Self-Stabilizing Dynamics for a Quadruped Robot and Extension Toward Running on Rough Terrain
Zu Guang Zhang*, Hiroshi Kimura**,
and Yasuhiro Fukuoka***
*Dept. of Precision Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, the University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
**Graduate School of Information Systems, Univ. of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofu-ga-oka, Chofu, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
***Department of Intelligent Systems Engineering, Ibaraki University, 4-12-1 Nakanarusawa-cho, Hitachi-shi, Ibaraki 316-8511, Japan
We designed and analyzed a control strategy that achieves autonomous adaptation and good energy efficiency in running by a quadruped robot. Our control strategy, inspired by previous studies on self-stabilizing dynamics, combines rhythm and torque generators with delayed feedback control (DFC) to achieve stable running and essential energy input. We developed an adaptation strategy to extend this control strategy that adjusts the robot’s leg touchdown angle based on the body’s pitch angle. Used together with our proposed control, it enables robust bounding over a shallow slope. Simulation results confirmed the feasibility of our proposal and its performance.
and Yasuhiro Fukuoka, “Self-Stabilizing Dynamics for a Quadruped Robot and Extension Toward Running on Rough Terrain,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.19, No.1, pp. 3-12, 2007.
-  R. J. Full and D. E. Koditschek, “Templates and anchors: neuromechanical hypotheses of legged locomotion on land,” J. of Experimental Biology, Vol.202, pp. 3325-3332, 1999.
-  R. Blickhan, “The spring-mass model for running and hopping,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.22, pp. 1217-1227, 1989.
-  T. A. McMahon and G. C. Cheng, “The mechanics of running: how does stiffness couple with speed?,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.23, pp. 65-78, 1990.
-  A. Seyfarth, H. Geyer, M. Gunther, and R. Blickhan, “A movement criterion for running,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.35, pp. 649-655, 2002.
-  R. Blickhan and R. J. Full, “Similarity in multilegged locomotion: bouncing like a monopode,” J. of Comparative Physiology, A173, pp. 509-517, 1993.
-  M. H. Raibert, “Legged Robots That Balance,” MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1986.
-  M. Ahmadi and M. Buehler, “Stable control of a simulated one-legged running robot with hip and leg compliance,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 96-104, 1997.
-  A. Altendorfer, D. E. Koditschek, and P. Holmes, “Stability Analysis of Legged Locomotion Models by Symmetry-Factored Return Maps,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.10-11, pp. 979-999, 2004.
-  S. H. Hyon and T. Emura, “Energy-preserving control of a passive one-legged running robot,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 357-381, 2004.
-  I. Poulakakis, J. A. Smith, and M. Buehler, “On the Dynamics of Bounding and Extensions Towards the Half-Bound and the Gallop Gaits,” Proc. of Int. Symp. on Adaptive Motion of Animals and Machines, ThA-I-2, 2003.
-  Z. G. Zhang, Y. Fukuoka, and H. Kimura, “Adaptive Running of a Quadrupedal Robot on Irregular Terrain based on Biological Concepts,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2043-2048, 2003.
-  U. Saranli, M. Buehler, and D. E. Koditschek, “RHex: A Simple and Highly Mobile Hexapod Robot,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.20, No.7, pp. 616-631, 2001.
-  J. G. Cham, J. K. Karpick, and M. R. Cutkosky, “Stride Period Adaptation of a Biomimetic Running Hexapod,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 141-153, 2004.
-  I. Poulakakis, E. Papadopoulos, and M. Buehler, “On the Stable Passive Dynamics of Quadrupedal Running,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1368-1373, 2003.
-  J. G. Cham, S. A. Bailey, J. E. Clark, R. J. Full, and M. R. Cutkosky, “Fast and robust:hexapedal robots via shape deposition manufacturing,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.21, No.10, pp. 869-883, 2002.
-  T. McGeer, “Passive Dynamic Walking,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 62-82, 1990.
-  Y. Sugimoto, K. Osuka, and T. Sugie, “Stabilizing Control of Quasi Passive-Dynamic-Walking for a Legged Robot based on Continuous Delayed Feedback Control,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.4, pp. 435-442, 2005.
-  F. Asano, Z. W. Luo, and M. Yamakita, “Some Extensions of Passive Walking Formula to Active Biped Robots,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3797-3802, 2004.
-  D. P. Krasny and D. E. Orin, “Generating High-Speed Dynamic Running Gaits in a Quadruped Robot Using an Evolutionary Search,” IEEE Trans. on System, Man, Cybernetics, Part B: Cybernetics, Vol.34, No.4, pp. 1685-1696, 2004.
-  K. Osuka, Y. Sugimoto, and T. Sugie, “Stabilization of Semi-Passive Dynamic Walking based on Delayed Feedback Control,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 193-199, 2004.
-  Z. G. Zhang, Y. Fukuoka, and H. Kimura, “Adaptive Running of a Quadruped Robot Using Delayed Feedback Control,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3750-3755, 2005.
-  Z. G. Zhang, H. Kimura, and Y. Fukuoka, “Autonomously Generating Efficient Running of a Quadruped Robot Using Delayed Feedback Control,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.20, No.6, pp. 607-629, 2006.
-  Y. Fukuoka, H. Kimura, and A. H. Cohen, “Adaptive Dynamic Walking of a Quadruped Robot on Irregular Terrain based on Biological Concepts,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.22, No.3-4, pp. 187-202, 2003.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.