Development of a Multi-Compartment Micro-Cell Culture Device as a Future On-Chip Human: Fabrication of a Three-Compartment Device and Immobilization of Mature Rat Adipocytes for the Evaluation of Chemical Distributions
Hidenari Nakayama*, Hiroshi Kimura*, Kikuo Komori*,
Teruo Fujii*, and Yasuyuki Sakai*,**
*Institute of Industrial Science (IIS), University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**Center for Disease Biology and Integrative Medicine (CBIM), University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
-  B. Blaauboer, “The integration on physico-chemical properties, in vitro-derived toxicity data and physiologically based kinetic and dynamic as modeling a tool in hazard and risk assessment,” A commentary, Toxicology Letters, Vol.138, No.2, pp. 161-171, 2003.
-  K. Viravaidya, A. Sin, and M. L. Shuler, “Development of a microscale cell culture analog to probe naphthalene toxicity,” Biotechnology Progress, 20, pp. 316-323, 2004.
-  K. Viravaidya and M. L. Shuler, “Prediction of naphthalene bioaccumulation using an adipocyte cell line model,” Biotechnology Progress, 18, pp. 174-181, 2002.
-  K. Viravaidya and M. L. Shuler, “Incorporation of 3T3-L1 cells to mimic bioaccumulation in a microscale cell culture analog device for toxicity studies,” Biotechnology Progress, 20, pp. 590-597, 2004.
-  HmREL Corporation home page,
-  E. Leclerc, Y. Sakai, and T. Fujii, “Cell culture in 3-dimensional microfluidic structure of PDMS (polydimethylsiloxane),” Biomedical Microdevices, 5(2), pp. 109-114, 2003.
-  E. Leclerc, Y. Sakai, and T. Fujii, “Microfluidic PDMS (Polydimethylsiloxane) Bioreactor for Large-Scale Culture of Hepatocytes,” Biotechnology Progress, 20(3), pp. 750-755, 2004.
-  L. H. Lu, K. S. Ryu, and C. Liu, “A magnetic microstirrer and array for microfluidic mixing. Journal of microelectromechanical systems, 11(5), pp. 462-469, 2002.
-  P. K. Yuen, G. Li, Y. Bao, and U. R. Muller, “Microfluidic devices for fluidic circulation and mixing improve hybridization signal intensity on DNA arrays,” Lab on a chip, 3, pp. 46-50, 2003.
-  K. S. Ryu, K. Shaikh, and C. Liu, “Micro magnetic stir-bars integrated in parylene surface-micromachined channels for mixing and pumping,” 7th Int. Conf. on miniaturized chemical and biochemical analysis system, pp. 635-638, 2003.
-  K. S. Ryu, K. Shaikh, E. Goluch, Z. Fan, and C. Liu, “Micro magnetic stir-bar mixer integrated with parylene microfluidic channels,” Lab on a chip, 4, pp. 608-613, 2004.
-  A. K. Agarwal, S. S. Sridharamurthy, D. J. Beebe, and H. Jiang, “Programmable autonomous micromixers and micropumps,” Journal of microelectromechanical systems, 14(6), pp. 1409-1421, 2005.
-  K. Tsuchiya, T. Yoshimoto, Y. Hirono, T. Tateno, T. Sugiyama, and Y. Hirata, “Angiotensin II induces monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 expression via nuclear factor-B-dependent pathway in rat preadipocyte. American journal of physiology,” Endocrinology and metabolism, p. 291, E771-E778, 2006.
-  H. Sugihara, N. Yonemitsu, S. Miyabara, and S. Toda, “Proliferation of unilocular fat cells in the primary culture,” Journal of Lipid Research, 28, pp. 1038-1045, 1987.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.