Mapping Facial Expression to Internal States Based on Intuitive Parenting
Ayako Watanabe*, Masaki Ogino**, and Minoru Asada**,***
*Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
**Asada Synergistic Intelligence Project, ERATO, Japan Science and Technology Agency, FRC1, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
***Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
-  G. Gergely and J. S. Watson, “Early socio-emotional development: Contingency perception and the social-biofeedback model,” in P. Rochat (Ed.), “Early Social Cognition: Understanding Others in the First Months of Life,” Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, pp. 101-136, 1999.
-  A. Mehrabian, “Implicit communication of emotions and attitudes,” Wadsworth, 1981.
-  M. H. Johnson and J. Morton, “Biology and cognitive development,” Blackwell, 1991.
-  D. Rosenstein and H. Oster, “Differential facial responses to four basic tastes in newborns,” Blackwell Publishing, Vol.59, pp. 1555-1568, Dec., 1988.
-  D. Matsui, T. Minato, K. F. MacDorman, and H. Ishiguro, “Generating natural motion in an android by mapping human motion,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1089-1096, 2005.
-  T. Hashimoto, M. Sennda, and H. Kobayashi, “Realization of realistic and rich facial expressions by face robot,” 2004 1st IEEE Technical Exhibition Based Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 37-38, Nov., 2004.
-  C. Breazeal, D. Buchsbaum, J. Gray, D. Gatenby, and B. Blumberg, “Learning from and about others: Towards using imitation to bootstrap the social understanding of others by robots,” Artificial Life, Vol.11, pp. 31-62, 2005.
-  T. Kobayashi, Y. Ogawa, K. Kato, and K. Yamamoto, “Learning system of human facial expression for a family robot,” in Proceeding of the Sixth International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 481-486, 2004.
-  H. Papousek and M. Papousek, “Intuitive parenting: a dialectic counterpart to the infant’s precocity in integrative capacities,” Handbook of Infant Development, pp. 669-720, 1987.
-  P. Rochat, “The infant’s world,” Artificial Life, 2001.
-  M. Asada, K. F. MacDorman, H. Ishiguro, and Y. Kuniyoshi, “Cognitive developmental robotics as a new paradigm for the design of humanoid robots,” in Proceeding of the 1st IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Humanoid Robots, CDROM, 2000.
-  J. A. Russell, “A circumplex model of affect,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.39, pp. 1161-1178, 1980.
-  H. Yamada, “Visual information for categorizing facial expression of emotion,” Japan Psychology Review, Vol.35, pp. 172-181, 1993.
-  K. Lorenz, “Studies in animal and human behavior,” London: Methuen, 1970-1971.
-  T. Kohonen, “Self-organizing maps,” Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 1995.
-  T. Singer, B. Seymour, J. O’Doherty, H. Kaube, R. J. Dolan, and C. D. Frith, “Empathy for pain involves the affective but not sensory components of pain,” Science, Vol.303, No.20, pp. 1157-1162, Feb., 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.