, doi:10.1088/0957-4484/17/4/011, 2006.
-  D. J. Lee and M. W. Spong, “Bilateral teleoperation of multiple cooperative robots over delayed communication networks: theory,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 2005.
-  B. J. Nelson, L. X. Dong, A. Subramanian, and D. J. Bell, “Hybrid Nanorobotic Approaches to NEMS,” Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics: Robotics Researc, Series Ed. B. Siciliano, O. Khatib, and F. Groen (Eds.), Springer-Verlag London Ltd., 2006.
-  F. Beyeler, D. J. Bell, B. J. Nelson, Y. Sun, A. Neild, S. Oberti, and J. Dual, “Design of a Micro-Gripper and an Ultrasonic Manipulator for Handling Micro Sized Objects,” Proc. Of IEEE Intelligent Robot and Systems(IROS’2006), China, 2006.
-  D. Kim, Y. Sun, S. Yun, C. N. Hwang, S. Lee, B. Kim, and B. J. Nelson, “Mechanical Analysis of Chorion Softening in Pre-Hatching Stages of Zebrafish Embryos,” IEEE Transaction on Nanobioscience, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 89-94, June 2006.
-  http://www.nanotechnik.com/products.html
-  J. C. Phillips, R. Braun, W. Wang, J. Gumbart, E. Tajkhorshid, E. Villa, C. Chipot, R. D. Skeel, L. Kale, and K. Schulten, “Scalable molecular dynamics with NAMD,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, 26, pp. 1781-1802, 2005.
-  B. R. Brooks, R. E. Bruccoleri, B. D. Olafson, D. J. States, S. Swaminathan, and M. Karplus, “CHARMM: A program for macromolecular energy, minimization, and dynamics calculations,” J. Comp. Chem., 4, pp. 187-217, 1983.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.