Development of an Articulated Mechanical Hand with Enveloping Grasp Capability
Nobuaki Imamura*1, Yuya Nakamura*2, Seiichi Yamaoka*3,
Hidenori Shirasawa*4, and Hiroyuki Nakamoto*5
*1Department of Mechanics and Robotics, Faculty of Engineering, Hiroshima International University, 5-1-1 Hirokoshingai, Kure, Hiroshima 737-0112, Japan
*2Mechanical system advanced course, Kobe City College of Technology, 8-3 Gakuen-Higashimachi, Nishi-ku, Kobe 251-2194, Japan
*3Toyo Press Industry Co. Ltd., 1-9-36 Nagasu-Nishitori, Amagasaki, Hyogo 660-0807, Japan
*4The Advanced Materials Processing Institute Kinki Japan (AMPI), 7-1-8 Doi-cho, Amagasaki, Hyogo 660-0083, Japan
*5Hyogo Prefectural Institute of Technology, 3-1-12 Yukihira-cho, Suma-ku, Kobe 654-0037, Japan
Recently, factory automation and labor saving efforts have required that objects of different shapes and sizes be held and grasped by a single robot hand mechanism. To meet such needs, we have developed an articulated mechanical hand that has an enveloping grasp capability. Since this hand can envelope and grasp an object mechanically, it can be used widely in factories where parts of different shapes and sizes must be handled. This paper details the hand’s design which we developed using GaeaDrive® in its joint driving mechanism. Grasping configuration of the mechanical hand for different object sizes and conditions for realizing a suitable Grasping configuration are discussed analytically. And the usefulness of the developed mechanical hand is demonstrated experimentally.
Hidenori Shirasawa, and Hiroyuki Nakamoto, “Development of an Articulated Mechanical Hand with Enveloping Grasp Capability,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.19, No.3, pp. 308-314, 2007.
-  N. Imamura, S. Nojima, S. Ota, S. Yamaoka, and H. Shirasawa, “Development of mechanical hand with an envelope grasp capability for various shapes of parts,” Proc. of the 2005 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1P2-N-085, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Nakamura, N. Imamura, S. Yamaoka, H. Shirasawa, and H. Nakamoto, “Envelope grasp by the articulated mechanical hand,” Proc. of the 2005 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1A1-B27, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  Kitagawa,
-  H. Fukumoto, Y. Baba, and N. Imamura, “Development of a humanoid robot hand,” SICE System Integration Division Annual Conference, pp. 277-278, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  T. Okada, “Object-handling system for manual industry,” IEEE Trans. Sys. Man and Cybern., Vol.SMC9-2, pp. 79-89, 1979.
-  M. T. Mason and J. K. Salisbury, “Robot hands and mechanics of manipulation,” MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, p. 165, 1985.
-  S. C. Jacobsen, E. K. Iversen, D. F. Knutti, R. T. Johnson, and K. B. Biggers, “Design of the Utah/M.I.T. Dexterous Hand,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, San Francisco, pp. 1520-1532, 1986.
-  H. Maekawa, K. Yokoi, K. Tanie, M. Kaneko, N. Kimura, and N. Imamura, “Development of a Three-Fingered Robot Hand with Stiffness Control Capability,” Mechatronics, Vol.2, No.5, pp. 483-494, 1992.
-  N. Imamura, M. Kaneko, and T. Tsuji, “Development of Three-Fingered Robot Hand with a New Design Concept,” Proc. of the IASTED Robotics and Manufacturing, Banff, pp. 44-49, 1998.
-  H. Kawasaki, H. Shimomura, and T. Mouri, “Anthropomorphic Robot Hand: Gifu Hand III,” Proc. Of Int. Conf. ICCAS2002, pp. 1288-1293, 2002.
-  A. Namiki, Y. Imai, M. Ishikawa, and M. Kaneko, “Development of a High-speed Multi-fingered Hand System and Its Application to Catching,” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2666-2671, 2003.
-  I. Yamano and T. Maeno, “Development of a Five-fingered Robot Hand using Ultrasonic Motors and Elastic Elements,” J. of the Robotics Soc. Of Japan, Vol.23, No.8, pp. 977-985, 2005.
-  W. T. Townsend, “MCB-Industrial Robot Future Article: The Barret Hand grasper-programmably flexible part handling and assembly,” Industrial Robot: An International Journal, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 181-188, 2000.
-  J. Butterfass, M. Grebenstein, H. Liu, and G. Hirzinger, “DLRHNAD: Next Generation of a Dextrous Robot Hand,” Proc. of the 2001 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, pp. 109-114, 2001.
-  Toyo Press Industry Co. Ltd., “GaeaDrive” catalogue, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  N. Imamura, Y. Nakamura, S. Yamaoka, H. Shirasawa, and H. Nakamoto, “A consideration on grasp configuration of the articulated mechanical hand,” SICE System Integration Division Annual Conference, pp. 293-294, 2005 (in Japanese).
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.