Experimental Stiffness Measurement of WL-16RII Biped Walking Vehicle During Walking Operation
Yusuke Sugahara*, Giuseppe Carbone**, Kenji Hashimoto***,
Marco Ceccarelli**, Hun-Ok Lim*,****,
and Atsuo Takanishi*,***,*****
*Advanced Research Institute for Science and Engineering, Waseda University, 3-4-1 Ookubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
**Laboratory of Robotics and Mechatronics, DiMSAT, University of Cassino, Via Di Biasio 43, 03043 Cassino (FR), Italy
***Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Waseda University, 3-4-1 Ookubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
****Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kanagawa University, 3-27-1 Rokkakubashi, Kanagawa-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 221-8686, Japan
*****School of Science and Engineering, Waseda University, 3-4-1 Ookubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
This paper describes an experimental method for evaluating the stiffness of a biped walking robot. A reliable procedure is proposed as based on a simplified version of Milli-CaTraSys (Milli Cassino Tracking System) with three wire encoders and two six-axis force-torque sensors. This measures both applied wrench and resulting compliant displacements. Experiments conducted on a prototype of the biped walking vehicle WL-16RII (Waseda Leg – No. 16 Refined II) under different dynamic conditions provided useful information for both design and control.
-  Takanishi Laboratory webpage,
http://www.takanishi.mech.waseda.ac.jp/ , 2006.
-  Y. Sugahara, T. Endo, H.-O. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Control and Experiments of a Multi-purpose Bipedal Locomotor with Parallel Mechanism,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA 2003, pp. 4342-4347, Taipei, Taiwan, September, 2003.
-  Y. Sugahara, T. Hosobata, Y. Mikuriya, H. Sunazuka, H. O. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Realization of Dynamic Walking by a Biped Locomotor Carrying a Human,” Proc. of the 9th RSJ/JSME/SICE Robotics Symposia, pp. 96-101, Okinawa, Japan, March 8-9, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Sugahara, T. Hosobata, Y. Mikuriya, H. Sunazuka, H.-O. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Realization of Dynamic Human-Carrying Walking by a Biped Locomotor,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA 2004, pp. 3055-3060, New Orleans, USA, April, 2004.
-  Y. Sugahara, Y. Mikuriya, T. Hosobata, H. Sunazuka, M. Kawase, K. Hashimoto, H.-O. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Support Torque Reduction Mechanism for Biped Locomotor with Parallel Mechanism,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ IROS 2004, pp. 3213-3218, Sendai, Japan, October, 2004.
-  Y. Sugahara, A. Ohta, K. Hashimoto, H. Sunazuka, M. Kawase, C. Tanaka, H.-O. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Walking Up and Down Stairs Carrying a Human by a Biped Locomotor with Parallel Mechanism,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ IROS 2005, pp. 3425-3430, Edmonton, Canada, August, 2005.
-  K. Takita, R. Hodoshima, and S. Hirose, “Fundamental mechanism of dinosaur-like robot TITRUS-II utilizing coupled drive,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ IROS 2000, pp. 1670-1675, Takamatsu, Japan, October, 2000.
-  Y. Ota, T. Tamaki, K. Yoneda, and S. Hirose, “Development of walking manipulator with versatile locomotion,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA 2003, pp. 477-483.
-  Y. Konuma and S. Hirose, “Development of the stair-climbing biped robot Zero Walker-1,” Proc. of the 19th Annual Conf. of the RSJ, pp. 851-852, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Konuma and S. Hirose, “Development of 2 types of leg-wheel vehicle with the function of stable stair-climbing,” Proc. of the 8th RSJ/JSME/SICE Robotics Symposia, pp. 160-167, Shizuoka, Japan, March, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Takeda, M. Higuchi, and H. Funabashi, “Development of a walking chair (Fundamental investigations for realizing a practical walking chair),” Proc. of the CLAWAR2001, pp. 1037-1044, Karlsruhe, Germany, September, 2001.
-  T. Kamada, “My Agent: A Practical Personal Assistant,” Proc. of the JSME ROBOMEC ’94, pp. 1107-1112, Kobe, Japan, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  http://www.independencenow.com/ibot/index.html.
-  http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/special/robot/index.html ,
March 11, 2004.
-  http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/04/1203_1d.html ,
December 3, 2004.
-  J. Duffy, “Statics and kinematics with applications to robotics,” Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 153-169, 1996.
-  J. P. Merlet, “Parallel Robots,” Springer Verlag, Dordrecht, 2006.
-  L. W. Tsai, “Robot analysis: the mechanics of serial and parallel manipulators,” John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp. 260-297, 1999.
-  E. I. Rivin, “Stiffness and damping in mechanical design,” Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 1999.
-  M. Ceccarelli, “Fundamentals of Mechanics of Robotic Manipulation,” Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 2004.
-  G. Carbone, “Stiffness evaluation of multibody robotic systems,” Ph.D. dissertation, LARM, University of Cassino, Cassino, 2003.
-  R. N. Vaishnav and E. B. Magrab, “A general procedure to evaluate robot positioning errors,” International J. of Robotics Research, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 59-74, 1987.
-  H.-O. Lim, S. A. Setiawan, and A. Takanishi, “Balance and Impedance Control for Biped Humanoid Robot Locomotion,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ IROS 2001, Maui, pp. 494-499, 2001.
-  M. Xie, “Flexible Multibody System Dynamics: Theory and Applications,” Taylor & Francis, Bristol, 1994.
-  A. A. Shabana, “Dynamics of Multibody Systems,” Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2005.
-  C. Gosselin, “Stiffness mapping for parallel manipulators,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 377-382, 1990.
-  G. Alici and B. Shirinzadeh, “Exact stiffness analysis and mapping for a 3-SPS+S parallel manipulator,” Proc. of the AUTOMATION 2003, Taiwan, paper F120, 2003.
-  M. Ceccarelli and G. Carbone, “A stiffness analysis for CaPaMan (Cassino Parallel Manipulator),” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.37, No.5, pp. 427-439, 2002.
-  G. Carbone, Y. Sugahara, H. O. Lim, A. Takanishi, and M. Ceccarelli, “Stiffness Performances Estimation for Biped Locomotor WL-15,” IEEE/ASME AIM 03, Kobe, pp. 956-961, 2003.
-  M. Ceccarelli and G. Carbone, “Numerical and experimental analysis of the stiffness performance of parallel manipulators,” 2nd International Colloquium Collaborative Research Centre 562, Braunschweig, pp. 21-35, 2005.
-  H. Y. Kim and D. A. Streit, “Configuration dependent stiffness of the Puma 560 manipulator: analytical and experimental results,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.30, No.8, pp. 1269-1277, 1995.
-  Italian National Institute for Standards (UNI), “Manipulating Industrial Robots: Performance Criteria and Related Test Methods,” UNI EN 29283 (= ISO 9283), Milan, 1995.
-  American National Standards Institute (ANSI), “American National Standard for Industrial Robots and Robot Systems: Point-to-Point and Static Performance Characteristics – Evaluation,” ANSI/RIA 15.05-1-1990, New York, 1990.
-  H. Van Brussel, “Evaluations and Testing of Robots,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.32, pp. 657-664, 1990.
-  C. Dorf (Ed.), “International Encyclopedia of Robotics: Applications and Automation,” New York: Wiley, Vol.3, 1988.
-  G. Carbone and M. Ceccarelli, “A Procedure for Experimental Evaluation of Cartesian Stiffness Matrix,” Proc. of the CISM-IFToMM ROMANSY 2004, Montreal, CD Proceedings, paper Rom04-24, 2004.
-  LARM Laboratory Webpage,
http://webuser.unicas.it/weblarm/larmindex.htm , 2006.
-  G. Carbone and M. Ceccarelli, “A Comparison of Indices for Stiffness Performance Evaluation,” 12th World Congress in Mechanism and Machine Science IFToMM’07, Besanc, on, paper No.831, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.