Improvement of Ride Quality of a Wheelchair When it Passes over Small Steps
Masaru Higuchi*, Tomonori Shinagawa**, Hirohiko Ito*,
Yukio Takeda*, and Koichi Sugimoto*
*Department of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 O-okayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
**Paramount Bed Co., LTD., 2078 Shirahata, Sammu-city, Chiba 289-1306, Japan
-  P. D. Carmen, R. A. Cooper, S. G. Fitzgerald, M. L. Boninger, E. J. Wolf, and G. Songfeng, “Whole-Body Vibration During Manual Wheelchair Propulsion With Selected Seat Cushions and Back Supports,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 311-322, 2003.
-  E. J. Wolf, R. A. Cooper, P. D. Carmen, M. L. Boninger, and G. Songfeng, “Using the Absorbed Power Method to Evaluate Effectiveness of Vibration Absorption of Selected Seat Cushions during Manual Wheelchair Propulsion,” Medical Engineering and Physics, Vol.26, No.9, pp. 799-806, 2004.
-  R. A. Cooper, “Wheelchair Selection and Configuration,” p. 125, Igaku-shoin, 2000.
-  R. A. Cooper, E. J. Wolf, S. G. Fitzgerald, M. L. Boninger, R. Ulerich, and W. A. Ammer, “Seat and Footrest Shocks and Vibrations in Manual Wheelchairs With and Without Suspension,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.84, No.1, pp. 96-102, 2003.
-  T. Iwamoto, T. Moriya, and K. Shibuya, “Improvement of Wheel Chair Step-Traveling Performance by Swing Arm Caster,” Proceedings of 22nd Annual Conference of Robotics Society of Japan, Sep. 2004.
-  D. P. VanSickle, R. A. Cooper, M. L. Boninger, and C. P. DiGiovine, “Analysis of Vibrations Induced During Wheelchair Propulsion,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 409-421, 2001.
-  Y. Matsuoka, K. Kawai, and R. Sato, “Vibration Simulation Model of Passenger-Wheelchair System in Wheelchair-Accessible Vehicle,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol.125, No.4, pp. 779-785, 2003.
-  R. Jacob and A. Mircea, “Modeling the Human Body/Seat System in a Vibration Environment,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol.125, No.2, pp. 223-231, 2003.
-  Y. Wan and J. M. Schimmels, “Optimal Seat Suspension Design Based on Minimum Simulated Subjective Response,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol.119, No.4, pp. 409-416, 1997.
-  K. Hashimoto, Y. Sugawara, M. Kawase, A. Ohta, C. Tanaka, T. Sawato, A. Hayashi, N. Endo, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Development of Bipedal Locomotor with Parallel Mechanism –12th Report: Walking Pattern Generation Using Dynamic Model of Human–,” Proceedings of 24th Annual Conference of Robotics Society of Japan, Sep. 2006.
-  T. A. Laursen, Computational Contact and Impact Mechanics, Springer Verlag, 2002.
-  P. W. A. Zegelaar, S. Gong, and H. B. Pacejka, “Tyre Models for the Study of In-Plane Dynamics,” Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol.23, Supplement, pp. 578-590, 1993.
-  G. Gwanghum and E. N. Parviz, “An Analytical Model of Pneumatic Tyres for Vehicle Dynamic Simulations. Part 1: Pure slips,” International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 589-618, 1990.
-  K. M. Captain, A. B. Boghani, and D. N. Wormley, “Analytical Tire Models for Dynamic Vehicle Simulation,” Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 1-32, 1979.
-  S. Hasegawa, N. Fujii, K. Akahane, Y. Koike, and M. Sato, “Realtime Rigid Body Simulation for haptic interactions based on contact volume of polygonal objects,” Transactions of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.40, No.2, pp. 1-10, 2004.
-  C. W. Mousseaua and G. M. Hulbert, “An Efficient Tire Model for the Analysis of Spindle Forces Produced by a Tire Impacting Large Obstacles,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol.135, No.1-2, pp. 15-34, 1996.
-  International Standard Organization, “Evaluation of the Human Exposure to Whole-body vibration–Part 1: General Requirements,” ISO 2631-1, 1985.
-  Japanese Industrial Standards Committee, “Whole-body vibration–Part 2: General requirements for Measurement and Evaluation Method,” JIS B 7760-2, 2004.
-  H. Yonekawa, T. Maeno, and Y. Matsuoka, “Design Support Methods for Comfort in Riding of the Wheelchair Transporting Apparatus–1st Report, Vibration Simulation Model on the Human-Wheelchair System,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.67, No.656, pp. 1107-1114, 2001.
-  M. Higuchi, Y. Takeda, H. Funabashi, and T. Matsushita, “A Terrain Adaptive Strategy of a Biped Walking Machine Based on an Information of Advance/Delay of Landing Time of a Transfer Foot–2nd Report, Dynamic Characteristics of a Walking Machine with the Terrain Adaptive Mechanism,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.69, No.679, pp. 788-795, 2003.
-  M. Higuchi, Y. Takeda, and H. Funabashi, “Development of a Brake for Robotic Use–3rd Report: Effect of Manufacturing Error on Brake Application Force,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.72, No.723, pp. 3641-3648, 2006.
-  M. Higuchi, H. Funabashi, and Y. Takeda, “Development of a Brake for Robotic Use–2nd Report: Dynamic Analysis of the Wedge Mechanism Driven by a Solenoid,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.68, No.673, pp. 2736-2742, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.