A Mobile Mapping System for Precise Road Line Localization Using a Single Camera and 3D Road Model
Kiichiro Ishikawa*, Yoshiharu Amano*, Takumi Hashizume*,
Jun-ichi Takiguchi**, and Naoyuki Kajiwara**
*Waseda University, 17 Kikui-cho, Shinjyuku-ku, Tokyo 162-0044, Japan
**Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Kamakura Works, 325 Kamimachiya, Kamakura-shi, Kanagawa 247-8520, Japan
Precise highway alignment data to be used in car navigation and ITS to increase driving safety must be kept up-to-date and accurate. A Mobile Mapping System (MMS) provides a highway alignment database and offers unparalleled productivity when combined with navigation and videogrammetry tools. The MMS we propose features a GPS/Dead Reckoning (DR) combined navigation system, a three-axis GPS-Gyro/Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU), laser scanners, nearly horizontal cameras, and network-based Positioning Augmentation Services (PASTM) (Mitsubishi Electric Corporation) and measures center-line and side-line locations precisely based on a 3D road surface model. The carrier-phased D-GPS/DR navigation system and GPS-Gyro/IMU conducts highly accurate positioning in centimeters and posture estimation at 0.073° rms for heading, 0.064° rms for pitch, and 0.116° for roll. It provides 0.095 m rms accuracy for both center-line and side-line measurement when GPS visibility is sufficient. A comparison of accuracy between static RTK-GPS measurement and MMS measurement on the Tateyama Kurobe alpine route confirmed MMS dynamic measurement accuracy and effectiveness.
-  H. Hirashita, T. Arai, and T. Yoshida, “Automatic Steering System for Rotary Snow Removers,” ISARC2002, Washington, D.C., pp. 443-448, 2002.
-  T. Arai, “ITS Application in the field of snow removal in Japan,” 8th ITS World Congress, Australia, 2001.
-  D. Hanandhar and R. Shibasaki, “VEHICLE-BORNE LASER MAPPING SYSTEM(VLMS) FOR 3-D GIS,” Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2001. IGARSS ’01. IEEE 2001 International, pp. 2073-2075, 2001.
-  C. Frueh and S. J. A. Zakhor, “Data Processing Algorithms for Generating Textured 3D Building Facade Meshes from Laser Scans and Camera Images,” International Journal of Computer Vision, 64(2), pp. 159-184, 2005.
-  C. V. Tao, “Mobile Mapping Technology for Road Network Data Acquisition,” Proc. Journal of Geospatial Engineering, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 1-13, 2000.
-  J. A. Farrel and M. Barth, “The Global Positioning System and Inertial Navigation,” McGrawHill, pp. 142-146, 1999.
-  P. B. Jonathan, “COMPUTATIONAL ANALYSIS OF GPS UDSRAIM ALGORITHMS NEW MEXICO INSTITUTE OF MINING AND TECHNOLOGY,” Ph.D. Dissertation at New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, 1998.
-  K. Ishikawa, J. Takiguchi, Y. Amano, and T. Hashizume, “A Mobile Mapping System for road data capture based on 3D road model,” IEEE International Conference on Control Applications, Munich, Germany, 2006.
-  D. A. Grejner-Brzezinska and C. Toth, “High Accuracy Dynamic Highway Mapping Using a GPS/INS/CCD System with On-The-Fly GPS Ambiguity Resolution,” GISS Users Manual Version 2.0, 2004.
-  H. Gontran, J. Skaloud, and P.-Y. Gillieron, “AMOBILE MAPPING SYSTEM FOR ROAD DATA CAPTURE VIA A SINGLE CAMERA,” 6th optical 3D Measurement Techniques – Zurich, Switzerland, 2003.
-  H. Higuchi, M. Saito, A. Onoda, K. Nishikawa, Y. Shibahara, and Y. Ohmura, “Network-based RTK-GPS for Nation-Wide High Accuracy Positioning and Navigation in Japan,” International Symposium International Space University, 2003.
-  J. Meguro, J. Takiguchi, R. Kurosaki, and T. Hashizume, “Development of an Autonomous Mobile Surveillance System Using a Network-based RTK-GPS,” IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA2005), April 2005.
-  G. Lu, “Development of a GPS Multi-Antenna System for Attitude Determination,” University of Calgary, 1995.
-  C. Wang, “Development of a Low-cost GPS-based Attitude Determination System,” University of Calgary, 2003.
-  B. Hofmann-Wellenhof, H. Lichtenegger, and J. Collins, “GPS Third edition,” Springer-Verlag Wien New York, 1994.
-  S. Yoneyama, Y. Okano, T. Kawamata, K. Miyahara, and Y. Okada, “An Examination of The Detection of Road Line and Crosswalk Using Road Structure Information,” FIT2004, pp. 193-194, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.