Development of a Quadruped Walking Robot TITAN XI for Steep Slope Operation – Step Over Gait to Avoid Concrete Frames on Steep Slopes –
Ryuichi Hodoshima*, Takahiro Doi**, Yasushi Fukuda***,
Shigeo Hirose*, Toshihito Okamoto****, and Junichi Mori****
*Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
**Life System Science and Technology, Chukyo University, 101 Tokodachi, Kaizu-cho, Toyota-shi, Aichi 470-0393, Japan
***Mechanical System of Engineering, Tamagawa University, 6-1-1 Tamagawagakuen, Machida-shi, Tokyo 194-8610, Japan
****TAISHO KENSETU Corporation, 2695 Kaneda, Chosei-mura, Chosei-gun, Chiba 299-4332, Japan
We detail a step over gait for a quadruped walking robot that maintains a continuous walking with sufficient stability margin for avoiding ferroconcrete reinforcement frames covering steep slopes. For this gait, the robot must adapt itself to terrain and step over these frames. We propose a terrain-adaptive gait based on an intermittent crawl gait using map information. After introducing the gait control algorithm, we show results of graphical simulation to verify the proposed algorithm. Then, these discussions are established by walking experiments using the developed quadruped walking robot named TITAN XI.
Shigeo Hirose, Toshihito Okamoto, and Junichi Mori, “Development of a Quadruped Walking Robot TITAN XI for Steep Slope Operation – Step Over Gait to Avoid Concrete Frames on Steep Slopes –,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.19, No.1, pp. 13-26, 2007.
-  R. Hodoshima et al., “Development of TITAN XI: a Quadruped-Walking Robot to Work on Slopes – Design of system and mechanism,” Proceedings of IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 792-797, August, 2004.
-  S. Hirose et al., “The Gait Control System of a Quadruped Walking Vehicle,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 289-323, 1986.
-  S. Hirose et al., “Normalized Energy Stability Margin and its Contour of Walking Vehicles on Rough Terrain,” Proceedings of International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 181-186, May, 2001.
-  S. Hirose and K. Yokoi, “The Standing Posture Transformation Gait of a Quadruped Walking Vehicle,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 345-359, 1988.
-  R. B. McGhee and A. A. Frank, “On the stability properties of quadruped creeping gaits,” Mathematical Biosciences, Vol.3, pp. 331-351, 1968.
-  H. Tsukagoshi and S. Hirose, “Intermittent crawl gait for quadruped walking vehicles on rough terrain,” Proceedings of International Conference Climbing and Walking Robots, pp. 323-328, November, 1998.
-  R. Volpe et al., “Enhanced Mars Rover Navigation Techniques,” Proceedings of International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 926-931, April, 2000.
-  E. Krotov and R. Hoffman, “Terrain mapping for walking planetary rover,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol.6, No.10, pp. 728-739, 1994.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.