Master-Slave Control for Construction Robot Teleoperation – Application of a Velocity Control with a Force Feedback Model –
Hironao Yamada*, Gong Ming-de**, and Zhao Dingxuan***
*Department of Mechanical & Systems Engineering, Gifu University, 1-1 Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
**Virtual System Laboratory, Gifu University, 1-1 Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
***College of Mechanical Science and Engineering, Jinlin University, No.142, Renmin Street, Changchun 130025, China
Remote-control robotics using bilateral control is useful in restoring damaged areas and in extreme environments such as space, the seabed, and deep underground. This study deals with a master-slave system for a tele-operated construction robot. The system consists of an excavator, the construction robot, and two joysticks for operating the robot from a remote place. A fork glove on the front of the excavator acts as a hand for grasping objects. The master and slave correspond, to the joysticks and the fork glove controlled by the operator. In remote control, the operator must feel force from feedback force from the fork glove realistically. We propose a force feedback model based on velocity control of a cylinder to determine external force acting on the fork glove. Specifically, the operator manipulates a joystick to control piston velocity. Based on a bilateral force feedback model with velocity control results for one degree-of-freedom experiments demonstrate that our proposal has good stability and transparency in grasping both flexible and rigid objects.
-  Special Issue, “Unmanned Construction to Become Familiar,” Nikkei Construction, Vol.296, pp. 38-56, 2002 (Nikkei Business Publications Inc., Archive CD-ROM2002, No.155490).
-  R. C. Goertz, “Fundamentals of General-Purpose Remote Manipulators,” Nucleonics, 10-11, pp. 36-42, 1952.
-  E. Nakano, “An Introduction to Robotics,” Ohm Press, pp. 74-77, 1983.
-  S. Kanno, T. Okada, and S. Kitahara, “Unmanned Construction Technique by Remote Control,” Automation of Construction, 534, pp. 17-20, 1994.
-  M. Matsuoka, N. Kimura, and N. Miura, “Execution Effeciency Improvement in Remote Control Construction Machinery,” Proceedings of 6th Symposium on Construction Robots, pp. 127-134, 1997.
-  M. Takasu, “Study on Presentation Technique to the operator implementing remote manipulation with realistic feeling,” Proceedings of structural system, Architectural Institute of Japan, 551, pp. 53-59, 1998.
-  H. Kato, H. Yamada, and T. Muto, “Master-Slave Control for a Tele-Operation System of Construction Robot (Improved Method of Control Compared with a Variable-Gain Symmetric-Position),” Proceeding of the 5th JFPS International Symposium on Fluid Power, Vol.2, pp. 513-518, Japan, 2002.
-  H. Yamada and T. Muto, “Development of a Hydraulic Teleoperated Construction Robot using Virtual Reality –New Master-Slave Control Method and an Evaluation of a Visual Feedback System–,” International Journal of Fluid Power, 4-2, pp. 35-42, 2003.
-  H. Yamada, H. Kato, and T. Muto, “Master-Slave Control for Construction Robot Teleoperation,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 54-60, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.